Installing a "vintage" version...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Installing a "vintage" version... Reply with quote

Greetings and salutations, ladies and gentlecats...

I've come up against a unique problem, and, I need a little bit of help getting beyond it, if that's even possible. I'll also mention up front that I know this is probably going to be largely beyond the scope of what's typical, because of what I'm trying to accomplish, so if a Mod wants to move this post somewhere more appropriate, please do - though it's 100% related to installation so I'm not sure where better to create it.

That being said, I'm trying to install Gentoo on a system. However, I'm using a LiveCD and stage3 from 2007. Specifically, this is the 2007.0 release. I untar the stage3, chroot, do the usual (I'm far from inexperienced with setting up Gentoo systems), and finally emerge sync. Sync works fine, and I go about emerging portage (after setting the default profile, since 2007.0 has long since been retired).

Code:
livecd etc # ls -la make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 Oct 30 11:53 make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0
livecd etc # emerge portage
Calculating dependencies //usr/portage/eclass/python.eclass: line 142: syntax error in conditional expression: unexpected token `('
/usr/portage/eclass/python.eclass: line 142: syntax error near `^(('
/usr/portage/eclass/python.eclass: line 142: `   if [[ "${version_components_groups}" =~ ^((\!)?[[:alnum:]_-]+\?\ )?${version_components_group_regex}(\ ${version_components_group_regex})?$ ]]; then'

!!! ERROR: dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1511:   Called source '/usr/portage/dev-python/python-fchksum/python-fchksum-1.7.1.ebuild'
  python-fchksum-1.7.1.ebuild, line 10:   Called inherit 'distutils'
  ebuild.sh, line 1256:   Called qa_source '/usr/portage/eclass/distutils.eclass'
  ebuild.sh, line 28:   Called source '/usr/portage/eclass/distutils.eclass'
  distutils.eclass, line 13:   Called inherit 'python'
  ebuild.sh, line 1256:   Called die

!!! died sourcing /usr/portage/eclass/python.eclass in inherit()
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

/
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "portage" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-apps/portage-2.2.6 (masked by: required EAPI -2, supported EAPI 0)
- sys-apps/portage-9999 (masked by: required EAPI -3, supported EAPI 0)
- sys-apps/portage-2.2.7 (masked by: required EAPI -2, supported EAPI 0)
- sys-apps/portage-2.1.12.2 (masked by: required EAPI -2, supported EAPI 0)
- sys-apps/portage-2.2.1 (masked by: required EAPI -2, supported EAPI 0)
- sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.7_p1 (masked by: package.mask)
# Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (14 Jan 2013)
# Mask portage versions not supporting EAPI=5

- sys-apps/portage-2.1.11.62 (masked by: required EAPI -2, supported EAPI 0)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Ok, portage is choking with syntax errors in /usr/portage/eclass/python.eclass. Hum. Ok, so I spun up a second Gentoo install, this time, a current release. Figured I'd try use quickpkg to package up current releases and copy them to the older version. This doesn't work out so well, with portage returning syntax errors and refusing to do anything else.

Code:
livecd / # emerge --version
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 51
    except PermissionDenied as e:
                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Python is staticly compiled against the newer glibc, and can not be upgraded via quickpkg with out taking glibc along with it. At this point, I'll mention that I'm not emerging the packages per se, but, extracting them to / ala stage3 via tar, since portage won't work properly.

At this point, with portage in utter shambles, python errors, and no idea where to go, I'm back to reextracting the stage3 fresh. I don't have a portage snapshot from 2007, only the stage3. This *might* have helped facilitate an upgrade to something more reasonable than python 2.4 but I'm not 100% sure.

Any suggestions or help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm more than happy to scrap this for something else entirely, if that would be possible where as Gentoo isn't. So, let me explain now (after the fact) what I'm attempting to do.

I need a linux box set up, on glibc 2.10 or LOWER, running Python 2.7.4 or 2.7.5. Python 3 is not required. I'd like to have portage working so I can emerge various system tools and utilities that I'll need to configure this box as a buildbot slave. The application I'm compiling ON it depends on the version of glibc installed on the box it's compiled on, and, to support older releases, we're targeting glibc 2.10 and later. The lower the version, the happier I'll be, but I realize that something too old will result in incompatibilities with python. That being said, I'd like to try for 2.7 or 2.8 personally, but I'll take whatever I can get that meets my requirements. I know glibc can't be downgraded once installed (with out a metric ****ton of work and problems) so I've decided to try this upgrade path instead from an older release. If somebody, with experience in downgrading glibc, can offer better suggestions I'm all for it.

I'm also not dead set that this system has to be Gentoo, but, I'd prefer it greatly, since that's what I'm best at. I know I could toss an old 2008 release of Ubuntu on here and be up and running in a matter of hours, but if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, and I'd rather not run their stuff if possible. No disrespect to their community intended, just to Canonical.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 51
    except PermissionDenied as e:

requires python 3

Your also SOL Because of:
Code:
# Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (14 Jan 2013)
# Mask portage versions not supporting EAPI=5

IIRC 2007.0 was <=EAPI3

Since every package in the portage tree is EAPI5, your approach is doomed

What I would do:
  1. Install the current release
  2. Mask glibc > 2.10
  3. Mask GCC > 4.1.2
  4. Mask binutils > 2.20
  5. Set profile to 1
  6. emerge -e system && emerge -e world

Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaseburn,

Why do you want to install a 6 year old gentoo then update it?

You can get the ebuilds you will need but source tarballs will be an issue.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
phaseburn,

Why do you want to install a 6 year old gentoo then update it?

You can get the ebuilds you will need but source tarballs will be an issue.

I explained this in the bottom of my original post, but I can go into a bit more detail.

I need a linux system running glibc 2.10 or lower, to compile some items on. The compiled app becomes dependent on the glibc version installed on the box, and, we want to target glibc 2.10 and higher. Unfortunately, we're using pyinstaller which can only utilize the system's glibc, and links dynamically. Their advice is to pretty much "Compile it on the oldest system you want to support" which is less than helpful. We're looking at getting off of pyinstaller but, that'll take more resources and time than we can allot to the project.

Since glibc downgrades aren't supported on Gentoo, my option seemed pretty clear: get an older version and upgrade. Please note I'm not trying to get a CURRENT version out of my 2007 install, only a "minimum required to compile my project" which at this moment is glibc-2.10 and python 2.7. If you have a better suggestion on how to achieve this, however, I'm all ears.

Again, I'd much rather run Gentoo on this system to match the rest of my infrastructure, not to mention the fact I've been using Gentoo since 1.1 over a decade ago, so I'm much more familiar with it than anything else.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaseburn,

Do the stage3 as you have done, get a portage snapshot of about the right age and install normally without emerge --sync.
Make your own overlay and rummage in the attic for the specific ebuilds you need.

manifest the ebuilds. This will cause them to attempt to fetch the sources, which will be long gone from the Gentoo mirrors.
Ransack the internet for the files you need. Ask here too. Some users never flush distfiles. Mine only go back to 2009, on this box, anyway.

Build the packages you need.

In many cases, you will have to go through intermediate steps to get to where you want to be to beat circular dependencies that were never originally apparent.
portage/python ... glibc/gcc and possibly others

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have a fair bit of stuff, including source packages and portage snapshots, from 2007.
If you're in the UK I can burn a CD and mail it to you - email me (cwrseckford) via gmail
if you are interested and I'll see what I can dig out.

Will
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwr wrote:
I may have a fair bit of stuff, including source packages and portage snapshots, from 2007.
If you're in the UK I can burn a CD and mail it to you - email me (cwrseckford) via gmail
if you are interested and I'll see what I can dig out.

Will

I'm not in the UK, unfortunately, but sincerely appreciate your kind offer. I've found a few things in the attic, and, there's usually historical releases available on non-Gentoo mirrors for the larger projects (python, glibc, etc) so I think I'll be ok with that knowledge.

Going to take a few days to sort this stuff out and get my compile on, but I'll hit you up (and of course, cover shipping), if that's an option should this next attempt fail. I'm located in the US, btw.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaseburn,

Ask here anyway. I'm in the UK and if I can get my old box to start (it has a PSU issue), I should have stuff back to 2002.
I can host it for you so you can pick it up.

--- edit ---

I think /usr/portage may be on its own HDD ...

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups

Last edited by NeddySeagoon on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
phaseburn,

Ask here anyway. I'm in the UK and if I can get my old box to start (it has a PSU issue), I should have stuff back to 2002.

That would be amazing if you do :-) I'll get you a list of what I'm looking for later today or tomorrow, based on my findings in the attic. Thanks so very much, you're a total life saver. One more reason I've been a Gentoo user for so very long - great distro, made even better by the community who uses it :-)
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think we are so great after threads like the SPAWN of Systemd, and Are we losing freedom of choice? :?: :lol:
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every community has its asshats and its saints :-) There's people on both edges of the extremes everywhere you go. On average, I find this community to be far more helpful, generous, knowledgeable, forgiving, and friendly than the averages of other communities (of similar size).
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoot, there's hope for us after all :P
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2007 Stage 3, portage snapshot and distfiles totals around 3.5G, so it'll
fit on a thumb drive. I'd put it online, but I don't have a permanent connection.

Will
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
phaseburn,

--- edit ---

I think /usr/portage may be on its own HDD ...

If Neddy Hosts it, you won't need to, just send him the list....
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will,

Thank you kindly for that. I'll let you know - I've recently found a snapshot from 2008, actually, and most of the files I've needed were fairly easy to get from non-gentoo mirrors. Between the attic link, the portage snapshot, and some diligence, I think I might actually be alright.

And of course, NeddySeagoon's offer to put some of the distfiles on-line that are on the old box (assuming it can be revived) might make posting a flash drive unnecessary entirely. I do highly appreciate your offer, and may still take you up on it, but at this point I might not need it, and wouldn't want you to go through a bunch of trouble :-) I'll keep in touch through out this process, and again, I really am thankful for everybody's help and support with this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: