Joined: 05 Feb 2006
|Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:45 am Post subject: sip/xmpp groupware clients interchangeable?
There are a few threads on this but none of them really fit my situation, and I don't want to poach on somebody else's thread.
We have people on Macs, Windows and Linux. We all universally hate Skype, but it's the best non-paid solution.
- Group or individual text chat, with topics.
- Group or individual voice calling
- Group or individual desktop sharing, like Skype or Webex.
- File sharing (send files to a chat thread)
- It would be really neat if we could get a whiteboard app too.
I was really excited about Jitsi but it turns out the Mac software is not acceptable. One thread got me interested about tox, but it's alpha stage, I need stuff that works. Looking through the rest, I don't see anything that has all the features I need. Desktop sharing is definitely a must-have, we do code reviews and such every day.
Again, Mac, windows and Linux. I'm at a loss, so I guess I have these questions about existing groupware:
- Can clients be interchanged, meaning use one thing on Linux and another on Mac, as long as the same feature is supported?
- How much of a pain is it to juggle one app with a whiteboard and another one with desktop sharing, and another with text chat?