Wireless LAN problem after loading the Gentoo CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Wireless LAN problem after loading the Gentoo CD Reply with quote

Hi buddies!
I was trying to get in Gentoo world, but something really bad happened.
After loading the minimal Gentoo x86 installation 2006.1 CD, my wirelless card stop working. Neither it's status light turns on.
I loaded the CD 3 times: first one with my wireless card turned on, and obviously I didn't found any DHCP connection, no system found. Second one, with the card wireless turned on and with cable connection with the router. The CD tryed to found some DHCP server, but nothing was found, and no operating system. For the third time, I made a fast research here, on Gentoo documentation, and got back trying. On the boot, I pressed F2, and this time my wireless card was turned off before the boot and the cable was connected. Again, no DHCP server and no operating system found. Then, my wireless card stoped working.
I've tryed to get it back using system restore on my windows vista to a real safe point, but didn't work.

With additional detail, on the night before all this mess, I installed the Oracle VirtualBox. Next morning, I had none connection, then I restored my pc, and everything get back fine.

So, I really don't know what is the real problem here, but it's related with one, or both cases up.

Someone can help me?

To help, my notebook specs:
Gateway T-6815, core 2 duo, windows vista home premium.
wireless LAN adapter: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Ethernet LAN adapter: Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC <NDIS 6.0>

Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmr,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Its no longer possible to install Gentoo with a 2006.1 CD. Its kernel is too old to support a modern glibc, so the chroot step will fail.
Start from SystemRescueCD, its gentoo based, has a Graphical User Interface and allows you to follow the handbook with no changes.

Its also has the words "Don't Panic" written on the sleeve in large friendly letters.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
fmr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
fmr,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Its no longer possible to install Gentoo with a 2006.1 CD. Its kernel is too old to support a modern glibc, so the chroot step will fail.
Start from SystemRescueCD, its gentoo based, has a Graphical User Interface and allows you to follow the handbook with no changes.

Its also has the words "Don't Panic" written on the sleeve in large friendly letters.

Thanks NeddySeagon!

Well, I wrote it wrong above, like you saw, and correcting, it's a 2008.0, now I'm sure, because I haven't changed the name of the downloaded archive.

And I solved the problem without any rescue CD. I went into my BIOS, and the option WLAN was "disabled", instead of "on".

Case solved!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: