Amazon flash player issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Amazon flash player issue Reply with quote

While I'm sure this is an issue with amazon and not gentoo or flash player I was wondering if anyone knew how to resolve it.

Amazon instant videos always tries and fails to update my flash player, thus making it impossible to watch movies from amazon on linux. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

I have a fresh install of amd64(x86_64) and am using firefox-bin from portage (9.1) I have tried both independently install flash player and the portage flash-player (from adobe).

Any ideas on how to fix this?
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested watching amazon prime videos on my gentoo computer and it worked excellent. This is what I have installed on my system:
Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.1.102.55  USE="64bit (multilib) vdpau -32bit -kde" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] www-client/firefox-9.0  USE="alsa crashreporter dbus ipc libnotify startup-notification webm -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -pgo -system-sqlite -wifi" LINGUAS="en_US ro -af -ak -ar -ast -be -bg -bn -bn_BD -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -en_GB -en_ZA -eo -es -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy -fy_NL -ga -ga_IE -gd -gl -gu -gu_IN -he -hi -hi_IN -hr -hu -hy -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -kk -kn -ko -ku -lg -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -nso -or -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -sv_SE -ta -ta_LK -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 19 kB
legit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck, I installed the same that you have and it still failed. This forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4049620 seems to suggest that I need 'hal' which in my kernel but there doesn't seem to be any libhal in portage, is that such a thing?
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed...this is another DRM FAIL. Amazon decided they had to have a 'special' version of Flash with DRM support allow access to the Amazon Prime videos...and it requires HAL. It's retarded, but most DRM are retarded. Unless you want to cripple your system with a deprecated HAL package, there is no way around it yet. Think I'll pass. Why do they keep punishing law-abiding customers who just want to use the service they *paid* for? Idiots!

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxFTGOK5LRL3JM
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: