Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Headphones that work well with mobiles? Sennheiser?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Headphones that work well with mobiles? Sennheiser? Reply with quote

Is there any real requirement for Apple?

The CX 880i are noise blocking & Bluetooth (but wired). I guess the Bluetooth is for the audio controls?

Any recommendations?

EDIT:

Apparently volume doesn't work on Android...

While we were able to use the mic and 'Play' button successfully with an Android phone, the volume only works with Apple devices.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need noise canceling?
Do you need volume control?

Do you want something that has good audio quality?

For in the ear Grado came out with a reasonably priced model recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-iGi-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002QL1KRS

If you need noise canceling get Sure headphones, but they are not even close to quality.
I mean you can buy Bose for the same price with half the quality.
Sennheiseris is ok, but they are getting a bit pricy per quality.

I always like grado, I had the SR125 they look like dollar general headphones, but are so much better then Bose Triports at the same price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you are looking for. Sennheiser isn't a bad choice some of the best headphones I have ever had for 25USD. I have the Astrogaming A-star earbuds now. http://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/ear-buds/a-star-in-ear-headset

A bit on the pricey side and wired for Apple products but the sound is decent and they are compatible with their Mixamp devices which does add to their overall usefulness.
_________________
Ware wa mutekinari.
Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Do you need noise canceling?
Do you need volume control?

Do you want something that has good audio quality?

For in the ear Grado came out with a reasonably priced model recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-iGi-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002QL1KRS

If you need noise canceling get Sure headphones, but they are not even close to quality.
I mean you can buy Bose for the same price with half the quality.
Sennheiseris is ok, but they are getting a bit pricy per quality.

I always like grado, I had the SR125 they look like dollar general headphones, but are so much better then Bose Triports at the same price.
Well, I was interested in over ear headphones which did noise cancelling and were also wireless. They're pricey, so I haven't gotten around to it yet (I also have a crappy Sansa player, so there was no rush).

I'm eventually going to get an Android tablet or smartphone* which would serve primary duty as an audio player. Given that, it seemed like a good idea to incorporate the ability to use the headphones for talking (and easily answer calls/stop/start music). I'd forgo the controls if there were hardware buttons for the same, but it seems like Android is trying to go button-less (boo hiss). And I'd like decent sound quality given that is the primary purpose. I'm assuming that could impact call quality as well.

* The battery on my backup RAZR is nearly dead, so I'm going to have to this year.

Are Grado decent over all, or does it depend on the model? Thanks for the suggestions.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Headphones that work well with mobiles? Sennheiser? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Is there any real requirement for Apple?
You got an iPhone?
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
A bit on the pricey side and wired for Apple products but the sound is decent and they are compatible with their Mixamp devices which does add to their overall usefulness.
Mixamp devices? (I'll browse the site). Wired for Apple seems to be a theme. I'd have thought many would support Android too... it isn't as if it is a niche OS.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Headphones that work well with mobiles? Sennheiser? Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
pjp wrote:
Is there any real requirement for Apple?
You got an iPhone?
No. That's why I was asking. They were listed as "designed for Apple," but that isn't always accurate. In that case, it appears to be. So, they won't be of much use to me.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
ak47gen wrote:
Do you need noise canceling?
Do you need volume control?

Do you want something that has good audio quality?

For in the ear Grado came out with a reasonably priced model recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-iGi-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002QL1KRS

If you need noise canceling get Sure headphones, but they are not even close to quality.
I mean you can buy Bose for the same price with half the quality.
Sennheiseris is ok, but they are getting a bit pricy per quality.

I always like grado, I had the SR125 they look like dollar general headphones, but are so much better then Bose Triports at the same price.
Well, I was interested in over ear headphones which did noise cancelling and were also wireless. They're pricey, so I haven't gotten around to it yet (I also have a crappy Sansa player, so there was no rush).

I'm eventually going to get an Android tablet or smartphone* which would serve primary duty as an audio player. Given that, it seemed like a good idea to incorporate the ability to use the headphones for talking (and easily answer calls/stop/start music). I'd forgo the controls if there were hardware buttons for the same, but it seems like Android is trying to go button-less (boo hiss). And I'd like decent sound quality given that is the primary purpose. I'm assuming that could impact call quality as well

* The battery on my backup RAZR is nearly dead, so I'm going to have to this year.

Are Grado decent over all, or does it depend on the model? Thanks for the suggestions.

Never seen a bad grado product, the only complaints I have the looks or comfortably. Even a SR60i which are $60 still blow away most Sennheiseris at triple the cost.
If you have no intent on getting all the bells and whistles then don't waste your time, every wireless headphones are really expensive and suck in quality. Also Noise cancelling is more a marketing thing. The only noise canceling headphones I like are Sure, but they are only in the ear and not as great in quality.
Also if you want a cheap MP3/video player get a prepaid mobile andriod phone. I got one for $60 never activated it, and has more features then most MP3 players, put it in airplane more and you won't have a issue (for better battery life).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered, headphones for Apple would work for anything else. I have a fancy Sony, which I didn't buy specifically for Apple but just works fine. And this didn't anything on the package to indicate it was for Apple.

The pin-size is what usually matters.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ak47gen: Thanks. I may skip the external controls, at least initially. The prepaid phone is a good idea too. I just may do that.


@notageek: Headphones, yes. But see my original post regarding 'play.'
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today is your lucky day.

Sennheiser CX 475 3.5mm Connector In-Ear Noise Blocking Headphone

For $20 normally $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u0t0f0fp68282dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16826106573
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'll get those.

I was just looking at the Gardo. $90 -> $299 -> $399. Quite a first price jump there. I was planning to try them. Maybe another day :)
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Jan 2007
Posts: 210
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only newegg, but also amazon. You can get all of the CX models pretty cheap. You can bump up to the cx 500's for just a little bit more. I have those, and I loved them for walking (when I lived close enough to the office to walk). Not good for working out or running though, you really need to get their sport series for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think Grado made the best, but for $20 you can't go wrong with a pretty decent pair, lol.

But I assume the $400 ones sound great, but not as expensive as the PS1000, which without a preamp would be a waste.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
@notageek: Headphones, yes. But see my original post regarding 'play.'
I had something like this in mind.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtomek wrote:
Not only newegg, but also amazon. You can get all of the CX models pretty cheap. You can bump up to the cx 500's for just a little bit more. I have those, and I loved them for walking (when I lived close enough to the office to walk). Not good for working out or running though, you really need to get their sport series for that.
I generally check Amazon & Newegg. The prices I mentioned for Grado were Amazon. I hadn't addressed price mainly because I wasn't sure what the likely price range was. For $20, these will be a good starter pair if nothing else.


ak47gen wrote:
But I assume the $400 ones sound great, but not as expensive as the PS1000, which without a preamp would be a waste.
The $200 range is where I start to wonder if it is really worth it, and if so, would I prefer over-ear headphones at that point. I'm actually not a fan of in-ear headphones, but for mobile use, they seem better suited to the task.


@notageek: Initially I was looking for the in-ear variety with mic & phone integration (music stops when call comes, etc.).

But for now I'm just looking for something decent. I'm tired of not having my music collection available. I haven't listened to as much since I abandoned my desktop, and that was several years ago. And changing CDs while driving isn't ideal :D


Anyway, they've been ordered. Along with a NIC for getting VMware going, and more RAM.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought These in December through Best Buy for $140. Comfortable and nice sound.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:



ak47gen wrote:
But I assume the $400 ones sound great, but not as expensive as the PS1000, which without a preamp would be a waste.
The $200 range is where I start to wonder if it is really worth it, and if so, would I prefer over-ear headphones at that point. I'm actually not a fan of in-ear headphones, but for mobile use, they seem better suited to the task.[\quote]



An example if you compare the sr60 vs the sr325 going from $60 to $325 their is a huge difference in quality even plugged directly into a mp3 player you can still tell. If you compared a sr325 vs PS1000 $325 vs $1600 yet another huge difference, but you wouldn't tell on a standard mp3 player. You would need a good preamp.

Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier-Dock/dp/B004M172FY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1328265186&sr=8-10
plus
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR325is-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328265441&sr=1-1

Would sound like sex in the ear. Though I am not sure about the preamp would be good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the $1,600 range, I'd imagine clipped recordings would make it less worth the expense? I'll keep the $300 range in mind if I get more serious, though I do intend to go with FLAC or similar at some point (for non-mobile use).
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you even have to go up to $300. I don't know if you're one of those people who consider Sony evil and therefore avoid all its product, but in the slight chance you don't, go for one from Sony.

Even a decent one will be good.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denon 2000.If you can afford it, go for the Denon 7000. Either way, you will love it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danomac
l33t
l33t


Joined: 06 Nov 2004
Posts: 818
Location: Vancouver, BC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that pretty much any decent quality headphone will not get enough power from a phone or laptop.

I just went through this myself while setting up an exercise room. I had to get a small portable preamp (Fiio E6, I paid ~$28 new) in order to get better defined sound. The little amp in my android phone just wasn't enough to reproduce lower frequencies properly.

I have an older set of Sennheisers, HD477 - they're not terribly expensive at $80 a few years back but even with the volume up all the way on my android phone they were barely audible in a quiet room. Any ambient noise and you'd strain to hear it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
go for one from Sony.
I have had unacceptable results from Sony, so I'm rarely interested in overpaying for their stuff. Some day I might eventually buy a Sony product again, but there are plenty of alternatives.


wildhorse wrote:
Denon 2000.If you can afford it, go for the Denon 7000. Either way, you will love it.
I was thinking Denon became one of those "rebadging" brands. I know they were once known for quality. I'll have to see if I can find what I'm thinking of.


danomac wrote:
Keep in mind that pretty much any decent quality headphone will not get enough power from a phone or laptop.
Well, in this case, the idea is to have a pair which would work for answering calls. So "decent quality" must fall into that category. Separate from a pair of headphones for the sole purpose of listening to music.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I have had unacceptable results from Sony, so I'm rarely interested in overpaying for their stuff. Some day I might eventually buy a Sony product again, but there are plenty of alternatives.
Before even I wrote this, I suspected you'd reply something like this. :lol:
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted it before, more than once.

I also think they're "evil" :twisted:
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum