libata/udev nightmare [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: libata/udev nightmare [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Ok, so everything I do breaks two things, and this time I can't get my freaking machine bootable.

Quite frankly, my kernel (3.3.4) is set up perfectly for libata. I've configured, reconfigured, read posts, configured some more, and got my kernel absolutely perfect in every way (I got it down to 7MB from 8MB and now it starts up so fast I can't read more than one line before it boots). I have all the right stuff set in device support->SCSI drives and ->ata/sata set for my machine.

Now, I don't get kernel panics (which I did the first time trying to convert to libata) and it loads more or less, and when booted it even shows sda/sda1-4 correctly in /dev. However, fsck fails every time, I get stuck in read-only mode, and then all of the usual openrc services don't load.

Additionally, and I don't think this is related, but when I emerge any variant of udev-182 it removes my old udevd without actually installing a new one in /sbin, and if I copy udevd manually it fails to load. I downgraded to 171 for now, which I double checked does install udevd in /sbin. Even with 171 fsck fails and I still have a basically useless machine :|.

Also: what loads first, openrc or udev? I'm currently using openrc-9.9.3, although I have no idea which 9.9.x version is stable and I've got too much stuff broken right now to make a meaningful test of it.

EDIT: Also, to add, I did correctly reset my fstab to read sd* for every relevant line, and I changed the "root" line in yaboot to sda4 as well. The only line I didn't change was yaboot's 'boot' line, which ybin refuses to accept until the system actually reads /dev/sda.

EDIT: ok, it's probably the hardmasked version of e2fsprogs I'm using, and the udev thing is most likely separate. Once cinnamon finishes installing I'll swap it over and check.

Last edited by Incomplet on Sun May 06, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
druggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls check your kernel config with these :
Code:
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that set properly. Luckily, after fighting with it for a day or two I got it figured out though.

OpenRC works fine.

udev does not. I had to downgrade to udev161 in order to get udev to work at all.

fsck still failed at start, and I had to manually fsck my disk in order to get it to work properly.

After that everything is (mostly) peachy :P.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: