AMD Bulldozer CPU (8-Core); can't build icu, glibc, gcc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: AMD Bulldozer CPU (8-Core); can't build icu, glibc, gcc Reply with quote

I get either segfaults or illegal instruction during building. For GCC 4.6, can't even get the past configuration because linking with mpfr fails (and no I cannot build mpfr either).

I was just able to compile big things like Chromium, LibreOffice, parts of KDE with:
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=amdfam10 -mtune=amdfam10 -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx"

But I decided I wanted to have my system fully on a specific GCC version, namely 4.6 because that actually has support for Bulldozer (-march=bdver1).

Is my only hope to reinstall everything? :(
your_WooDness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej,

you should update to the latest GCC compiler to include BMI and TBM ( -mbmi / -mtbm ). At the office we played a bit with the -mbmi GCC option with a GCC 4.6.2 and had a real performance boost with benchmarks and this flag. Not sure if the -mtbm also boosts performance, need more time for playing...

WooD
Tatsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your_WooDness wrote:
Hej,

you should update to the latest GCC compiler to include BMI and TBM ( -mbmi / -mtbm ). At the office we played a bit with the -mbmi GCC option with a GCC 4.6.2 and had a real performance boost with benchmarks and this flag. Not sure if the -mtbm also boosts performance, need more time for playing...

WooD

That really doesn't work. I tried htop and curl and both compile but start and quit with 'Illegal instruction.'

These are my CFLAGS (on GCC 4.6.2):
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=bdver1 -mtune=bdver1 -mcx16 -msahf -mpclmul -mabm -mlwp -mavx"

I ended up reinstalling everything (but actually I may have only had to turn the memory speed back to 1333; this what was causing major problems during compilation). I guess the AMD Phenom II X4 and the Bulldozer are just too different to 'just work' (although 99% of things work; it's the 1% that's the problem).
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar things come up in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909152-highlight-.html .
This might (or might not) be of interest to you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: