esound replacement?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: esound replacement? Reply with quote

Today's update gave me this:
Code:

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- media-sound/esound-0.2.41::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> (04 Jan 2012)
# Outdated and unused sound daemon. Why is this still in the tree?
# Removal of esd and deps in 30 days.
# In exceptional cases, you may use Pulseaudio's esound wrapper.

So, I have this installed, it's started in the default runlevel, and it's running
Code:

# ps -ef |grep esd
root      4367     1  0 19:43 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/esound-esd -nobeeps -as 2 -tcp -public
root      5928  5255  0 19:55 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --colour=auto esd

So, what do I replace this with? Will I lose sound if I remove it?

PA is not a vaild answer, I will not install this defunct crap again.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use straight ALSA if your hardware's not junk. PA is mostly a workaround for that. ;)
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: esound replacement? Reply with quote

Princess Nell wrote:
So, what do I replace this with? Will I lose sound if I remove it?

The question is in fact why or what were you using esound for ?
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I thought it was required for the Gnome desktop, but I'm reading that it hasn't been required in years (http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/esound-free.html). I distinctly remember some manual esd magic being required to get sound under FreeBSD/Gnome a few years back ...

Now I disabled it, restarted xdm, and I still seem to have sound.
bigdweeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it installed so that I could get alert sounds in Thunderbird. I just removed it due to that message and have no sound in Thunderbird again :unamused:
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have USE="esd" set? You might have other stuff built expecting to find esd, so now that you've shut it off that software may have lost its sound interface. You might want to set USE="-esd" and see what needs rebuilt.

Expanding on what someone else said, your particular hardware may not be able to do the job with straight out-of-the-box ALSA. You might need something like dmix or pulseaudio to get everything working again.
bigdweeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added pulseaudio to my make.conf use line and rebuilt world to pull it in. I still have no sound in Thunderbird.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have libcanberra installed? Apparently that is supposed to replace esound for playing Thunderbird e-mail arrival notifications: Bugzilla@Mozilla – Bug 378155 Unable to play .WAV-file alert error in nsISound.play (due to no EsounD) and Bugzilla@Mozilla – Bug 635918 Does not play user defined sound for incoming mail.

I'm at least able to hear the default 'pop' sound from Thunderbird 9.0 when e-mail arrives, but selecting 'Use the following sound file' no longer plays my .wav sound file now that I've unmerged the masked media-sound/esound.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
gemini91
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost output from Thunderbird yesterday. Removed the esound mask and reinstalled
esound and it came back. I have a partition with Gnome3 installed and it has
pulse audio installed. It has a couple of problems with sound, including Thunderbird.
I emerged esound, did nothing else and sound works in thunderbird. Pulse Audio
is not the answer currently. Maybe someday.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Do you have libcanberra installed? Apparently that is supposed to replace esound for playing Thunderbird e-mail arrival notifications: Bugzilla@Mozilla – Bug 378155 Unable to play .WAV-file alert error in nsISound.play (due to no EsounD) and Bugzilla@Mozilla – Bug 635918 Does not play user defined sound for incoming mail.

I'm at least able to hear the default 'pop' sound from Thunderbird 9.0 when e-mail arrives, but selecting 'Use the following sound file' no longer plays my .wav sound file now that I've unmerged the masked media-sound/esound.

I installed Thunderbird 10.0.1 today and even the 'Use the following sound file' is now working, so the use of esound has been removed completely from Thunderbird. Both the default sound and the user-selected sound now use libcanberra instead of esound. :)

Fitzcarraldo's blog
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the thunderbird ebuild then contain some sort of USE flag to drive installation of libcanberra?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have installed, so I suppose it must be the libnotify and/or alsa USE flag that does it:

Code:
$ eix -I thunderbird
[I] mail-client/thunderbird
     Available versions:  3.1.12 (~)3.1.13 (~)3.1.14 7.0.1-r1 8.0-r1 9.0 (~)10.0 (~)10.0.1 {+alsa bindist +crashreporter +crypt custom-cflags custom-optimization +dbus debug gconf gnome +ipc ldap libnotify +lightning linguas_af linguas_ar linguas_ast linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn linguas_bn_BD linguas_br linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en linguas_en_GB linguas_en_US linguas_es linguas_es_AR linguas_es_ES linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_fy linguas_fy_NL linguas_ga linguas_ga_IE linguas_gd linguas_gl linguas_he linguas_hu linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_lt linguas_nb linguas_nb_NO linguas_nl linguas_nn linguas_nn_NO linguas_pa linguas_pa_IN linguas_pl linguas_pt linguas_pt_BR linguas_pt_PT linguas_rm linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sv linguas_sv_SE linguas_ta linguas_ta_LK linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_vi linguas_zh linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW +minimal mozdom startup-notification system-sqlite +webm wifi}
     Installed versions:  10.0.1(15:29:38 15/02/12)(alsa crashreporter crypt dbus ipc libnotify lightning linguas_en_GB linguas_pt_BR minimal startup-notification webm wifi -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gconf -linguas_ar -linguas_ast -linguas_be -linguas_bg -linguas_bn_BD -linguas_br -linguas_ca -linguas_cs -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_el -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_ES -linguas_et -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gd -linguas_gl -linguas_he -linguas_hu -linguas_id -linguas_is -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ko -linguas_lt -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nl -linguas_nn_NO -linguas_pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_rm -linguas_ro -linguas_ru -linguas_si -linguas_sk -linguas_sl -linguas_sq -linguas_sr -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_ta_LK -linguas_tr -linguas_uk -linguas_vi -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW -mozdom -system-sqlite)

Mozilla Bugzilla Bug Report No. 635918 has the code fixes that implement libcanberra instead of esound.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: