Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Year Resolutions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

I resolve to be less of a prick.

I do this as an example to others, such as ichbinsysiphos, who has never been right about anything (search the forums).
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

Make more money. A lot more.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Make more money. A lot more.
Mine too. Yes, this is my original idea. Just because dmitchell posted it first, doesn't make it his "original idea."

Oh, and save up some money too.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I've ever had a New Year based resolution.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

New Year's Resolution: :pjp:
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drizek
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Location: Believe in America

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Make more money. A lot more.


Let me guess: babies are expensive?
_________________
Stand With Mittens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
:lol:

New Year's Resolution: :pjp:

:lol:
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
Make more money. A lot more.


Let me guess: babies are expensive?

Money cannot make you happy. However, it can get you laid. Or, if you're married, it can get the wife off your back.
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 2514
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3600x1200, hell yeah
_________________
runit-init howto | Overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To drink more... and to learn more fugues.
_________________
I, for one, am glad to be living on a planet with 776x the mass of the super-massive black hole at the center of the milky way.
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Make more money. A lot more.


Yeah this one seems worthy enough :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 231
Location: Don't Tread On Me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Year's resolutions are doomed to fail. It is just plain insanity to make resolutions every year and expect them to succeed. Therefore I have made zero resolutions for this New Year.
_________________
The BIGGER the GOVERNMENT, the smaller the citizen.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrens wrote:
New Year's resolutions are doomed to fail. It is just plain insanity to make resolutions every year and expect them to succeed. Therefore I have made zero resolutions for this New Year.


Mine will succeed.

The trick is, aim low :P
_________________
I, for one, am glad to be living on a planet with 776x the mass of the super-massive black hole at the center of the milky way.
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 231
Location: Don't Tread On Me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
warrens wrote:
New Year's resolutions are doomed to fail. It is just plain insanity to make resolutions every year and expect them to succeed. Therefore I have made zero resolutions for this New Year.


Mine will succeed.

The trick is, aim point blank. :P


Fixed. :P
_________________
The BIGGER the GOVERNMENT, the smaller the citizen.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 139
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason most fail is because the "New Year" begins in the middle of Winter, which is the most depressing time of the year. Especially considering that most of the resolutions are usually things like quitting smoking/drugs/drinking and losing weight. Losing weight is difficult in the winter because it's too cold to be outside most of the time.
_________________
Joe Mulloy | http://twitter.com/jdmulloy | Ron Paul in 2012! | 5-1-07 | Unban Playfool | Fire your "Too big to fail" bank http://moveyourmoney.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
The reason most fail is because the "New Year" begins in the middle of Winter, which is the most depressing time of the year. Especially considering that most of the resolutions are usually things like quitting smoking/drugs/drinking and losing weight. Losing weight is difficult in the winter because it's too cold to be outside most of the time.

The New Year used to always begin with Spring, specifically occurring at the Vernal Equinox (and this was true across a wide number of calendars developed independently by various cultures), up until Pope Gregory fucked it all up in 1582.

It's also the year 12012 HE (Human Era or Holocene Epoch), which is roughly the number of years since the beginning of the current warm, interglacial, period within the current ice age, and the approximate time of the neolithic revolution (the time when Man first started growing crops, domesticating animals, and stopped wandering around, scratching random roots out of the dirt, and chasing herds of animals like a bunch of angry, jibbering monkeys). It's scary, how recent that was, really. The Holocene Epoch, and probably human civilization, will end when the current interglacial warm period is over.

By the way, this new year in UNIX time is:
1325376000–1356998399
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 139
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
jdmulloy wrote:
The reason most fail is because the "New Year" begins in the middle of Winter, which is the most depressing time of the year. Especially considering that most of the resolutions are usually things like quitting smoking/drugs/drinking and losing weight. Losing weight is difficult in the winter because it's too cold to be outside most of the time.

The New Year used to always begin with Spring, specifically occurring at the Vernal Equinox (and this was true across a wide number of calendars developed independently by various cultures), up until Pope Gregory fucked it all up in 1582.

It's also the year 12012 HE (Human Era or Holocene Epoch), which is roughly the number of years since the beginning of the current warm, interglacial, period within the current ice age, and the approximate time of the neolithic revolution (the time when Man first started growing crops, domesticating animals, and stopped wandering around, scratching random roots out of the dirt, and chasing herds of animals like a bunch of angry, jibbering monkeys). It's scary, how recent that was, really. The Holocene Epoch, and probably human civilization, will end when the current interglacial warm period is over.

By the way, this new year in UNIX time is:
1325376000–1356998399
We'll probably nuke ourselves out of existence before that happens.

I hope 2012 is either not shitty or the end.
_________________
Joe Mulloy | http://twitter.com/jdmulloy | Ron Paul in 2012! | 5-1-07 | Unban Playfool | Fire your "Too big to fail" bank http://moveyourmoney.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
and chasing herds of animals like a bunch of angry, jibbering monkeys


Sounds like a new years eve in Stockholm, except everybody is drunk and nobody knows what are they chasing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
and chasing herds of animals like a bunch of angry, jibbering monkeys


Sounds like a new years eve in Stockholm, except everybody is drunk and nobody knows what are they chasing.

Not like the people in your home town, getting wasted down at the Blago, or puking off that bridge, right?
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
The reason most fail is because the "New Year" begins in the middle of Winter, which is the most depressing time of the year. Especially considering that most of the resolutions are usually things like quitting smoking/drugs/drinking and losing weight. Losing weight is difficult in the winter because it's too cold to be outside most of the time.


It's the middle of summer here, buddy.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 139
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
jdmulloy wrote:
The reason most fail is because the "New Year" begins in the middle of Winter, which is the most depressing time of the year. Especially considering that most of the resolutions are usually things like quitting smoking/drugs/drinking and losing weight. Losing weight is difficult in the winter because it's too cold to be outside most of the time.


It's the middle of summer here, buddy.
Is the success rate higher? It would certainly be interesting if it was.
_________________
Joe Mulloy | http://twitter.com/jdmulloy | Ron Paul in 2012! | 5-1-07 | Unban Playfool | Fire your "Too big to fail" bank http://moveyourmoney.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
and chasing herds of animals like a bunch of angry, jibbering monkeys


Sounds like a new years eve in Stockholm, except everybody is drunk and nobody knows what are they chasing.

Not like the people in your home town, getting wasted down at the Blago, or puking off that bridge, right?


Pretty much. Well they actually go down under the bridge, drink and puke there, but yeah.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I resolve to be less of a prick.

i resolve to increase my general assholishness, but alter it to incredible sarcasm and mockery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 547

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quality post by forum comrade BoneKracker. I suggest you read it all (but undo the typo ichbinsisyphos -> ichbinsysiphos in your head while doing so)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potaeto -- Potaato.

Same thing.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum