Signal strength for an ath5k access point
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowbert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Signal strength for an ath5k access point Reply with quote

Background:

I have an ath5k card in my home media server that I want to use as an access point. I had everything working with Madwifi, but that seemed to break with newer kernels, so I switched to ath5k. I found that for an unencrytped access point, Madwifi would let me configure everything with iwconfig, and then I could just run dhcpd on the device. With the ath5k drivers, I need to use hostapd to manage the device, which isn't a very big deal. I also noted that the gentoo network scripts don't use iw, so I have to explicitly tell them to use neither iwconfig nor wpa_supplicant.

My problem:

The network strength is horrible. I'm not sure how to configure it to increase the power so that devices on the other side of the room (let alone the other side of the house) can use it reliably. With Madwifi, the signal wasn't great, but was much better and more consistent than I see with ath5k.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: