Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[cach0rr0] the dread british winter is upon me...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I must admit, gutting a building and re-doing it is the only way to go. But you chose to live where you're living, so I don't want to hear the sniveling.

You just need to get yourself a bunch of Snuggies. Be the first chav on your block to get the leopard-skin one.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets be brutally honest here, its London in December, it aint fucking cold indoors or out.
go into a london pub and find a scot and start crying how british houses are cold in december and do you know what he will do?

he will call you a pussy. A pussy for thinking London is cold in December and a bigger pussy for not doing anything about it.
you think NA has some kind of monopoly on cold? go live in scotland for a year, go live on the coast of the north sea, london has made you a pussy.

now sure some people can tolerate "cold" more than others, thats just them BUT todo nothing about it but QQ on a linux forum really does warrant an entry with your picture in the graphical dictionary under pussy.

if you bought a house without double-glazing with no plans todo something about it, ur a pussy.
if you bought a house that doesnt have double-glazed doors and there is a draft and you had no plans todo something about it, ur a pussy
if you bought a house that doesnt have adequate roof insulation and have no plans todo anything about it, ur a pussy

when i bought this house (double glazed windows, double roof insulation - drafty front/back doors) we didnt know how draft the std doors would be.
come jan at 2am in the front room you could def feel it, the front/back door nice and drafty were really chilling the house out.
what i do? wickes and bought some bottom rail draft stuff, some draft sponge, a letterbox draft thing and bam miles better. come april in come double glazing lot and new front and back doors. now zero drafts.
i did not post on otw, i went and did something about it

my bet is you have a draft somewhere, that will be felt alot more than heat escaping via roof walls, always is. so find the drafty spot and do something about it you pussy.
or go and live in scotland for a year - they weather their houses
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
lets be brutally honest here, its London in December, it aint fucking cold indoors or out.
go into a london pub and find a scot and start crying how british houses are cold in december and do you know what he will do?

he will call you a pussy. A pussy for thinking London is cold in December and a bigger pussy for not doing anything about it.
you think NA has some kind of monopoly on cold? go live in scotland for a year, go live on the coast of the north sea, london has made you a pussy.

now sure some people can tolerate "cold" more than others, thats just them BUT todo nothing about it but QQ on a linux forum really does warrant an entry with your picture in the graphical dictionary under pussy.

if you bought a house without double-glazing with no plans todo something about it, ur a pussy.
if you bought a house that doesnt have double-glazed doors and there is a draft and you had no plans todo something about it, ur a pussy
if you bought a house that doesnt have adequate roof insulation and have no plans todo anything about it, ur a pussy

when i bought this house (double glazed windows, double roof insulation - drafty front/back doors) we didnt know how draft the std doors would be.
come jan at 2am in the front room you could def feel it, the front/back door nice and drafty were really chilling the house out.
what i do? wickes and bought some bottom rail draft stuff, some draft sponge, a letterbox draft thing and bam miles better. come april in come double glazing lot and new front and back doors. now zero drafts.

my bet is you have a draft somewhere, that will be felt alot more than heat escaping via roof walls, always is. so find the drafty spot and do something about it you pussy.
My name is Tyler and I approve.
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
some inane gibberish about vaginas and men in skirts

I love how irate you get over someone insulting British insulation. Your jingoism has now gone into...insulation.

Really I do think it's fairly cute how you think Scotland is the coldest place on earth, but you should try leaving Europe on occasion. Or at least venture a bit East, It's nice and all that you think this is some kind of dick-waving competition about cold tolerance, but the same hyperbole-filled rants that...*gasp*...a handful of foreigners are going on about right now are the same rants you hear from your own fucking British people. You think Scotland is cold, as though this is some kind of measuring stick? Take a trip to Russia in the Winter, or the Carpathians, or spend a week in Alaska in a log cabin, or bunk in a corrugated steel house in the Peruvian highlands mid-winter (a helicopter trip in the snow to get there makes it all the more interesting). We've all dealt with coldass temperatures, been out in the middle of it without heaps but a fire and sleeping bag - that doesnt mean you want to deal with the shit inside your fucking house.

"blah blah blah youre a pussy" - you know that whole thing about glass houses comes to mind. I've a bit more maturity than to post my CV on a public forum, but I do find this a touch comedic. You're only throwing a tantrum about this because a couple of non-British people are the ones whinging about the cold and sketchy ass stone-age houses you guys live in. If you were off at the pub (assuming you leave the house on occasion), you'd be hearing a dozen people saying the same damn thing, and it would be normal, laughs all around. So by all means take this personally and throw a gigantic tantrum that someone dared insult the fine quality of your insulation.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
go into a london pub and find a scot

Do you get them that far south ?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
Naib wrote:
some inane gibberish about vaginas and men in skirts

I love how irate you get over someone insulting British insulation. Your jingoism has now gone into...insulation.

Really I do think it's fairly cute how you think Scotland is the coldest place on earth, but you should try leaving Europe on occasion. Or at least venture a bit East, It's nice and all that you think this is some kind of dick-waving competition about cold tolerance, but the same hyperbole-filled rants that...*gasp*...a handful of foreigners are going on about right now are the same rants you hear from your own fucking British people. You think Scotland is cold, as though this is some kind of measuring stick? Take a trip to Russia in the Winter, or the Carpathians, or spend a week in Alaska in a log cabin, or bunk in a corrugated steel house in the Peruvian highlands mid-winter (a helicopter trip in the snow to get there makes it all the more interesting). We've all dealt with coldass temperatures, been out in the middle of it without heaps but a fire and sleeping bag - that doesnt mean you want to deal with the shit inside your fucking house.

"blah blah blah youre a pussy" - you know that whole thing about glass houses comes to mind. I've a bit more maturity than to post my CV on a public forum, but I do find this a touch comedic. You're only throwing a tantrum about this because a couple of non-British people are the ones whinging about the cold and sketchy ass stone-age houses you guys live in. If you were off at the pub (assuming you leave the house on occasion), you'd be hearing a dozen people saying the same damn thing, and it would be normal, laughs all around. So by all means take this personally and throw a gigantic tantrum that someone dared insult the fine quality of your insulation.

its not about british or not (fyi my roots are all over the place :D), its about someone bitchen and not doing anything about it which irks me. Bitch while doing something, fine, bitch for bitchin sake... guess what ur a pussy

I never said Scotland is the coldest place, This pussy thinks london is the coldest place, im just pointing out it isn't
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
bitch for bitchin sake

uh, you do remember where you live, yes? Complaining is a national pastime in Britain, you know that.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
Naib wrote:
bitch for bitchin sake

uh, you do remember where you live, yes? Complaining is a national pastime in Britain, you know that.

that may be the case, but I am not the one claiming london is cold
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

well no, you have the 11 million people with a penchant for complaining who live there to do it for you, be beating a dead horse.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
Naib wrote:

well no, you have the 11 million people with a penchant for complaining who live there to do it for you, be beating a dead horse.

so basically what you are saying is juniper has lived in london long enough to become a pussy w.r.t. the weather and to complain?
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

so basically what you are saying is juniper has lived in london long enough to become a pussy w.r.t. the weather and to complain?

He's in Bath IIRC (I was in Surrey, then Berkshire), and really you live there through a winter or two, you earn the right to complain IMHO.
Especially if you get a particularly shitty summer, I got two in a row - cold aint so bad if the summer actually breaks up the monotony, but if summer is a major disappointment it's just flat depressing.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

you are right, it isn't that cold, and I said that. It is, however, quite cold for the ass backwards state of housing.

Quote:

you say pussy, i say come from a place with reasonable walls/insulation.

Quote:

double glazing is a double edged sword.
1) it is expensive and it is very difficult to justify from a heating standpoint (it is really expensive, you are better just turning up the heat).
2) it traps moisture

Quote:

being done soon.

Quote:

getting quotes now.

Quote:

I am not sure what makes OTW your sacred non-complaining sanctuary, but ranting about british cold with a comrade is frankly fun.

Quote:

as I said, I just moved in a few weeks ago, I am on it. What I am complaining about it is that British people were happy living in this wind tunnel.

By the way, I have lived in cities that can hit -30C in the winter and routinely hit -20C for a week or so. As I pointed out, it isn't the exterior cold that is issue (trust me, Scotland has nothing on Montreal. NOTHING. you will get a week in February that is -20C there),
it's the backwards ass insulation here. But, the weird thing is, in my old flat, I would go outside in the winter to heat up. No, it wasn't warmer outside (say 0C), but 0C outside is easy to take with a coat and moving around. its the 14C inside that's a drag.

As I have pointed out, I AM doing something about my own home, but I can do very little about my workplace (no, I am not going to quit my job over this), cafes, restaurants and local businesses. Yes, I can factor heating in when I go out to eat (do I want a nice tasty meal in that drafty restaurant, or do I want a less tasty meal in that warm restaurant?) but that is fucking pathetic.

Naib wrote:

I never said Scotland is the coldest place, This pussy thinks london is the coldest place, im just pointing out it isn't

London, or south of england, is the warmest place (in the winter) i have ever lived (before coming to england I lived in eastern canada and the US). As I have said a million times, it isn't that cold here OUTSIDE that's the problem. you clearly don't get it. it isn't the outside temperature that's a problem, it is 12C - 16C inside that's the problem.

cach0rr0 wrote:

He's in Bath IIRC

I have moved to London.

cach0rr0 wrote:

Clearly, I have hit a nerve :lol: I think a solution to this problem is for Naib to visit boston, montreal or new york in the winter and see that INSIDE it is always 20C. the inside temperature isn't OUTSIDE TEMP + 10.

it isn't just north americans. Talk to a german or swede about british insulation and draughty homes.

I imagine, part of the explanation is what Naib mentioned, although I really think it is slightly too cold for that explanation. Britain really is on the cusp of coldness. it isn't like much of NA, where if you fucked around with insulation like they do here people would literally die. That being said, a few years ago people really did literally die (old folks dying of cold). But in general, you can get away with it. and as I have been told, britain is a "putting up with" culture. Stiff upper lip etc.

cach0rr0 wrote:

Especially if you get a particularly shitty summer, I got two in a row - cold aint so bad if the summer actually breaks up the monotony, but if summer is a major disappointment it's just flat depressing.

we have had it with august in england. we were in the south west for four "summers" and august is reliably shitty. we did get nice springs and falls though, but you really miss that feeling of being to hot. but basically, this year it will be spain for us in august (fucking olympics too). I am surprised they sell shorts in this country. I own some shorts, but they are like my skiing equipment... they only come out when I leave england. London, apparently, is quite a bit warmer though.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi I goto hartford a fair amount, last time was in july, the time before in jan, time befor that july... I am more than likely to be boxed up again for a fortnight in jan/feb

so boston/hartford... not alot different. Sure nice extremes in temp (fucking can't stand the summer there) and sure the hotel was nice - werk canteen was drafty in winter tbh, but again I am just pointing out things can be done to sort a house out. Some ppl don't cause they are lazy fuckers but alot do
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are just pussies, and nothing is going to change that. Other people just have to put up with it, or tell them to put a cork in it. :P
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there much new home construction in the UK? Are there not building codes? Here the building codes for new construction and renovations require certain minimums for insulation. Home construction has striven for an almost air tight construction, with all incoming air filtered and preheated. All propane/natural gas mechanicals and appliances have to have their own dedicated air supply, which is achieved by using a twin walled pipe, where the inner pipe handles the exhaust and the outer pipe supplies the air. Add a passive solar for heating water and you have a pretty comfy home. Plus, I prefer wood heat, which helps keep the air dry in a Pacific Northwest winter. As I type, it is 1608 local time, 36 degrees F, and 66% humidity on a sunny afternoon, and it is nice and cozy warm inside. :wink:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Is there much new home construction in the UK? Are there not building codes? Here the building codes for new construction and renovations require certain minimums for insulation. Home construction has striven for an almost air tight construction, with all incoming air filtered and preheated. All propane/natural gas mechanicals and appliances have to have their own dedicated air supply, which is achieved by using a twin walled pipe, where the inner pipe handles the exhaust and the outer pipe supplies the air. Add a passive solar for heating water and you have a pretty comfy home. Plus, I prefer wood heat, which helps keep the air dry in a Pacific Northwest winter. As I type, it is 1608 local time, 36 degrees F, and 66% humidity on a sunny afternoon, and it is nice and cozy warm inside. :wink:

This is another area where well-intended government intervention often dicks things completely up with unintended consequences. Rent control laws (laws restricting rental rates or their increase) are often tied to occupancy and/or rennovation. Where they have been poorly implemented, these and similar laws designed to protect renters actually end up screwing them by providing incentives for landlords not to modernize their property lest they fall under different regulations which bite into their profit. Boston is one such area (or at least used to be) in the U.S. Socialism Fail.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this heat is unnatural, I'm sitting typing this in my underwear it's too damn warm.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dripping pussies now
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Ok this heat is unnatural, I'm sitting typing this in my underwear it's too damn warm.

shut up before it goes away.

y'all think I am kidding that this ice box called england is fucked, but here you go.

evening standard wrote:

London looks set to bask in a mini heat wave as the mercury could reach up to 30c next week.

The capital could cook as temperatures look set to soar to as high as 30c on Wednesday beating records for 96 years.

Weather channel forecaster Leon Brown said: “The changeable and cool weather pattern from the west for Thursday to Saturday this week looks like it will change to a humid and brief much warmer spell early next week from the south.

“We could see temperatures next Wednesday in the high 20s across much of central and southern England, with the hot spot in the London area 29 to 30C making it by far the hottest day of the year so far.”

high 20s a heatwave? Bring that shit on. Finally!

I have maintained that "drought" and "heat wave" are actually colonial words.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"heatwave" ... its fucking summer, its suppose to be hot.
Sometimes/always the press are stupid.

Now considering I am getting dragged out to Banglalore in a month where its expected to be an average, non-heatwave AND fucking humid 30C ... this 24C "heatwave" can suck my dick
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's considered a cool summer here if it doesn't get up to 38c for a few weeks. Don't know why this central IL region gets so cold and dry in the winter and so hot and humid in the summer. It is really nice for a couple months out of the year though, especially late September to early November.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
It's considered a cool summer here if it doesn't get up to 38c for a few weeks. Don't know why this central IL region gets so cold and dry in the winter and so hot and humid in the summer. It is really nice for a couple months out of the year though, especially late September to early November.

humidity i don't like.

but i do like hot summers and cold winters. bland bullshit drizzle is the worst.
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
tylerwylie wrote:

humidity i don't like.

but i do like hot summers and cold winters. bland bullshit drizzle is the worst.
Just to show some of the extremes.

July 2012 data

January 2011
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's George Bush's fault.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote