Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[cach0rr0] the dread british winter is upon me...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned this trick in Montreal:

When depressed because it is winter and -35C outside, you strip down to your underwear, go outside and stand there for 1 minute, then go back inside. Once back, everything is fucking beautiful!

8)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
I learned this trick in Montreal:

When depressed because it is winter and -35C outside, you strip down to your underwear, go outside and stand there for 1 minute, then go back inside. Once back, everything is fucking beautiful!

8)



There are places I wouldn't want frostbite.
_________________
It's later than you think
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe you simply haven't learned to dress properly. Get some turtlenecks and polypropylene underwear and socks. Once you have done what makes sense, stop being a pussy about it, because it only makes you suffer worse.

Also, you're probably embarassing your fellow Canadians. I guess you must be in "indoor" person. :P


Go talk to cach0rr0. you obviously haven't been in the UK in the winter. Just to be clear, going outside is fine. the trouble is that I am not used to indoor temperatures being sub 15. my guess is that you probably aren't either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zixnub
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 66
Location: Brasschaat, Belgium

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play skyrim I turn of the indoor heating for extra realism.
_________________
https://github.com/Zubnix/trinityshell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
It's the middle of December and it's 30+ deg-C outside. I'd like some cool weather.
Winter here is great, c'mon over and we can watch some South Park, read some libertarian books, and you can try to explain how cricket works to me. Should take a week or so. Gets past -20C in January, windchill can take it down to -35C.


as I said, I don't mind cold weather at all, OUTSIDE. snow, skating, skiing, i love all that stuff. i just don't like bringing it home with me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4141
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
tylerwylie wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
It's the middle of December and it's 30+ deg-C outside. I'd like some cool weather.
Winter here is great, c'mon over and we can watch some South Park, read some libertarian books, and you can try to explain how cricket works to me. Should take a week or so. Gets past -20C in January, windchill can take it down to -35C.


as I said, I don't mind cold weather at all, OUTSIDE. snow, skating, skiing, i love all that stuff. i just don't like bringing it home with me.


QQ at your landlord for better insulation then.
I have lived in a wide range of houses and some of the worst was when I was a student (and one of the best was when I was a student as well - helps when the parents buys their son a house and he sublets :D)

you get bad shit and good shit everywhere, it isn't limited to this country.
So you can either QQ about your chilly willy on OTW OR you can QQ to your landlord and get him todo something OR do a little yourself (number of times as a student I was putting up door and window edge insulation just to remove drafts is amazing)
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

QQ at your landlord for better insulation then.
I have lived in a wide range of houses and some of the worst was when I was a student (and one of the best was when I was a student as well - helps when the parents buys their son a house and he sublets :D)

you get bad shit and good shit everywhere, it isn't limited to this country.
So you can either QQ about your chilly willy on OTW OR you can QQ to your landlord and get him todo something OR do a little yourself (number of times as a student I was putting up door and window edge insulation just to remove drafts is amazing)


I am now my own landlord so I will get on that. I will be insulating my home.

Until I moved to england, I only had to draught proof one of my homes outside of england (since leaving my parent's house i have lived in 11 dwellings. damn that's a lot). But it isn't just homes. workplace, businesses, etc are all cold here. Part of the issue is that in NA you just heat the fuck out of homes and throw away a ton of heat, which is wasteful. but the flip side is that here you have the opposite.

It sounds like that you have also not lived in both the UK and NA. from my experience, it is just far colder indoors here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
of the worst was when I was a student


That's supposed to happen.
_________________
It's later than you think
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cach0rr0
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 4122
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe you simply haven't learned to dress properly. Get some turtlenecks and polypropylene underwear and socks. Once you have done what makes sense, stop being a pussy about it, because it only makes you suffer worse.


yeah, that must be it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe you simply haven't learned to dress properly. Get some turtlenecks and polypropylene underwear and socks. Once you have done what makes sense, stop being a pussy about it, because it only makes you suffer worse.


yeah, that must be it


it's clear that with you I am talking into an echo chamber and the brits don't know what we are talking about.


Last edited by juniper on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4141
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again talk to your landlord about sorting out the issues in your house
oh wait you own it, get off your fat frozen ass and get to wickes and get some fucking insulation, do you really need to post on a fucking forum to figure that one out.
and your excuse of "colder indoors" w.r.t. NA is just a readherring. It cannot get any colder than outdoor, to make it warmer or feel warmer you have to actually do something

#1 more cloths
#2 more insulation
#3 more heating
#4 combination of above

doing none of that isn't magically going to give you a warmer indoors, uk doesn't have some special magic indoors that automatically makes it coder THAT is downto the landlord/house owner, which seems to land squarely at your frozen, cheap ass.

protip
nexttime you want something in your house fixed you should goto: http://www.wickes.co.uk NOT http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-10.html
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.


Last edited by Naib on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YawningAngel
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a free-spirited lot, you yanks don't do much to help yourselves. If you're cold, put some clothes on. I appreciate that you're probably a liberal arts major, but even still it's hardly rocket science, more like simple cause and effect. I guess it's about what I'd expect from a country where Rick Perry could hold elected office.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting on more layers of clothes solves personal temperature deficit, but that doesn't stop damp and mould.

But as Naib said, more insulation and more heating is the order of the day. But as juniper points out heating and insulation is frequently deficient in British housing in general. Old houses especially are fundamentally difficult/impossible to insulate.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.


Last edited by aidanjt on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YawningAngel wrote:
For a free-spirited lot, you yanks don't do much to help yourselves. If you're cold, put some clothes on. I appreciate that you're probably a liberal arts major, but even still it's hardly rocket science, more like simple cause and effect. I guess it's about what I'd expect from a country where Rick Perry could hold elected office.


did you see the picture posted in cach0rr0 post? looks like he put a few layers on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cach0rr0
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 4122
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

did you also have problems with damp smell and your clothes washer?


main problem i had was the washing machines were garbage
the clothes would come out sanitary, they would come out without spots, but i dont know quite how to put it...they didnt come out "clean" if that makes sense. I expect a light airy neutral nothingness to my clothes when theyre clean, not a scent as though theyve been hand-wrung in an old metal wash tub

the second spot i lived didnt have a dryer either, so after a wash it meant going and hanging your clothes up by the nearest radiator
and when you have to do laundry, shit, youd better plan in advance, because if there's a specific garment you need in a hurry, not going to happen. Here? An entire load is done in 50 minutes. Of course, it's also less of an issue here because i have a damn walk-in closet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Putting on more layers of clothes solves personal temperature deficit, but that doesn't stop damp and mould.

But as Naib said, more insulation and more heating is the order of the day. But as juniper points out heating and insulation is frequently deficient in British housing in general. Old houses especially are fundamentally difficult/impossible to insulate.

Anything can be insulated. If all else fails, build another wall inside the old ones and have foam blown in. That will stop anything. :lol:
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Putting on more layers of clothes solves personal temperature deficit, but that doesn't stop damp and mould.

But as Naib said, more insulation and more heating is the order of the day. But as juniper points out heating and insulation is frequently deficient in British housing in general. Old houses especially are fundamentally difficult/impossible to insulate.


that is very true. You get an old victorian made with stone and your options are limited. the weird thing is that even in newer housing you don't have insulation. my house is 40 years old and there isn't a lick of insulation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cach0rr0
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 4122
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YawningAngel wrote:
For a free-spirited lot, you yanks don't do much to help yourselves. If you're cold, put some clothes on. I appreciate that you're probably a liberal arts major, but even still it's hardly rocket science, more like simple cause and effect. I guess it's about what I'd expect from a country where Rick Perry could hold elected office.


you put on appropriate clothing to protect you from the elements
you also own a home to protect you from the elements

if you're finding yourself having to put on special clothes to protect yourself against the elements *indoors*, something about your house isn't doing its job.

In the picture I linked above, I was wearing:
-a red army ushanka
-thermal undershirt
-one of these sweaters on top of that
-one of these parkas on top of that
-long johns (long thermal underwear)
-wool dress slacks on top of those
-thermal boot socks
-winter shooting gloves

...while inside the fucking house. Now, tell me this is something you should have to wear indoors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
Putting on more layers of clothes solves personal temperature deficit, but that doesn't stop damp and mould.

But as Naib said, more insulation and more heating is the order of the day. But as juniper points out heating and insulation is frequently deficient in British housing in general. Old houses especially are fundamentally difficult/impossible to insulate.

Anything can be insulated. If all else fails, build another wall inside the old ones and have foam blown in. That will stop anything. :lol:


we really need more people who have lived on both sides of the pond.

you don't think I/we have thought of that? keep in mind in London places are TINY. couples don't live in 3500 square foot homes with 18 bathrooms and 40 bedrooms here. a good size 3 bedroom is 1000 square feet. we were seriously considering 2/3 beds 500-600 square feet, for a four person family (that can dent the pocketbook by a few 100k in London). if you put a false wall in you will lose a crucial 1/2 foot on each wall, minimum. there are a lot of places in london with a room that is 5x6 feet.

not an option in a lot of places. now if you have an old victorian with rooms that a 12x13 and 12x15 you can do that easily.


Last edited by juniper on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:

...while inside the fucking house. Now, tell me this is something you should have to wear indoors.


also, if your office is so cold you need gloves... you can't type or write!


Last edited by juniper on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cach0rr0
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 4122
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

also, if your office is so cold you need gloves... well you can't type or write!


my office was always nice and toasty thankfully, though it was a fairly new building, built probably in the last 20 years (actually, most buildings in downtown Basingrad are relatively new). The ~1 mile walk (slightly less) from the train station to the office was always excruciating, but once i got inside things were grand. Plus, the little old ladies who did god knows what for the company, were always taking tea breaks, and making everyone tea, plus tea cakes. Once I got inside there a hundred layers came off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1102
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Anything can be insulated. If all else fails, build another wall inside the old ones and have foam blown in. That will stop anything. :lol:

Without it looking like a dog's arse. :P

And then there's the old doors with the draft coming in from underneath.. brrrr...

You'd be as well off demolishing the whole building and starting over from scratch in many cases.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
juniper wrote:

also, if your office is so cold you need gloves... well you can't type or write!


my office was always nice and toasty thankfully, though it was a fairly new building, built probably in the last 20 years (actually, most buildings in downtown Basingrad are relatively new). The ~1 mile walk (slightly less) from the train station to the office was always excruciating, but once i got inside things were grand. Plus, the little old ladies who did god knows what for the company, were always taking tea breaks, and making everyone tea, plus tea cakes. Once I got inside there a hundred layers came off.


the cold outside is nothing here. I remember in my old flat that it would be so cold that before I went out I would layer up like cray. Then I would get outside and find it was 5C. I can take that shit in my british pants. the warmest i have needed to dress here outdoors is a medium heavy wool coat. the trouble is that you can't take it off when you get indoors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cach0rr0
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 4122
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

the cold outside is nothing here. I remember in my old flat that it would be so cold that before I went out I would layer up like cray. Then I would get outside and find it was 5C. I can take that shit in my british pants. the warmest i have needed to dress here outdoors is a medium heavy wool coat. the trouble is that you can't take it off when you get indoors.


I did eventually get used to the cold, somewhat. I'm not sure if I acclimated, or if it simply permanently damaged all of my nerve endings, because my tolerance for heat is now better than it was before. Which, is pretty awesome, especially for the few aggregate weeks of wintery weather we have here, because I have the entire town to myself :lol: Hell I'm in shorts until it gets below 5C, thank Britain for that.

But when there's no escape from the cold, well now that's different. And with shoddily insulated buildings, the idea that you just never really get access to warm air for 6+ months of the year, explains why people fuck off to Spain every chance they get - and that's probably the worst homecoming, too, you go somewhere warm and sunny, then come back to the UK after, land, and it's cold/grey/wet/miserable. I made the mistake of doing my longest NZ trip in March, pretty sure when I came back I was the only person in the entire country with a sunburn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
juniper wrote:

the cold outside is nothing here. I remember in my old flat that it would be so cold that before I went out I would layer up like cray. Then I would get outside and find it was 5C. I can take that shit in my british pants. the warmest i have needed to dress here outdoors is a medium heavy wool coat. the trouble is that you can't take it off when you get indoors.


I did eventually get used to the cold, somewhat. I'm not sure if I acclimated, or if it simply permanently damaged all of my nerve endings, because my tolerance for heat is now better than it was before. Which, is pretty awesome, especially for the few aggregate weeks of wintery weather we have here, because I have the entire town to myself :lol: Hell I'm in shorts until it gets below 5C, thank Britain for that.

But when there's no escape from the cold, well now that's different. And with shoddily insulated buildings, the idea that you just never really get access to warm air for 6+ months of the year, explains why people fuck off to Spain every chance they get - and that's probably the worst homecoming, too, you go somewhere warm and sunny, then come back to the UK after, land, and it's cold/grey/wet/miserable. I made the mistake of doing my longest NZ trip in March, pretty sure when I came back I was the only person in the entire country with a sunburn.


I really did feel that oppression when I was renting. Spain? We fuck off there twice a year (the cheap deals help. Last deal was a flight for 3, 1 week hotel + car for 500 quid).

@Naib: You ever tried to talk a landlord into insulating? I tried, no go.

Anyway, that is why when we were looking for a place, heating was a much higher priority when we wanted. You think we are bad, you should see our relatives when they visit. literally, they are fish out of water since they are used to being that cold. My sister in law had the nerve to ask me to turn on the heat in the summer (it was 18C indoors). I have friends who dread when their NA relatives come over because it is a never ending struggle between them and the heat. Anyway, our place is warm. I think the main factor, as shittily insulated as it is, is that it is miles better than our last place. It has normal height ceilings, 25 year old windows (as opposed to 80) and one floor is on top of another. That, on top of doing a lot more research on energy companies (got a good deal on gas), keeps the bills pretty low and the place warm. we are going to put in insulation, so that will help a lot...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum