View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: xfce4-power-manager needs root to change brightness Reply with quote

Hi,

My brightness keys are Fn-F2 and Fn-F3 to lower and raise brightness respectively. Fn-F3 appears to work fine -- since I'm at max brightness anyway so the screen brightness doesn't change, but the big brightness overlay comes up and all seems well. In contrast, Nothing at all happens when I hit Fn-F2. So I ran xfce4-power-manager thusly:

xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug --dump

and I discovered that when I hit Fn-F3:
Code:

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:114] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)
TRACE[xfpm-backlight.c:219] xfpm_backlight_show(): Level 95
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:259] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_UP)

However, when I hit Fn-F2:
Code:

TRACE[xfpm-button.c:114] xfpm_button_filter_x_events(): Key press: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.

** (xfce4-power-manager:13474): WARNING **: (xfpm-brightness.c:468):xfpm_brightness_helper_down: runtime check failed: (xfpm_brightness_helper_set_level (brightness, set_level))

** (xfce4-power-manager:13474): WARNING **: xfpm_brightness_helper_down did not change the hw level to 86
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:259] xfpm_manager_button_pressed_cb(): Received button press event: ((XfpmButtonKey) BUTTON_MON_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN)

Running xfce4-power-manager as root, suddenly both raising and lowering brightness work fine. So I lowered the brightness, and reran xfce4-power-manager as a regular user, and now both directions yield "Not authorized" errors, so it looks like Fn-F3 only appeared to work because it wasn't going to do anything anyway.

I assume I'm not meant to run xfce4-power-manager as root. How can I fix this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: