paludis can't read resume-file/stuck in cave resolve -e
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: paludis can't read resume-file/stuck in cave resolve -e Reply with quote

Hi,

I did a GCC-Update yesterday (4.4.6->4.6.2), running cave resolve -e installed-packages after that, to rebuild all packages with the new gcc.
As it should be, some packages failed - no problem, unimportant ones. I mounted /var/tmp/paludis into RAM, to speed up compilation. Unforunately, /var/tmp/paludis went full, resulting in failures.
So I stopped paludis (ctrl+C), unmounted /var/tmp/paludis, did cave resume -Rr - and now I get this:
Quote:
* Eek! Internal error at paludis::Deserialisation::Deserialisation(const string&, paludis::Deserialiser&) at serialise.cc:207: can't parse string (paludis::InternalError)

YEAH! I managed to build 829 packages out of 1129 successfully, and now I can't resume! I did a backup, but that has it's last finished build @247...
Actually, now all the interesting packages would have started. thunderbird, firefox, kde, ...

One full day compiling for nothing?
Or is there a way to get a working resume-file?
The resume-file has ~24MB (The broken one has 10...), editing manually is a mess, I would do it, if it was understandable at least :(

Is there someone out, who could help me? I won't start from scratch, today, nor tomorrow - completely lost interest in rebuilding ATM :(

Thx in advance
Franz
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should ask on #paludis on freenode, or on its mailing list.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
maybe you should ask on #paludis on freenode, or on its mailing list.

Thx for the tip (I haven't been on IRC since years, so this idea did not pop in...)
I think it is not possible to recover from the broken resume-file. Several packages I know could not be found by grep, If the list is not complete, the recovery is quite useless.

In the meantime, have managed to start from the point of failure, though.
I had the back up. I resumed from that, stopped after the initial state paludis prints (succesfuil built, failed, skipped, ...) and copy-pasted all lines from the last succesful package on downwards, saved it to a file and did the following command:
Code:
sed 's/skipped:   install /=/g' cave_list_raw | sed 's/ to ::installed replacing [0-9a-z_.-]*//' > cave_packages

I'm not that familiar with that kind of file-editing, so maybe there is a better way, but it works :)
I just needed to do
Code:
cave resolve $(cat cave_packages)

and now the rest of the packages get merged :)

No real solution, if you did not back up your resume-file...
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose it's not possible this way.

you might want to create a resume command, and simply cut it at an appropriate point based on package build logs in /var/log/paludis when it fails again.

does in ram building speed up compilation that much?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: