The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Reply with quote

It is pretty awesome that Skyrim is already running on Linux. I guess we got lucky because they went with a DX9 engine. I attempted to run it with the version of Wine in portage (1.3.32) but I have not been successful. I don't know if downgrading would help. In the meantime I attempted to get it running with GameTree Linux. GameTree Linux is what cedega has become since it was discontinued as a commercial product. It is free and available for download. I made a video as a part of my continued effort to record different games running in Gentoo. In the description I included instructions on running it. It is pretty simple and it runs very well. The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIuOJANnNJo

It would be nice if more games worked this quickly after release. It would be even better if they were native.
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind sharing your system specs and the performance? I'm considering playing it and I want to see if it's going to be worth the effort to try.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't looked into it at all, but by some videos, it seems a lot like Oblivion so perhaps the engine and whatnots weren't changed much?
If memory serves, Oblivion runs pretty well via Wine, and I have a feeling Skyrim will, too.

Would like to try, but I'm not seeing myself buying it anytimesoon. ^^;
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a new engine. I think we benefited from the fact that game consoles, including the Xbox 360, were the target platforms so they stuck mostly with DX9 API which is fairly well supported by wine. The performance with the medium setttings defaults is really good. The game plays smoothly. In the video the framerate is reduced by the capture process and it also made the cursor jump around in the menus but it is quite smooth when I'm not recording. I was able to play with the settings on high though I had to reduce AA and I found some spots with a lot of effects could bring the framerate down to the teens. I haven't had that issue with medium settings. I will try tweaking settings more extensively in the next few days.

My hardware is actually fairly modest in comparison to what can be had today.

From my HardOCP sig heh:

Motherboard: Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 975
RAM: 4GB G.Skill 1066 5-5-5-15
GPU: XFX GeForce 9800GTX+ BE 512MB
Audio: SB Audigy 4 (Hardware Mixing)
HDD: 2 x SATA 1TB WD = 2TB RAID0 Array
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU
GenProm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I tried the GameTree for Linux once but i was not able to get ist running. It seemed to be made to run on a TV platform and not really on a PC.

Did you manage to get it running in Gentoo ? If so how ?

Manuel
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten in running using wine 1.3.24 and by following all the tips from winhq's appdb. It's still a bit buggy, though (I can't change keyboard mapping, I don't get any sound from spells, and mouse movement seems sluggish). It's possible that 1.3.32 would work better, but I don't get any sound from it because wine versions newer than 1.3.24 don't play nice with pulseaudio.

I'm running a core i5 2500k and a nvidia 560 Ti and get very good performance on low settings (haven't tried anything higher, I don't care about graphics all that much).
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenProm wrote:
Hi

I tried the GameTree for Linux once but i was not able to get ist running. It seemed to be made to run on a TV platform and not really on a PC.

Did you manage to get it running in Gentoo ? If so how ?

There are two different things when you go to the site. There is GameTree TV and there is GameTree Linux. Go here and create your account: https://gametreedeveloper.com/

After you have your account log in and go here: https://gametreedeveloper.com/linux

Download the last option, the tarball. That is what you want to install.

palmem wrote:
I've gotten in running using wine 1.3.24 and by following all the tips from winhq's appdb. It's still a bit buggy, though (I can't change keyboard mapping, I don't get any sound from spells, and mouse movement seems sluggish). It's possible that 1.3.32 would work better, but I don't get any sound from it because wine versions newer than 1.3.24 don't play nice with pulseaudio.

I'm running a core i5 2500k and a nvidia 560 Ti and get very good performance on low settings (haven't tried anything higher, I don't care about graphics all that much).

I still want to get it working in Wine but when I was trying to run it would crash at the menu every time. So I have been waiting for an update in portage. I did not have the mouse issues reported on the appdb when using GTLinux. The mouse is very smooth. I did have the black squares when using fire issue but I note a fix for that in the video description. Right now I am using settings that are between medium and high but I turned off AA and AF and the game is running very smoothly.

My video got posted on "The Linux Subreddit" and there was a lot of banter about the use of GTLinux. People automatically discount it. I understand the history. I have been using wine for a long time and I used cedega from the time it was called WineX. I would think that people would forget about it considering it isn't a commercial product anymore and it is available for free. Here is the reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/mfaow/skyrim_running_on_linux_gentoo_with_gametree/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: