Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
mkyral wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:
padoor wrote:
well i too hope these features can be added and ETA of the running merge
padoor, do you know about genlop (app-portage/genlop)? It can provide running status and remaining time estimates.

- John

I know it, but I don't know why, almost always I tried it, genlop told me, there is no running emerge. But it was not true.

It being a separate command also reduces it's usefulness and like you said the fact that it has to be ran when the emerge is going and it just doesn't wait for something to output is a pita too... and actually as I just check it out now I see it just runs, checks the running emerge and outputs some time then it's done. Not an ongoing progress without some other foo obviously.
Shameless plug (see my sig) :P
You might have realised by now that I like the no verbose output by default :)
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the memo.

I kept searching back to see if I forgot something on my emerge world command , like the --verbose. So had to search the forum and found this thread.

I don't know how but would have been nice to have a heads up on the change somehow.. a warn message on portage or something? Or maybe there was and I just missed it.

One point: for years I didn't have it set up to email me the warnings/messages at the end of some emerges. Now I do, so I don't miss them. I think that point should be raised.. how do people see the warn messages if not getting them emailed.. maybe people should set that up. I doubt folks go through all their build logs regularly.. most of us anyway.

I may get used to this.. seems ok I guess. It is nice when you have an idea how long something is going to take.. like the ebuilds such as KDE stuff that has percentages of progress on about every line. But maybe I was wasting too much time watching stuff like that..

/jd

[edit]

Another thought for the newbs.. sometimes there's some handy messages. Say you have a task you need to start or end dependent on the emerge finishing but that damn chromium was in your emerge list. So what's the progress? gotta know before your start/end this other task. There's that little command "tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log" in another terminal window that used to be displayed for looking at large download progress. That's one example.. maybe there's more I'm forgetting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: