Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzerth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indietrash wrote:
on ux31a now. spent two days setting it up.

CPU:
cpufreq just works. I am able to get the temperature as well. it's quite cool, mostly. could be cooler under stress, but... eh. good enough. Firefox merged in 20 minutes, thunderbird in 22 minutes, gentoo sources in 8 minutes, kile in a minute, texlive-latex in 20 seconds, genlop in 5 seconds, heh. let me know if anyone is interested the time for something else. if I have it, I'll post it.

HEAT:
yes. CPU is really cool, but the back part of the laptop makes it to a tabletop when compiling too much.

Hi, I've got ux31a too with i5 CPU.

My CPU is cool - about 40-50 C (sensors invormation), but fan frequently starts working for about 10-20 sec and it's really annoyng.
I've install laptop-mode-tools and cpufreq-utils so and in kernel I've set up default CPU frequency governor as 'conservative' so my CPU runs most of time at 800 MHz.
So why fans doing this strange things? How can I reduce fan awakenings?

Thanks
xzerth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum is dead?
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xzerth wrote:
Forum is dead?

No its not dead, just that no one feels like they have a useful answer to your question.

If I were in your situation I would start much more further upstream than simply installing app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools and cpufreq-utils (not actually sure what you refer to here as there is not such package in portage).

The fans spin up when the CPU is working hard, so start by investigating what processes are running at the time and maxing out CPU using the 'top' command.
noclear2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Basically solved. Found out that I need to disable "secure boot" in order to enable CSM-boot. This way I was able to boot my BIOS-type sticks. For a dual-boots setup with Win 8 I would still need to create a UEFI-type stick. As I will only run Linux I couldstick with BIOS/CSM-boot type. Still I'd like to try to install Gentoo the UEFI way (for educational purpose). Trying to find out how to create and UEFI Gentto install USB stick now. :)

Hi there,

Soryr for hi-jacking this thread...

I just received my new sAus Zenbook Prime UX31A-R4003H with Windows 8 pre-insatlled. I want to install gentoo on it. This is bya far not my first gentoo installation but I encounter problems when trying to boot from USB.

This device is using Ami Aptio firware (UEFI) with the option to enable CSM (or CMS) which is some sort of BIOS compatibilty layer. It has two USB 3.0 ports (no 2.0). I created a bootable USB stick from the minimal install CD with extlinux boot-laoder. This stick boots fine on an HP EliteBook and some BIOS-based devices.

When trying to boot the Zenbook with the USB stick it it displayed in the boot device menu but only once. I expected it to disply it twice. There is only one entry starting with UEFI: USB USB 2.0 Flas 8.07.7 or similar. This one is not working (as expected).
As I read many Linux compatibilty reviews ArchLinux, Ubuntu etc. it must be possible. Thought I do not manage to get it done. Searching the internet I found there should be two USB entries where one is for BIOS-comptaible booting and the other for UEFI. I always have the UEFI one only.

So if s/o having Linux running on such a device read this please indicate which firmware/AMI version yuo are runnign and whether you installed in BIOS-mode or UEFI mode (in the latter case how to i create an EFI bootlader equipped stick?). My version is 214. 216 is availblable from asus.de. Did not updat yet as the ArchLinux wiki said some newer versions cause ACPI problems with Linux. But the claim 212 to be the latest unproblematic one so 214 is probabyl already too late (it came with this pre.-installed).

Any help is really appreciated. The hardware is great but I would prefer to use Linux/Gentoo on it. Or in worst case Win 7, but Win 8 is too tablet-ish for me. Even Win 7 won't be trivial to install as it doesn't support USB 3.0 out of the box. But have not given up yet to install Gentoo!
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noclear2000 wrote:
EDIT: Basically solved. Found out that I need to disable "secure boot" in order to enable CSM-boot. This way I was able to boot my BIOS-type sticks. For a dual-boots setup with Win 8 I would still need to create a UEFI-type stick. As I will only run Linux I couldstick with BIOS/CSM-boot type. Still I'd like to try to install Gentoo the UEFI way (for educational purpose). Trying to find out how to create and UEFI Gentto install USB stick now. :)

I had some problems with this when the laptop (UX21e) was returned after repair (they'd wiped the Gentoo install and kindly replaced it with another M$-Win :evil: ). All I had to do was enable UEFI in the BIOS under "Boot" and then, with the USB drive plugged in change the order in which devices were booted from, save, exit and reboot and the device booted from the USB stick no problem. Nothing special about the USB stick or need for "an UEFI Gentoo install USB", although I went with Linux Mint as I had an ISO cluttering up my HD and was too lazy to download another one just to get the install started.

Not much help really, but god luck
noclear2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. sorry for the late reply and thanks to everybody who posted in this thread in relpy to me.I settled with the BIOS/CSM method and almost everything is fine, besides usb hotplug:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-950160-highlight-.html
xzerth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I've found solution!

The major part of information can be found here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/705656-fan-control-asus-prime-ux31-ux31a-ux32a-ux32vd.html
http://www.linlap.com/asus_ux32vd (it's ok that article for ux32vd)

That guy found how to control fan speed. Also there is no kernel module for it but it is safe to compile this script (i've done it :)) and than fan became controllable so you may write a daemon that controls your fan speed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: