lm_sensors?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: lm_sensors? Reply with quote

I searched for everything I could find on lm_sensors, but really found nothing that solved my problem.

I emerged lm_sensors, then found out I had to make the i2c modules for it to work.. Not a problem. I made mrproper, make menuconfig, turned on i2c as modules (all the options), compiled the kernel and modules..

Now when I do a depmod -a, I get tons of unresolved symbols on all the i2c modules -only-, everything else is just peachy.

Any ideas?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, lm_sensors is a wierdo.

It like to install everything into the misc directory under your /lib/modules/`uname -r` directory and it's up to you to take care of things.
what I usually do is nuke everything but what I need after I emerge it everytime I make a kernel. you can make a batch script to do this, as I have also. (a script called "build-kernel" that make dep ; make clean bzImage modules modules_install and emerges my nvidia stuff, reconfigures vmware with "vmware-config.pl default", and re-emerges lm_sensors)
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

i get some unresolved symbols as well.

if you look on the lm_senors Homepage and have a look at the FAQ it provides answers to them.

i just dont worry about it, sensors-detect found my stuff and the unresolved symbols just create a few extra lines of text ;)[/url]
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unresolved symbols are gone if you compile all the I2C options in the kernel as modules, and then emerge lm_sensors.
SyKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alter, just for reference, all i2c items in the kernel config are built as modules.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I do it and have for a long time with lots of different hardware. Check out the latest CVS by following the instructions on this page. Make sure to get the 2.x code. The best place to do it is in /usr/src so the i2c and lm_sensors2 directories are conveniently located near /usr/src/linux. Once you have those you just cd into each and run 'cvs update -d' to snag the latest version whenever you want.

Then I patch the kernel, doing i2c first:
cd /usr/src/i2c
mkpatch/mkpatch.pl . /usr/src/linux | patch -p1 -E -d /usr/src/linux

cd ../lm_sensors2
(rerun the patch script by using a couple up arrows :) )

Now cd into linux, run 'make mrproper' and fire up your favorite config tool. Under Character Devices you will find i2c, so go in there and turn on support for your hardware. I highly recommend building all of this in rather than using modules. Just make sure you know what sensor hardware you are using and choose carefully in both sections. When you back out of there, a Hardware sensors section will have magically appeared next on the list. Go in there and build in support for whatever you have.

The module way seems to want to build all of them instead of the few that you need. All of the extras can be deleted manually if you do it like that and want to get rid of the errors from depmod.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: