configuration file warnings in when running emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidamnesiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: configuration file warnings in when running emerge Reply with quote

I am a new gentoo user, just completed my first test install, running in virtualbox as guest.

Anyway, after installing the base system as per handbook, I decided to try and install X.org server which required me to put "x11-base/xorg-server udev" in /etc/portage/package.use. I had to create the file since it didn't exist before.

Since then, portage keeps complaining "IMPORTANT: config file /etc/portage/package.use needs updating". I checked the man pages, online documentation and searched for anything on the forums and googled the warning, but I can't seem to find an explanation why it complains, for me there seems to be nothing wrong with the file and its contents. Is this a bug? Anyway, the file contains just that single line ("x11-base/xorg-server udev") that I needed to install X.

Portage also notes at the end of each operation that 36 other files in /etc need updating. Is there at least a way to disable these warnings? I'm guessing these files aren't very important since they aren't covered by the handbook.

I'm sorry for the newbie question, otherwise a great distro, very engrossing and quite entertaining, perfect as something to play with while I'm at work!
mahdi1234
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here for answer - https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=23475
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidamnesiac,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Once upon a time, x11-base/xorg-server could be built to use either hal or udev and you needed to choose one. Since that time hal has been removed and x11-base/xorg-server will always use udev. This means you don't need the line in /etc/portage/package.use

The 36 other files in /etc are far more important. You need to inspect them and possibly accept the changes. I say possibly because some of the proposed changed will revert your configuration settings and you don't want that.

Gentoo provides several tools to help. The original tool is called etc-update, another more user friendly tool is dispatch-conf. I'm an etc-update user because dispatch-conf wasn't aroung in 2002 when I met Gentoo.

As you are new to this process, look at all of the proposed changes before you decide if you will accept them or not.
There are a few rules of thumb to help you, once you have has some practice.

Updates to /etc/init.d/* can almost always be accepted.
Updates to /etc/conf.d/* need to be looked at unless your are sure you have never edited the file in question. e.g. you may not want your keymap to revert to US and your hostname to revert to localhost.
Updates to pam files should be accepted unless you have been configuring pam to suit yourself.

There is no need to be sorry for newbie questions - we were all newbies at one time and we all still remember our first steps in GEntoo.
Keep in mind that the only silly question is the one you never ask ... but be on your guard for silly answers.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: