Multiple Architectures Share /usr/portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st0rm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Multiple Architectures Share /usr/portage Reply with quote

I plan to turn my families collection of Ubuntu and Windows machines to all run Gentoo to simplify upkeep and organize my machines. I would like to share /usr/portage from a single machine so that I can keep Portage updated without having to sync all the machines. Can I share that same /usr/portage with a 64 bit install? I would imagine so, because the compiler and machine settings are defined in /etc/make.conf, but I would just like to double check. Or would it just be simpler to run a mirror on my LAN and have the machines rsync to it? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
jdhore
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple Architectures Share /usr/portage Reply with quote

st0rm wrote:
I plan to turn my families collection of Ubuntu and Windows machines to all run Gentoo to simplify upkeep and organize my machines. I would like to share /usr/portage from a single machine so that I can keep Portage updated without having to sync all the machines. Can I share that same /usr/portage with a 64 bit install? I would imagine so, because the compiler and machine settings are defined in /etc/make.conf, but I would just like to double check. Or would it just be simpler to run a mirror on my LAN and have the machines rsync to it? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Any systems can share /usr/portage (if you have any binary packages, that MAY complicate things). I personally do it via a NFS share and have SYNC set correctly so I can sync the tree once from any of my systems and it'll be synced on all of them. It's quite nice.

It SHOULD work via a Samba share or SSHFS, but I personally prefer NFS. It's simpler. :P
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work with Samba / CIFS ok; it's probably easier to export the whole
/usr/portage tree, rather than updating each system individually. Any
differences between machines can be resolved with a local overlay
in eg: /usr/local/portage.

Will
Hu

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can handle packages by adjusting PKGDIR in the per-machine make.conf. At a minimum, you want to have one PKGDIR per ARCH. If you need to keep multiple configurations of a package within an architecture, you may want even more separate directories for PKGDIR. As a start, add PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages/${ARCH}". This will make separate directories for x86, amd64, etc.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I've done what jdhore suggested with NFS, it worked excellent.
I've even used binhost as my desktop and laptop was of the same cpu family.
st0rm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, finals week was a pain!

Thanks for all the input. I'll be using NFS to share /usr/portage. Thanks HU for the tips on the architectures as well!
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

To reduce disk space and bandwith, I squashed portage trees and shared the squash archive. Each computer has its own PKGDIR and DISTDIR for the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: