Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mephinet wrote:
Polynomial-C wrote:
The combination of find and grep in our stable tree seems to have trouble with multiple filename patterns finding files containing a specific string.

As mentioned, you need to add (quoted) parenthesis around the or-ed name patterns, as in:

Code:
find /usr \( -name "*.la" -or -name "*.pc" -or .... \) -exec grep -H png14 {} \;

Well now your previous comment actually makes sense. I was very confused because on my ~arch machines find doesn't need the parenthesis to work correctly.

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
mephinet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
Well now your previous comment actually makes sense. I was very confused because on my ~arch machines find doesn't need the parenthesis to work correctly.

Oh, sorry for my short-spoken post... Thanks for your work in documenting this issue!
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
padoor wrote:
Code:
ramaswamy@localtux ~ $ su
Password:
localtux ramaswamy # emerge -1av $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)
Usage: emerge [options]

emerge: error: no such option: -,
localtux ramaswamy #

from above posts it was said no pckages need -libpng14
but i need it for graphviz
emrge error says

Code:
CCLD   libgvplugin_gd_C.la
   CCLD   libgvplugin_gd.la
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14
 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

what now?

Maybe this -lpng14 is coming from a pkgconfig file. You may try a slightly updated version of the one-liner:
Code:
emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -CSq | sort | uniq)

Please report back if that helps so I can update my first post accordingly.

Code:
ramaswamy@localtux ~ $ su
Password:
localtux ramaswamy # emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -CSq | sort | uniq)

Usage: emerge [options]

emerge: error: no such option: -,
localtux ramaswamy #

the post back part of the message i noticed today only.
no such options?
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:

the post back part of the message i noticed today only.
no such options?

Please have a look at the first post of this thread again. The "script" has changed a bit since I wrote the answer to your post so please try the latest one instead.

my portage overlay

steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be quicker for the inner part:
Code:
find /usr -type f \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -qF png14 {} \; -exec qfile -CSq {} + | uniq

This is POSIX compatible; + has been around for ages[1], although GNU find was scandalously late in implementing it a few years ago, and takes the place of a similar xargs construct which might be more familiar:
Code:
find /usr -type f \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -qF png14 {} \; -print0 | xargs -0 qfile -CSq | uniq

Here the thing to realise is that the next action is taken if the previous one was true (implicit AND); that's why you have to parenthesize off the -o/OR'ed part. This works with an -exec as well; using grep -q simply to give an exit status for the match (and of course -F as it's a fixed-string) means we can check the file once and then do something else with it; printing it through the pipe like this means we don't have to cut the file names and then pass a whole bunch of duplicates to qfile. Of course, we can also use a further action, which gives the example at the start; there the + simply collects arguments until it has enough to fill a command-line (or has run out.)

-print0 has also been around for ages, but is not specified in POSIX, though it is discussed in links below.

There's no point using sort | uniq ime; if you really want that use sort -u. (If I'm missing something, let me know:) Here of course it makes no difference whether the atoms are sorted; portage will work out a build-plan for all of them (mostly) irrespective of order on command-line. (Sorting by name doesn't help anything.)

I'm crashing out now, but bonus points for excluding /usr/src and /usr/portage ;)

HTH,
igli.

[1] POSIX 04 find
[2] POSIX 08 find
[3] Classic find page from the best BASH website out there.
[4] Start here for portable scripting; even if you're using BASH (and why not? It is pretty portable ;) it helps to stick to portable commands and options where possible. GNU awk is nice; so if a script uses a GNUism, I use gawk and not awk as the command name, so it at least has a chance of running on other systems.

update - "a most excellent portage wrapper"

#friendly-coders -- We're still here for you™ ;)
askoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x11-libs/pango-1.28.4 seems to fail because of this error:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the upgrade, what should I do with:

/usr/lib64/libpng14.so
/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14
/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14.8.0

and

/usr/lib32/libpng14.so
/usr/lib32/libpng14.so.14
/usr/lib32/libpng14.so.14.8.0
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
After the upgrade, what should I do with:

/usr/lib64/libpng14.so
/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14.8.0

and

/usr/lib32/libpng14.so
/usr/lib32/libpng14.so.14.8.0

If you still have /usr/lib64/libpng14.so, then you never upgraded. Ask again after upgrading.
djinnZ
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x entered stable - upgrade tips Reply with quote

Polynomial-C wrote:
Code:
emerge -1av --keep-going $(find /usr \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -CSq | sort | uniq)
in a clean system, after the revdep-rebuild
# find /usr \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -H png14 {} \; :
grep: /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libgcj-4.4.pc: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/cblas.pc: No such file or directory
and emerge or qfile can be started without arguments. So must be
Code:
find /opt /usr -path /usr/portage -prune -o -type f -a \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs -r qfile -CSq | uniq | xargs -r emerge -1pv
IMHO
So it can be started after the the revdep-rebuild to verify if all is done.
At least can be
Code:
emerge -1av $( find /opt /usr -path /usr/portage -prune -o -type f -a \( -name "*.la" -o -name "*.pc" -o -name "*-config" -o -name "*.pm" \) -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs -r qfile -CSq | uniq )
if you like the --ask

edit
I have missed to read alla messages.

@stevel: you have forget the | cut |. -print0 | xargs -0 will work -print0 | cut | xargs no. But are equivalent

Last edited by djinnZ on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
If you still have /usr/lib64/libpng14.so, then you never upgraded. Ask again after upgrading.

After an updatedb ;-) I get:

Code:

/opt/dropbox/libpng12.so.0
/usr/lib32/libpng.so
/usr/lib32/libpng12.so.0
/usr/lib32/libpng15.so
/usr/lib32/libpng15.so.15
/usr/lib32/libpng15.so.15.5.0
/usr/lib64/libpng.so
/usr/lib64/libpng15.so
/usr/lib64/libpng15.so.15
/usr/lib64/libpng15.so.15.5.0

Is it OK to rm

Code:

/usr/lib32/libpng12.so.0
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

After an updatedb ;-) I get:

Is it OK to rm

Code:

/usr/lib32/libpng12.so.0

You can 'emerge -C libpng:1.4' and 'rm -f /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14'. Those in lib32 are from emul-linux-x86-baselibs, it's fine to leave them be.
djinnZ
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
It sound as a stupid question but... why remove libpng14.so.14 manually?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djinnZ wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
It sound as a stupid question but... why remove libpng14.so.14 manually?

Because nothing else will do it for you due to the behavior of preserve_old_lib() function from eutils.eclass. It even tells you to manually remove the file in postinst message generated by the preserve_old_lib_notify() after libpng upgrade, after running the revdep-rebuild --library.

Here is the snippet from eutils.eclass:

Code:

# @FUNCTION: preserve_old_lib_notify
# @USAGE: <libs to notify> [more libs]
# @DESCRIPTION:
# Spit helpful messages about the libraries preserved by preserve_old_lib.
preserve_old_lib_notify() {

[ .. removing unrelated lines from paste .. ]

if [[ ${notice} -eq 1 ]] ; then
                ewarn
                ewarn "Once you've finished running revdep-rebuild, it should be safe to"
                ewarn "delete the old libraries.  Here is a copy & paste for the lazy:"
                for lib in "$@" ; do
                        ewarn "  # rm '${lib}'"   <------------------------------------ READ HERE
                done
        fi
}
djinnZ
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Clear now.
In case the upgrade will be something capable to break the base runtime better have to manual delete a file than a disaster.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng-1.5.x entered stable - upgrade tips Reply with quote

djinnZ wrote:
@stevel: you have forget the | cut |. -print0 | xargs -0 will work -print0 | cut | xargs no. But are equivalent

No I didn't: I specifically pointed out that we don't need the cut (nor indeed the duplicate filenames):
steveL wrote:
using grep -q simply to give an exit status for the match (and of course -F as it's a fixed-string) means we can check the file once and then do something else with it; printing it through the pipe like this means we don't have to cut the file names and then pass a whole bunch of duplicates to qfile.

I'm not sure what you mean about piping thru cut and then -print0 as the -print predicate is part of the find command. In any event the cut is totally unnecessary, and comes from not using grep properly (perhaps not realising you can use the exit status in find) which also leads to duplicates which cruft up the pipe; you'd have to uniq/sort -u them before they hit qfile, but why bother when you can ensure you only get the name once? Or even better can -exec qfile directly.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@To everyone that worked on libpng 1.5 project

I would like to thanks everyone them, because it went pretty good (libpng 1.4 --> 1.5) this time.

It worked pretty good on my box and I'm really happy because I still remember the messy upgrade that I had when we had to migrate from libpng 1.2 --> 1.4.

Great work :P
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Now I have to revive this thread.... :( I use x86 version.

Since I unmasked libpng15 (yes, I have been cheating by masking libpng15 to avoid this problem), I cannot compile gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2. build.log says
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14

though I erased libpng.14.so.14.

What's the point of this thread?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: btw, I still have libpng12 in my system :)
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, "emerge --info =gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2" is
Code:
# emerge --info =gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2
Portage 2.1.10.11 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.5.3, glibc-2.12.2-r0, 3.0.4-maverick i686)
=================================================================
                        System Settings
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.0.4-maverick-i686-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_E7400_@_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:          4.1_p9
dev-java/java-config:     2.1.11-r3
dev-lang/python:          2.6.6-r2, 2.7.1-r1, 3.1.3-r1
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.4-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.26
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc:          0.8.3-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.4
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake:       1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:       2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.4.5, 4.5.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.4.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 2.6.36.1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.12.2
Repositories: gentoo x-portage
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse -mssse3 -march=core2"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.3/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse -mssse3 -march=core2"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--autounmask=n"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.gg3.net/ http://distfiles.gentoo.org/"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en_US ja"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/var/tmp/portage-pkg"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac aalib acl alsa apache2 apng berkdb bzip2 cairo canna cdda cjk cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus device-mapper dri dvd dvdread encode extras fftw flac fortran gd gdbm gdu gnome gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 iconv icu imap imlib ipv6 java joystick jpeg jpeg2k libmpeg2 libnotify mjpeg mmx modules mp3 mp4 mpg123 mudflap mysql nautilus ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nspluginwrapper ogg openmp pam pcre pdf php png pnm policykit pppd pulseaudio python qt3support readline rtmp sdk sdl session smbclient smtp sndfile sqlite sse sse2 sse3 ssl ssse3 swat sysfs szip tcpd threads tiff tordns udev unicode v4l vcd video vorbis x86 xml xorg xv zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en_US ja" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia intel fbdev vga" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick6664 wrote:
What's the point of this thread?

You are kidding, right? The point of this thread is to solve problems exactly like yours. Try actually reading it.
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am asking what is wrong in this problem. Some packages can be emerged (for ex, R), but not gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2 on my box. But d2_racing writes "It worked pretty good". So I am wondering.

regards,
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not everyone has gnome-settings-daemon installed, me for example.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2 is refusing to build for me with /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng14

EDIT: Solved by editing libgnomekbd.la and libgnonekbdui.la and manually changing libpng14 reference to libpng15.

Code:
HP ~ # nano -w /usr/lib64/libgnomekbd.la
HP ~ # nano -w /usr/lib64/libgnomekbdui.la

This works for 64 bit, guess for 32 bit these files would be in usr/lib
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone still hasn't done this upgrade yet, can I suggest using update to do it for you? It has custom handling of packages that break ABI like this, so I put in a new entry for libpng-1.5. I had absolutely no problem with the upgrade; the only thing I needed to do was run the command given which only brought up 2 packages after update had done its thing. I've written it up here.

HTH.
CrazyCasta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem a dumb question, but why not just use lafilefixer --justfixit instead of this find command?
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyCasta wrote:
This may seem a dumb question, but why not just use lafilefixer --justfixit instead of this find command?

Because it only fixes *.la files. But these -lpng14 references can be found in many more files like *.pc (package-config), *.pm (perl modules) and *-config files.
Another reason is that lafilefixer is fixing files without changing the checksum of these files in portage's package-database. This can lead to files becoming orphaned on later unmerges.

my portage overlay

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: