Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to replay but I shall.

Try DL'ing the Photoshop or Autocad you mention to a device & it's not going to happen. Just go the Mac App Store for example. You can buy Photoshop there but it doesn't dl ... the software package is shipped to you. That will be the same for all high end 3rd party apps.

Any app store that exists you can excess form a web browser. I see no need for a Gentoo app. When a company wants to take your money they will provide a means to get their product to you. Just as Apple provides iTunes for PCs. It didn't take Microsoft creating the Windows iTune version so Apple could sell their products on Windows machines..

I really dislike Android Market on my phone. Every time I used it I felt like I was using someone's used condom. Now I get any apps I want via the browser.

If a market app was available, I would not try it. But hey, that's just me. I'm kinda strange like that. I'm a producer in life and not a consumer.

But don't let my words stop you from creating one.

Last edited by roki942 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: An App-Store extension to Portage [Just a thought] Reply with quote

Duco Ergo Sum wrote:
The suggestions is this: Extend Portage to deliver commercial software that can be bought through emerge. Backing this up with a web interface for account management and online purchasing. I imagine that this would produce an 'eco system' similar to that used on mobile phones.

Let me guess, this web interface would require flash for the intro/exit and javascript....

Four Fifths of my computers (all running gentoo except 1 netbsd firewall) are headless, some don't even have a framebuffer.

Now let's assume I want to buy "SuperServerLogManager '11" for my servers. Will I be forced to install X applications just to install the software? What about updates, would they be free, or fee? And if I bought it once, can I put it on all of my servers (currently running four different arches), so if it's not source code that'd mean i'd need binaries for each. also, if i replace the hardware, will i be able to transfer the software, or have to buy a new copy?

Can you answer those questions? My guess is you think computers = Intel + AMD, and all are running as desktops/workstations with attached keyboard and monitor.

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: