XviD Support in xine ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fillzee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: XviD Support in xine ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get xine to include xvid support?
I know of no emerge solution for xvid so I just downloaded the sources and built it normally. But when I ebuild xine it dosent seam to find the xvid library :(
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: XviD Support in xine ? Reply with quote

Fillzee wrote:
Does anyone know how to get xine to include xvid support?
I know of no emerge solution for xvid so I just downloaded the sources and built it normally. But when I ebuild xine it dosent seam to find the xvid library :(

I don't know whether this is possible (you'd have to read portage docs and stuff)... but I think you can try adding "xvid" or "XviD" to the USE variable in /etc/make.conf ...

Then when it starts to compile xine, it might see xvid. Just a thought.

It can't hurt to have it in there (I hope) because any USE variables that don't apply to the current package being emerged are simply ignored.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt xvid just another name for divx? DivX backwards is XviD...
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: xvid vs. divx Reply with quote

nempo wrote:

I'm not really sure what XviD's relationship to DivX is. I have an idea of it though.

Back in the day (think DivX 4.x just came out) the OpenDivX project at http://www.projectmayo.com was still being worked on. It was the open-source base for DivX 4.x...

There are two forks from that code base, afaik... they are the open-source XviD, and the closed-source DivX 5.x (which is no longer open source on ProjectMayo.com).

I think.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: xvid vs. divx Reply with quote

[quote="reverius42"]
nempo wrote:

I'm not really sure what XviD's relationship to DivX is. I have an idea of it though.

Back in the day (think DivX 4.x just came out) the OpenDivX project at http://www.projectmayo.com was still being worked on. It was the open-source base for DivX 4.x...

There are two forks from that code base, afaik... they are the open-source XviD, and the closed-source DivX 5.x (which is no longer open source on ProjectMayo.com).

I think.[/quote

So they are just two different codecs?? They probably still have full mpeg4 complience so "DivX" support should be sufficient.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: xvid vs. divx Reply with quote

nempo wrote:
So they are just two different codecs?? They probably still have full mpeg4 complience so "DivX" support should be sufficient.

Well... afaik, DivX 4.x (and thus OpenDivX source) was never fully MPEG4 compliant. So I think there are minor differences in the two codecs that need to be accounted for.

Plus there is a different fourcc that requires a different codec for playback... so the AVI file tells the player that it needs the XviD codec, or at least one that handles that fourcc. It all depends on the player's implementation of the codec, I guess.

It would be really easy to change the fourcc of the AVI file, but who really wants to do that with a bunch of movies?

P.S. make sure you close all of your brackets... :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: