Grub 1.99_rc1 keeps re-emerging the same version
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Grub 1.99_rc1 keeps re-emerging the same version Reply with quote

Every time I run an update (emerge -uDatvN world) grub 1.99 is re-emerged with the same version and flag settings.

Code:
[ebuild   R   *] sys-boot/grub-1.99_rc1  USE="multislot truetype -custom-cflags -debug -static" 0 kB [0]

It's been like this for a year and it's getting quite annoying. I have both grub 1 and 2 (1.99) installed since I haven't completely moved to grub 2 yet. I'm just testing it out to see if I'm ready to make the switch.

Any ideas? Should I post a bug about it?
floppymaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be caused by the way the "multislot" use flag is implemented; technically it violates the ebuild policy of "metadata invariance", which could cause the behavior you are seeing.

The real question I have is why you have been "testing" grub2 for a year? Either it works for you or it doesn't. Either way, I recommend disabling the broken multislot use flag.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floppymaster wrote:
This could be caused by the way the "multislot" use flag is implemented; technically it violates the ebuild policy of "metadata invariance", which could cause the behavior you are seeing.

The real question I have is why you have been "testing" grub2 for a year? Either it works for you or it doesn't. Either way, I recommend disabling the broken multislot use flag.

Haha touché.. Yes you are correct, the thing is that I installed grub2 to test it out, and spent a couple of hours to get it running in QEMU (to test everything without having to reboot lots of times), but then just left it lying there. I think grub2 was since in some ways, but it kind of threw me off that I didn't have any control about what choices I had in the boot menu anymore. It automatically added EVERY Linux image I had in the /boot directory, which was a very long (and ugly) list of different versions.

I also lost the NoKMS/KMS options I had added manually. I know I can fix it by editing several grub2 config files in /etc, but I haven't taken the time to clean it up. I somehow found the guides rather lacking, but it's probably just me being lazy. I haven't revisited the problem since, but perhaps it's time to do it now.

Any plans to officially make the jump to grub2 in Gentoo? For the LiveDVD perhaps?
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating, migrating and removing grub 0.9 now ...
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy I'm able to test using qemu, otherwise I'd be screwed by now. Many times over! =)

Seems to be working now, I think I'll try a reboot.
floppymaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use the grub-mkconfig script; you can write grub.cfg manually if you wish.

There are some grub-1.99 ebuilds in overlays if you look for them. scarabeus in particular has a rather robust version.

As well I think funtoo has done some work on making a grub2 a better experience
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floppymaster wrote:
You don't have to use the grub-mkconfig script; you can write grub.cfg manually if you wish.
There are some grub-1.99 ebuilds in overlays if you look for them. scarabeus in particular has a rather robust version.
As well I think funtoo has done some work on making a grub2 a better experience

Funny you mentioned scarabeus, I was actually using his overlay yesterday with 1.99. Sadly it didn't work, it couldn't find the drives, so I reverted back to 1.99_rc1, and that got it working.
I added a comment in scarabeus grub 2 version-bump bug about it as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: