ebuild scripts and rebuilding ebuilds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: ebuild scripts and rebuilding ebuilds Reply with quote

This is probably and obvious thing to some of you pros but I need help.

I want to know where the ebuild scripts for a particular package are located in the Gentoo system. My understanding is that they script is packaged along with the package, but I cant find them or I am so tired that I just keep missing it.

This is what I want to accomplish. There is a package I would like to install on my system but when I do the emerge --pretend option to find out all the dependencies it spews out a ton of things that I KNOW are not needed for compiling or using the package. Yes, I could just download the tarball myself and install but I like the idea of using portage to also remove the package should I decide to not keep it. I am hoping that I can tweak the ebuild script to take out the unneeded dependency and then compile.

Then once I have done that I would like to keep the ebuild for myself on my hard drive for use later.

Can any of you fabulous men (and/or ladies) help me?

Thanks in advance
C
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/portage/
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my esteemed colleague's concise reply, may I suggest you peruse the USE variable guide, if you have not done so already? I strongly suspect judicious use of USE flags may allow you to achieve your goal without resorting to ebuild surgery.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check out the USE variable again but I think I have tried that before and it still required the unwanted dependency.

As far as the /usr/portage..I still dont know where the script is are the scripts kept seperate from the package? I checked the profiles dir, files dir and I looked in the directory for the package I didnt see it....what am I missing?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be more specific. What package are you talking about, and what don't you want it to drag in?
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the scripts are stored in directories for their category. (like net-p2p etc) and from there, the name of the app. the output from emerge -p should show you the category as well as the package name. so you can pretty much just tack /usr/portage before the dependency name and thats where its located. theres really nothing in gentto that could be considered a "package" per se. the ebuild scripts tell portage where to get the source code, which it then stores in /tmp/portage i believe.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scripts are ebuild and eclass files. You will find them, e.g, like in:
Code:

/usr/portage/sys-apps/bash/bash-2.05a-r2.ebuild

Obviously, this contains information needed to build and install from the source tarball. Makefiles that are part of compilation are typically (sic) built as part of a ./configure step that are invoked from the ebuild.

Chickpea wrote:
I will check out the USE variable again but I think I have tried that before and it still required the unwanted dependency.

As far as the /usr/portage..I still dont know where the script is are the scripts kept seperate from the package? I checked the profiles dir, files dir and I looked in the directory for the package I didnt see it....what am I missing?
daos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you edit the USE flag (in /etc/make.conf) like this: USE="-X -gtk -gnome",
it's still looking for the rest of the USE flags in this file /ect/make.profile/make.defaults.
In the above USE statement, ony X, gtk, gnome is OFF, the rest is still ON.
In order to get rid of all USE flags and add only flags that you want, you need to make the USE statement like this:
USE="-* qt"
In this case. only USE flag on is "qt", the rest is off (by using -*)
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay what a mormon I am. I got some rest and suddenly it made sense to me. Sometimes you just need to step away. I confused myself because I was thinking that the ebuild file had the source package in it. I now know that the ebuild file IS the actual script and the source package is somewhere out yonder....wherever that may be.

I was also mistaken regarding the USE flag. I FINALLY got Xfce installed. I didnt want to install Qt and Arts because I dont want to use KDE...at least not today. There just isnt enough space on my bitty hard drive to put that on here and use the apps. I really only want Konqueror and KDM but I figure you probably have to have all of KDE installed....so for now Xfce it is.

I thank you all for the help. Sorry to be so pitifully stupid. It now makes sense after getting some sleep.
(':oops:')
Chickpea
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: