View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Gnome terminal text corruption Reply with quote

Has anyone else found that the current Gnome terminal corrupts text?
This is on a 2.38 kernel, and the effect is as if lines of text are overwritten
with a few pixels offset. It doesn't appear over the whole terminal, just
in bands that come and go.

Thanks for any ideas - Will
khumba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the same problem. It started as soon as I upgraded to 2.6.38. Selecting the corrupted lines fixes the corruption until they are unselected, and when e.g. less'ing through a file, it will appear consistently at specific points in the file, but not at all if the file is scrolled one line in either direction. Happens whether compositing is in use or not. Very annoying -- I haven't seen the problem in urxvt or Konsole. The problem happened with both stable =x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.14.0 and ~x86 =x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.15.0-r1.

Sorry to say, I don't have any clue as to the origin of the problem (I was in the process of switching to KDE) but I would like to see this solved. The problem occurred on a x86 stable box, which is now amd64 stable, so I'm reemerging gnome-terminal to see if I can reproduce it. Will report more if so.
khumba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the bug is known, at least:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=616392
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=604680

To me it looks like the same type of corruption as in this bug's reference. Are you running an Intel GPU? I haven't tried anything with kernel 2.6.39 yet...
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khumba wrote:
It appears the bug is known, at least:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=616392
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=604680

To me it looks like the same type of corruption as in this bug's reference. Are you running an Intel GPU? I haven't tried anything with kernel 2.6.39 yet...

Yup, Intel on-board, 915(?). Thanks for the references - I'll keep an eye on them.

Will
khumba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an i915 as well (yay netbook). I just wanted to report that I was able to reproduce the problem, and upgrading to 2.6.39-r4 while keeping with the stable xf86-video-intel-2.14.0 appears to have solved the issue for me :).

Cheers!
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem, but only under 64-bit, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it across kernel and Xorg revisions. I'm guessing the nvidia driver is involved.

Most commands run in gnome-terminal return to the prompt seemingly with no output. But upon pressing return, the output magically appears. It's as if the first time round the terminal forgets the redraw.

I have a similar problem with firefox. Scrolling a web page up or down, very often a small strip of the previous page appears at the top or the bottom of the browser window, depending on the scrolling direction. I tried to take a screenshot, but the corruption disappears as soon as the mouse is moved away from the browser.

So I have two cases, probably related, of redraw failure, but I don't think it's related to the OP's problem.
khumba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Princess Nell,

Can you get a screenshot by running in a terminal:
Code:
sleep 60; import -window root foo.png

to wait a minute while you trigger the corruption, then take a screenshot using ImageMagick's import program?
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khumba, this method didn't work for me, the resulting image is free of corruption. So I took a picture of the screen and uploaded it here: http://derp.co.uk/09dbe.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: