View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan The Viking
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Sandy Bridge X lockup Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is an odd one for me, typically the forums and some creative thinking fix my issues, but for a change, I have to ask for some guidance!

I have a Sandy Bridge H67 based board with a i7-2600 processor. I've been using the onboard video as a stop-gap until I can pony up some cash for a "real" video card.

My symptom : X freezes the whole system almost instantly after gdm loads, or when I open fluxbox using startx from a terminal, EXCEPT for when I use 2.6.37 for a kernel. I just tried 3.0-RC4 since I saw a ton of fixes on the changelog, but the symptoms are the same as the kernels between them.

Here is what is installed :
Code:

[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.26  USE="libkms -static-libs" VIDEO_CARDS="intel -nouveau -radeon -vmware"
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/mesa-7.10.3  USE="classic gallium motif nptl -debug -gles -hardened -llvm -pic (-selinux)" VIDEO_CARDS="intel -mach64 -mga -nouveau -r128 -radeon -savage -sis -tdfx -via -vmware"
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.15.0-r1  USE="dri"
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.10.2  USE="ipv6 kdrive nptl udev xorg -dmx -doc -minimal -static-libs -tslib -xnest -xvfb"

Any insight would be appreciated.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the system totally freeze or can you still access it via ssh?
Try booting with i915.semaphore=1 kernel parameter.
Ivan The Viking
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system becomes so frozen the software based reset switch on it doesn't work. SSH obviously is a lost cause, as is the hope for any log file to get written, that's what is making this difficult.

I had tried i915.semaphores=0 in the past, that didn't help. I never tried setting it to one, as I thought that would be the default, but forcing the driver to use semaphores now makes the screen screw up when it freezes. A quick running strip of nonsense appears on the left of my monitor.

I had read somewhere via a google search that that was *the* big change going to 2.6.38 and newer.

I using the DVI out, not the VGA if that matters, and I may try swapping them to see if that changes anything. I'm doubtful it will, but at this point I'll try anything.

Thanks for the help!
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can setup a network console to capture some of the things that the kernel outputs before the system freezes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: