View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djscribble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: conky problems Reply with quote

Greetings,

I use fluxbox and run rox on top, and now i am trying to figure out how to get conky to run ontop of rox. Every time i start conky i get the following:

Code:
Conky: drawing to subwindow of root window (400442)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
Conky: forked to background, pid is 26376

and then conky never shows. when i give conky its own window, i get the fluxbox background and not the rox background PLUS it covers the icons.

Basically i am trying to get conky to be on the layer under the rox icons but above the rox desktop -- any ideas??

thanks!
gilzar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm having the same problem. The is this other thread, where the guy said that disabling double buffer would do the trick. Didn't work for me.
Anyway, I set own_window and own_window_transparent to yes and I got conky on top of rox and it's covering only the area where there's some conky data. The only problem is that the background isn't transparent, it's black.

Edit: Ok, I got it transparent, kind of. I used fbsetbg to put the same background for fluxbox. The pictures don't macht so, it looks stupid.

There has to be better solution...
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: conky problems Reply with quote

djscribble wrote:
Greetings,

I use fluxbox and run rox on top, and now i am trying to figure out how to get conky to run ontop of rox. Every time i start conky i get the following:

Code:
Conky: drawing to subwindow of root window (400442)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
Conky: forked to background, pid is 26376

and then conky never shows. when i give conky its own window, i get the fluxbox background and not the rox background PLUS it covers the icons.

Basically i am trying to get conky to be on the layer under the rox icons but above the rox desktop -- any ideas??

thanks!

Conky uses psuedotransparency.
The best solution would be to use Composite (or XGL/etc/etc) or something with real transparency.

Psuedotransparency can't show intermediate object between your wallpaper and the window.. it's how it works (Calculate where it is, what part of the background is it, etc)

I'm no expert.. So correct me if I'm wrong. :?
djscribble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know how much system resources xcompmgr is??. I ask because i am running everything on an older laptop that is fully upgraded but still only has 512 of ram and a 933 mhz processor.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say try it! For me, it barely take any resources.. but if you play any OpenGL games it may screw them up if it is on at the same time.. :(
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a serious problem, I wouldn't be too concerned as to how much overhead a program has it you have your cflags set up right and USE flags. That is a slow proccessor, but unless you are doing something like emerge -ud world, I think you should be OK, but again, just got to watch how much else you have going.

Maybe you should get your average, non-active CPU % (don't ask me how, have to find out from someone else), and then figure how much you have to spare. I havn't seen many programs that are bg jobs that cost that much overhead, anyways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: