net config during gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maadiah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: net config during gentoo install Reply with quote

Hi,I'am a newbie.
I used livecd to install gentoo,it can identify my wireless net card,there is a 'waln0';but it cannot identify my ethernet card,there were no eth0,1,..
1. my laptop is Acer 4740G,i use "ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net",but which driver module should i choose(realtek?i'am not sure)?
2. I connect to WLAN like this :connect to the named WLAN,for example ChinaNet,then use the browser open any web page,it jumps to a login page,then enter my username and passwd ,finish.My question is :how can i use this WLAN but a WLAN just having essid and wep to install gentoo if ethernet can't work.
thanks!
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best recommendation is just use a different livecd to install gentoo - you don't have to be booted with the gentoo one, assuming you download the initial files as you install them. Disk partitioning and formatting should work fine from most livecd's out there.

Find one that supports your NIC and you'll an easy time installing - when it comes to the point of getting your first gentoo kernel working, you can check what module your livecd is using and locate the same one in the kernel config.
Maadiah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NIC is Broadcom BCM57780,which livecd should i choose?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some looking and it seems the problem might be that certain kernels have a bug in the initialization order for that driver.

You can try (eg, on the gentoo livecd, or another) to remove the tg3 and broadcom modules and then re-load them with the broadcom module first:

rmmod broadcom
rmmod tg3
modprobe broadcom
modprobe tg3

If the broadcom module doesn't exist on the livecd (you get an error on the third command), that could be the problem. Apparently some tg3 supported chips don't need the broadcom module but some do.
Maadiah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it! it works ,really thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: