layman hang on initial load of overlay [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: layman hang on initial load of overlay [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,
I am doing a new install on a machine and I emerged layman 1.4.1 and then went on to add the gnome overlay.

I am only getting a speed of 3 KiB initially. Eventually its seem to hang on 85% first. I cancelled it, rebooted the machine and tried again. This time it stopped on 79%, still with the same slow speed. Took more than 1 hour just to get to that stage.

Anything wrong on the servers? Does the overlays have mirrors I can select? Any other tricks to speed it up? This was just now (in UK), typing this from another gentoo box.

Mons

Last edited by monsm on Fri May 13, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had anything hosted on gentoo.org fail/timeout from time to time. It usually goes thru next time without problem but never just plain slow like that.

What kind of firewall settings do you have, maybe they are interfering, causing the slowdown...

Just for some background, I do know that gentoo servers are subject to DDOS attacks occasionally, these forums being one in particular.
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
I've had anything hosted on gentoo.org fail/timeout from time to time. It usually goes thru next time without problem but never just plain slow like that.

What kind of firewall settings do you have, maybe they are interfering, causing the slowdown...

Just for some background, I do know that gentoo servers are subject to DDOS attacks occasionally, these forums being one in particular.

Dumped the gnome overlay from my machine and tried to add it again this morning. Went through like a breeze then. So just a hick-up of some sort I guess. Hopefully none of that DDOS attack nonsense..

Mons
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: