Package descriptions and change logs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Package descriptions and change logs Reply with quote

Maybe I just missed this along the way, and sorry if it's been answered before, but is there somewhere that one can see a description of a package before emerging it, and/or a changelog for version changes?

I would be much more comfy pulling in dependent packages if I knew what they were (or not have to go to Google, or RedHat).

Same with upgrades. Why should I upgrade all these things? What's my motivation Mr. DeMille? I just had to go through 18 /etc files for an --update system. No biggie, but I would like to be able to know when it's worth it to go through the trouble...

TIA!

Mikki
:?
quadbox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Package descriptions and change logs Reply with quote

mikki wrote:
Maybe I just missed this along the way, and sorry if it's been answered before, but is there somewhere that one can see a description of a package before emerging it, and/or a changelog for version changes?

I would be much more comfy pulling in dependent packages if I knew what they were (or not have to go to Google, or RedHat).

Same with upgrades. Why should I upgrade all these things? What's my motivation Mr. DeMille? I just had to go through 18 /etc files for an --update system. No biggie, but I would like to be able to know when it's worth it to go through the trouble...

TIA!

Mikki
:?

You can get a description of a package two ways : $qpkg -i foo, or $emerge -s foo. Emerge -s, lists the version installed, and the latest version.

As to updates, Most people (in my view, at least) run gentoo because they want a bleeding edge system. If this doesn't sound like you, then only update when you want to.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Package descriptions and change logs Reply with quote

mikki wrote:
a changelog for version changes?

There should be a ChangeLog file in the same directory as the ebuild itself somewhere underneath /usr/portage.
mikki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the ChangeLogs look pretty complete, just what I was looking for, and they look like they are available before the emerge.

As far as the emerge -s goes, the descriptions there are pretty weak. Fine for just a tickler, but not if it is an unfamiliar package.

Quote:
As to updates, Most people (in my view, at least) run gentoo because they want a bleeding edge system. If this doesn't sound like you, then only update when you want to.

Well, there are at least two other advantages, control over what goes into your system, and a high level of customization/system-specificity.

For the former, knowing the details of each package going in is pretty key, IMO. Now, I can guess most of them from context or experience, but I'm not up to date on every single one, so when something shows up on a dependency list, I'd like to know a bit more about it than a one-liner from emerge -s. OK, so I could read the code, I suppose :o , but I was hoping for something in between.

Perhaps a README that is maintained alongside ChangeLog, and rsynced to /usr/portage in the same way. More work for the package maintainers, but my guess is that 90% of them already have one anyway...

But that's just me, I could be wrong...

Mikki
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikki wrote:
I'd like to know a bit more about it than a one-liner from emerge -s.

Most ebuilds have something useful in the HOMEPAGE variable, and if you're lazy (like me), perhaps you will enjoy this little one-liner:
Code:
#! /bin/sh
qpkg -nc -i $1 | perl -e 'while(<>) { /\[\s*(\S+)\s*\]/ and ++$urls{$1} } print map { "$_\n" } keys %urls'

...which, when given a package name, will spit out some URLs suitable for pasting into your favorite browser, backticking and feeding to lynx, etc.
mikki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, rac. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: