Compile this and compile that
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Compile this and compile that Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a quick question: Do you actually use your Gentoo boxes in production? Or just everyday? My point (And why I havent been able to use Gentoo on mymain Desktop yet):

Compile. I really hate to spend so much compile time. Sure I could compile over night, but often the compilation fails for some little reason, leaving the Box unusable the next day :(

I know that for some ppl the compiling and stuff is what makes Gentoo so great, but for me its the Forum and portage that makes Gentoo great. and I really really miss precompiled packages. If I wanna update XFree og KDE I wanna update it now...not spend 2 days compiling the sucker :) - Leaving my Box unusable in that timeperiod.

How do you guys handle this problem? Surely you have som issues like this as well??

Thx,
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really bother me. On a 2.6 kernel, it's quite possible to leave a compile going in the background and hardly notice it's running. The biggest packages I ever need to compile are X and Firebird, neither of which takes more than a couple of hours (I've never timed them so I don't know exactly). I suppose if you're using KDE it may take slightly longer (:)), but I don't use it.
akvik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, the 2.6 kernel is GREAT in resource handling. Have been working in openoffice the whole day with KDE compiling in the background. 8)
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too much of a paranoid to try out kernel-2.6 yet :/ Should probably sooner or later since I hear about quite a few improvements. Just not ready to burst a production workstation because school requires a lot of typed papers and I dont have a backup.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have my Desktop and my laptop to work with - and I use both - distcc helps with the compile times though.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do office stuff it's fine to compile in the background, it doesn't disturb then. But if you have to do work which uses much cpu time (for example a lot of heavy benchmarking like I have to do from time to time etc.) Gentoo is IMO inappropriate.
jeffbuttars
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: play nice Reply with quote

When I want utilize my CPUs for something else while emerging I just nice it and it works great.

nice emerge something

This will cause emerge to run with a lower priority and surrender the CPU to most other tasks.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea with that nice. I suppose that would work great when you don't have a network available to load the compilation onto (distcc!!).
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo on my own desktop but to avoid having to compile and the problems that come along with this I use Debian on any production systems.
jeffbuttars
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that staying within the stable package branch helps things to compile with far less problems than the unstable branch. So compile and leave works most( 90%+) of the time.
Usually when I update I'm at the machine so I've aliased emerge to nice emerge so that it always poses the least amount of interference with my current work. I also must admit I built the machine to run Gentoo and opted for an SMP system. If this is ever an option for you take it, makes a huge difference while emerging. Things emerge faster as well as having plenty of CPU to go around for other processes.
Another thing I like do is ssh into my home machine when I'm at school or work and emerge while I'm not home yet I can still monitor it for problems.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Slot-A Athlon 600MHz, so I don't emerge huge apps all the time. I only emerge them when I think I'll really benefit from it, not just because its available. I try to emerge them Sunday night, so they have the night and most of the day monday to crunch (minimizing the amount of time I'm using a system while emerging). Medium sized apps I'll emerge overnight.

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also use gentoo on my main desktop. And I compile everyday I let it compile packages in background and I do normal work.I can compile and even play ut2003 with high resolution and with many processes started like gnome-session does.
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compiling time is one thing: once you have compiled the most important things, lika xfree, gnome and openoffice you can use gentoo as a desktop, even if you are compiling while surfing the net or writing in OO.
(that is, of course, if you have configured your kernel right) :-)

I have my box running 24/7 - not as a server, but as a desktop. I do my heaviest compiling during days (when I'm sleeping in school) and nights (errhh...when I sleep...) - but when I come home, everything is (usually) complete, and I can play ET or whatsoever :-)
Oopsz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just su screen nice emerge on my server, then ^A^D and check it next time i'm online, along with any service restarts.. not had any problems.
Moled
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/make.conf wrote:
# PORTAGE_NICENESS provides a default increment to emerge's niceness level.
PORTAGE_NICENESS=19

man nice wrote:
ADJUST is 10 by default. Range goes from -20 (highest prior-
ity) to 19 (lowest).

change that setting to something higher, eg 19 then all other processes will have priority over it. thus making your box usable whilst emerging
TPC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...
I don't think I have the latest version of make.conf
I guess I messed up an etc-update :?

what do I need to re-emerge to get the latest version?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge portage
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip, if you use -03 compiler flag, don't. I just reinstalled and decided I'd rather have 3% more stability than 3% more speed (if any) and BOY did it compile MUCH faster!! It took less than 3 hours to bootstrap and emerge system. I let my computer emerge xfree86, xfce4, latex, kile, xmms, krusader, xchat, gaim before I went to bed and *cough* 10 *cough* hours later it was finished for I don't know how long...

I will never go back to -03, it's just not worth it.

Yeah, and using nice is great, I do it all the time. I'm on a 2.4.22 kernel and I compile in the background on a 1250mhz athlon-xp with 512mb ram.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: