Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 has landed! Was: E17 is coming? (Part 7)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I sync layman and the X in "Running... # /usr/bin/svn up /var/lib/layman/enlightenment
At revision X." is the same as when I previously updated, does that mean there's nothing new since my last sync?
Now it's time for the harvest
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. There has been no updates since 3-4 months.
nost4r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not update since 3-4 months ? 8O Omg...

Well, I try to install some e_modules but I get for all packages e_modules or dev-libs/eina or embryo and all other, an error : automake failed at the begining for all package !

I made layman -S but not change .
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nost4r wrote:
Not update since 3-4 months ? 8O Omg...

Well, I try to install some e_modules but I get for all packages e_modules or dev-libs/eina or embryo and all other, an error : automake failed at the begining for all package !

I made layman -S but not change .
Although they have it, they have to be emerged with "-doc" USE flag. The ebuilds are in a weird state, it seems...
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the tips given along several posts in the forum to get E17 running. Now I think E17 is far from being rock solid as some like to say. Alas I might be the only one who have a buggy E17? I don't think so, or maybe I tried a few pre-release on svn? this might be something to take acount into...

Anyway, after several hours trying to get something usable, and I did get something usable, a few bugs are irritating. First of is the 'gadget' cpufreq which is causing my desktop cpu to be at the lowest P-state all the time. And it is the opposite on my laptop, the cpu runs at the highest speed... which make that tiny noisy fan to run at full speed all the time.

If only it was just that but... there come the keyboard layout bug which prevent from selecting a layout in X or getting a messed keyboard. Now the only documented solution is to put two InputClass with the right layout with something like
Quote:
Option "XkbLayout" "es,us"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

or two InputDevice if one do not use udev in xorg.conf, and the trick work pretty well. You'll be greeted with the right--first layout--as the default layout. However, I cannot change the layout or get a buggy keyboard. Is this really teh only solution? it seems like it.

I'm not finished yet, there're way too many bugs to list in this post. There are several post on engage bar, but I have only a buggy one which occupy a large part of the screen. Actually a black window or something similar just eat a good part of the screen. I googled it only to find nothing. It seems, once again, I'm the only one with it? And then come the volume control or rather the 'gadget' mixer which mix nor control anything.

I'll stop there as I only tried to get something usable, nothing fancy. To finish, I merged something a few days with revision 61082. I tried afterward to merge a few thing like editje a few days after that. And a few updates went live, and then the elementary dependency kicked in which required an updated evas that caused the whole efl base library to be update because of a few newer symbols. I just tried that which ended up in a unstable E17. Hopefully I have my base system directories squashed, so I just had to rm the newly created file the writable branch to get my 'stable' merged E17 back. I tried again today only to fail to compile ecore with something related to evas again. I'll leave it for now and will think for a possible update if I can get a base E17 working.

An input is welcomed for those irritating bugs.

To end up this post with a positive line, E17 is really fast and highly customizable. I'd like to get something usable or I might try lxde as an alternative/second DE to gnome-2.3.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
Hi, thanks for the tips given along several posts in the forum to get E17 running. Now I think E17 is far from being rock solid as some like to say. Alas I might be the only one who have a buggy E17? I don't think so, or maybe I tried a few pre-release on svn? this might be something to take acount into...
It will be nice to document all these bugs that you have got. Simply open tickets at http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/report
Quote:
Anyway, after several hours trying to get something usable, and I did get something usable, a few bugs are irritating. First of is the 'gadget' cpufreq which is causing my desktop cpu to be at the lowest P-state all the time. And it is the opposite on my laptop, the cpu runs at the highest speed... which make that tiny noisy fan to run at full speed all the time.
Can't help here. I have never used the cpufreq gadget except to set it to "Automatic". All my cpufreq stuff is controlled by laptop-mode-tools.
Only occasionally, I used it to temporarily put the power settings to max power. And later I set it back to automatic and it has always done the limited amount of what i wanted from it.
Quote:
If only it was just that but... there come the keyboard layout bug which prevent from selecting a layout in X or getting a messed keyboard. Now the only documented solution is to put two InputClass with the right layout with something like
Quote:
Option "XkbLayout" "es,us"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

or two InputDevice if one do not use udev in xorg.conf, and the trick work pretty well. You'll be greeted with the right--first layout--as the default layout. However, I cannot change the layout or get a buggy keyboard. Is this really teh only solution? it seems like it.
It is being worked on I guess. See the release plan:
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Release
To set keyboard layout on the fly you can also use setxkbmap: setxkbmap -layout <layout>
Quote:
I'm not finished yet, there're way too many bugs to list in this post. There are several post on engage bar, but I have only a buggy one which occupy a large part of the screen. Actually a black window or something similar just eat a good part of the screen. I googled it only to find nothing.
You probably turned on ARGB settings while fiddling around the settings dialog, or maybe you enabled composite at some point and then disabled it later. The ARGB setting is not enabled by default. It is under Settings -> Advanced -> Engine
Quote:
It seems, once again, I'm the only one with it? And then come the volume control or rather the 'gadget' mixer which mix nor control anything.
Mixer works. Only with alsa. Doesn't support pulseaudio yet (supporting pulse is on the Todo, see link above). Using it everyday here.
Quote:
I'll stop there as I only tried to get something usable, nothing fancy. To finish, I merged something a few days with revision 61082. I tried afterward to merge a few thing like editje a few days after that. And a few updates went live, and then the elementary dependency kicked in which required an updated evas that caused the whole efl base library to be update because of a few newer symbols. I just tried that which ended up in a unstable E17. Hopefully I have my base system directories squashed, so I just had to rm the newly created file the writable branch to get my 'stable' merged E17 back. I tried again today only to fail to compile ecore with something related to evas again. I'll leave it for now and will think for a possible update if I can get a base E17 working.

An input is welcomed for those irritating bugs.

To end up this post with a positive line, E17 is really fast and highly customizable. I'd like to get something usable or I might try lxde as an alternative/second DE to gnome-2.3.
Quite unusually, the svn was broken for a day or two this weekend. First time I have seen it in this state in years. Try an earlier revision. The stable and working revision I have is from 5 days ago: 61012. To checkout and install only specific revisions, export the revision first and then emerge the whole efl+e stack
Code:
export ESVN_REVISION=<revision number>
for i in eina eet ....; do
   emerge $i
done

tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Sound/cpu Reply with quote

I do not use cpufreq gadget to set any policy to the cpu, I wanted it to only give me feedback of the cpu state. So I've tried to set it to automatic after noticing the issue, as it did not do anything and then tried to set it to maximum when need be and... the P-state was stuck all the time. So I've just decided to go take a look on `/sys/devices/cpu/cpu*/*' to check if the cpu was stuck on the lowest P-state when compilinbg glibc and indeed it was for each core. Now I disabled the cpufreq gadget alltogether. And anyway, I have a few power profiles with hprofile that permit me to fine tune the power management settings toggling the necessary /sys files instead using daemons like cpufreqd.

And yes, I use ALSA at the moment as I'm testing a few applications that runs only on ALSA/JACK. Otheriwse, if I get what you're saying, there's noway to make that gadget work with OSS[4]? Anyway, it does not work with alsa. I've tried to see if there's any option to select the sound card or alsa mixer but there's none. Disabled this gadget as well.

UPDATE: I've reloaded the mixer gadget after unloading it for a while. Now I have indeed a real mixer and settings panel which list my sound cards and the related channels. My CMI8788 analog channels are not listed which is not a big deal since they do not work with neither ALSA nor OSS4. However, even if the mixer channels seems alright, only the mute work on digital outputs. I suspect there's an issue as optical outputs are not listed on the available channels for HDA-intel nor CMI8788 in the mixer. And the volume of the master does not do anything,--which works on gnome-2.3,--only mute work for HDA (optical output).

And yes, I turned on ARGB although I don't remember what advantages/disadvantages it gives, I don't remember where I read something on the forums.

I may try merging 61012 later, mine--61082--is not far from your working one. I'll see what changed between those two before merging. Thanks for your help ppurka!

EDIT: darn, my keyboard is messed again... I have to logo out/in again to be able to write anything.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The svn is fixed now.

The ARGB option is auto-enabled with composite module. Ideally just leave it alone and don't enable or disable it. It is supposed to be used only with a composited desktop.

The mixer gadget has a settings dialog (on right click) and you can set which channel you want to control. If you hae more than one soundcard then it shows up in the mixer settings available on left click.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I managed to merge revision 61216 today or was it yesterday? Everything went fine or it looks like it.
Well, I had the possibility to merge the whole thing after restoring my system with stage4 which was necessary because of a supposedly fixed bug in glibc-2.13-r3. I ran into a few stability issues and found out that it was glibc-2.13-r3 that was causing them. I recompiled with a so called 'combined patch' by Klees C. only to fix the bug with LibreOffice and ran into the same bug with audacious-2.5.2 just after merging the newly built libraries.
Well, no choice was left but trying two other patches which I did not want to play with.

So I restored my system with glibc-2.13-r2 and re-merged the whole enlightenment-live meta package with a few others updates that were laying around. editje compiled fine with elementary. I wished editje to be more power-user friendly than a constrained GUI applications. It'll be much faster to edje_decc and edit the files with GIMP/vim and compile it again than wasting your time with... then the possibility to see previews is lost, surely.

As I restored my whole system I've just copied over my stable built kernels with the tmp files to the new system to avoid recompiling again. And then I noticed the same 'CPU stuck at the lowest P-state' with gnome when compiling that me made me wonder what was going on. Now I don't get anything about it, I'll investigate later if this is really a kernel issue, however everything runned fine a few days ago.

The mixer issue--not mixing nor controlling the volume--is still there. This is not a real issue as I do not use it that often. The issues are a few annoying bug with enlightenment... like:
- a bug that come out when closing a mother (configuration) window while a child window is left: this will cause enlightenment to fail and restart... which pop out the keyboard bug.
- of course, the most annoying is the keyboard bug, I don't know if can use E17 that annoying thing. Hopefully gnome-2.3 is still there.
- enlightenment is a real mess when it come to remember the windows properties of applications. I wasted some times trying to make enlightenment remember as it's fairly annoying to have to resize all the time tiny windows and it's a real mess because sometimes it does only to fail the next time. I had enough with it especially when you have to run your usual 'background' applications each time you login which is needed often with the keyboard bug!

I'll stop listing bugs there as I left E17 for now, I spent too much time on it and I cannot say that I can use it for a long time without having to log out for a keyboard bug. I'll see later if I can improve a thing or two or even report a few bugs on trac.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an update to let some gentooligans knows that, in case they run into the same issues, the xorg.conf workaround for the keyboard layout switch doesn't really work--neither to switch keyboard nor starting E17-WM without running into the keyboard bug. And, it's acually worse when you start E17 with startx with a line like `exec enlightenment_start' in .xinitrc which bring you directly in amessed keyboard layout from the start--I manage to get a working layout with gdm login manager. It seems some people manage to get their keyboard layouts switching with the xorg.conf lines. So one could try it.

Second, I posted a bug on trac for a bug which come out when "Raise windows on mouse over" (Settings/Windows) is enabled and a mother window is closed leaving orphan windows around. I runned into it from the start--since I merged E17--because I enabled it all the time. Now I make sure to not forget an orphan window, which can be easy with that option, before shutting down windows.

And it seems I have a real issue right now which I had falsely attributed to cpufreq module before: my desktop cpu is stuck on the lowest P-state while my laptop cpu is stuck on the highest P-state with pf-sources-2.6.3{8_p8,9_p3} and zen-sources-2.6.38.8 (latest master branch diff of 2011-06-09) with or without zcache patch on .38_p8. I have no clue on this one...
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: elsa works for those who... Reply with quote

Second update: elsa works with the latest live svn, so for those who want to get rid of heavy DE (gnome, kde), now you can go ahead if you can live with the keyboard layout bug!
One step ahead to...
And who need an ebuild?
Quote:
# Copyright 1999-2008 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/x11-terms/enterminus/enterminus-9999.ebuild,v 1.1 2005/09/07 03:52:46 vapier Exp $

ESVN_SUB_PROJECT="PROTO"
inherit enlightenment

DESCRIPTION="Open session with pam with the possibility to chose a WM."

DEPEND=">=dev-libs/ecore-1.0
>=dev-libs/eet-1.4.0
>=dev-libs/eina-1.0
>=media-libs/edje-1.0
>=media-libs/evas-1.0
>=x11-libs/elementary-0.5"
RDEPEND="virtual/pam"

Almost nothing?
nost4r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover, How do you get the revision number ?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nost4r wrote:
tclover, How do you get the revision number ?
1. Enlightenment -> About (the number after the last decimal point).
Code:
cd /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/enlightenment/e
svn info

tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do you mean the version of the installed package[s]?
e.g. code for e17 WM wrote:
`cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/enlightenment.pc|grep Version`
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the HAL dependencies been removed from e17 yet, last time i tried to compile it, it was bitch at me about ehal.

I am interested in using e17, but what packages would i need compiled to view thumbnails of jpegs and movies?
nost4r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you both
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Foo wrote:
Has the HAL dependencies been removed from e17 yet, last time i tried to compile it, it was bitch at me about ehal.

Hi, e17 doesn't depend on HAL anymore, there is one efl package that you need to set to live, but I don't recall which. However there was a thread on that topic either here or in Desktop Environment subforum.
tonberrytoby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E17 refuses to start for me since I updated it today.
Some time ago it started displaying a warning on login that e17 had to fallback to software rendering. I think it was caused by upgrading to kernel 3.0 or to nvidia-drivers 275. Opengl programms still ran fine so I was not worried.

But today e17 refused to start. The xsession-errors ends like thist:
Code:

ESTART: 0.01263 [0.00002] - Ecore_Evas Engine Check
<<<< Enlightenment Error >>>>
Enlightenment found ecore_evas doesn't support the Software X11
rendering in Evas. Please check your installation of Evas and
Ecore and check they support the Software X11 rendering engine.
E17: Begin Shutdown Procedure!

from googling this it looks like it should be caused by a wrong configure option. So I hope you guys can just tell me how I shoud set my useflags to get this problem solved.

My config:
ecore:
Code:

[I] dev-libs/ecore

Installed versions:  9999[1](23:34:56 08/09/11)(X curl evas inotify nls opengl sdl ssl threads xinerama -ares -directfb -doc -fbcon -glib -gnutls -static-libs -test -tslib -xcb -xprint -xscreensaver)

evas:
Code:

[I] media-libs/evas
     Installed versions:  9999[1](22:21:14 08/09/11)(X bmp cache eet fontconfig gif ico jpeg mmx nls png ppm sdl sse svg threads tiff xpm -altivec -bidi -directfb -doc -fbcon -gles -opengl -static-libs -tga -xcb)

From emerge's output:
Code:

Ecore Evas:

Ecore_Evas...................: yes
    Software Memory Buffer.....: yes
    Software X11...............: yes (Xlib=static) (XCB=no)
    OpenGL X11.................: yes (Xlib=static) (XCB=no)
    Software GDI...............: no
    Software DirectDraw........: no
    Direct3D...................: no
    OpenGL Glew................: no
    Software SDL...............: yes
    OpenGL SDL.................: no
    DirectFB...................: no
    Software Framebuffer.......: no
    Software 8bit grayscale XCB: no
    Software 16bit X11.........: no
    Software 16bit DirectDraw..: no
    Software 16bit WinCE.......: no

I already removed my ~/.e directory, and even made a brand new user to test this. It didn't help.
Can someone help me find out what is wrong with my install.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try the following ebuild for evas and see if you can get your e working again (the only changes to the default ebuild is the removal of "static"). I have reported such weird behavior to the gentoo packagers a couple of days ago.
Code:
# Copyright 1999-2011 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI=2

inherit enlightenment

DESCRIPTION="hardware-accelerated retained canvas API"
HOMEPAGE="http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Evas"

IUSE="altivec bidi +bmp +cache directfb +eet fbcon +fontconfig gles gif +ico +jpeg mmx opengl +png +ppm sdl sse svg static-libs tga +threads tiff X xcb xpm"

RDEPEND="
   >=dev-libs/eina-9999
   >=media-libs/freetype-2.3.9
   fontconfig? ( media-libs/fontconfig )
   gles? ( media-libs/mesa[gallium,gles] )
   gif? ( media-libs/giflib )
   jpeg? ( virtual/jpeg )
   png? ( media-libs/libpng )
   bidi? ( >=dev-libs/fribidi-0.19.1 )
   directfb? ( >=dev-libs/DirectFB-0.9.16 )
   sdl? ( media-libs/libsdl )
   tiff? ( media-libs/tiff )
   xpm? ( x11-libs/libXpm )
   X? (
      x11-libs/libX11
      x11-libs/libXext
      x11-libs/libXrender
      opengl? ( virtual/opengl )
   )
   !X? (
      xcb? (
         x11-libs/xcb-util
      ) )
   eet? ( >=dev-libs/eet-9999 )
   svg? (
      >=gnome-base/librsvg-2.14.0
      x11-libs/cairo
      x11-libs/libsvg-cairo
   )"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}"

src_configure() {
   if use X ; then
      if use xcb ; then
         ewarn "You have enabled both 'X' and 'xcb', so we will use"
         ewarn "X as it's considered the most stable for evas"
      fi
      MY_ECONF="
         --disable-software-xcb
         $(use_enable opengl gl-xlib)
      "
   elif use xcb ; then
      MY_ECONF="
         --disable-gl-xlib
         --enable-software-xcb
         $(use_enable opengl gl-xcb)
      "
   else
      MY_ECONF="
         --disable-gl-xlib
         --disable-software-xcb
         --disable-gl-xcb
      "
   fi

MY_ECONF+="
      $(use_enable altivec cpu-altivec)
      $(use_enable bidi fribidi)
      $(use_enable bmp image-loader-bmp)
      $(use_enable bmp image-loader-wbmp)
      $(use_enable cache metric-cache)
      $(use_enable cache word-cache)
      $(use_enable directfb)
      $(use_enable doc)
      $(use_enable eet font-loader-eet)
      $(use_enable eet image-loader-eet)
      $(use_enable fbcon fb)
      $(use_enable fontconfig)
      $(use_enable gles gl-flavor-gles)
      $(use_enable gles gles-variety-sgx)
      $(use_enable gif image-loader-gif)
      $(use_enable ico image-loader-ico)
      $(use_enable jpeg image-loader-jpeg)
      $(use_enable mmx cpu-mmx)
      $(use_enable png image-loader-png)
      $(use_enable ppm image-loader-pmaps)
      $(use_enable sdl software-sdl)
      $(use_enable sse cpu-sse)
      $(use_enable svg image-loader-svg)
      $(use_enable tga image-loader-tga)
      $(use_enable tiff image-loader-tiff)
      $(use_enable threads pthreads)
      $(use_enable threads async-events)
      $(use_enable threads async-preload)
      $(use_enable threads async-render)
      $(use_enable X software-xlib)
      $(use_enable xpm image-loader-xpm)
      --enable-evas-magic-debug \
      --enable-buffer \
      --enable-cpu-c \
      --enable-scale-sample \
      --enable-scale-smooth \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-332 \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-666 \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-232 \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-222 \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-221 \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-121 \
      --enable-convert-8-rgb-111 \
      --enable-convert-16-rgb-565 \
      --enable-convert-16-rgb-555 \
      --enable-convert-16-rgb-444 \
      --enable-convert-16-rgb-rot-0 \
      --enable-convert-16-rgb-rot-270 \
      --enable-convert-16-rgb-rot-90 \
      --enable-convert-24-rgb-888 \
      --enable-convert-24-bgr-888 \
      --enable-convert-32-rgb-8888 \
      --enable-convert-32-rgbx-8888 \
      --enable-convert-32-bgr-8888 \
      --enable-convert-32-bgrx-8888 \
      --enable-convert-32-rgb-rot-0 \
      --enable-convert-32-rgb-rot-270 \
      --enable-convert-32-rgb-rot-90 \
      --disable-image-loader-edb
      --disable-static-software-16
      --disable-software-16-x11"

enlightenment_src_configure
}
If you want the digested file, it is here: http://ompldr.org/vOXR5Yw

Then recompile evas and then ecore. I think you shouldn't need to recompile any other package. By the way, you also seem to have -opengl in your evas. That might be giving you the opengl error too. So do the following:
1. enable opengl to evas, recompile evas and ecore and see if e starts
2. if step 1. doesn't work then keep +opengl USE flag and use the above ebuild and recompile evas and ecore and check if e starts.
3. Report back here telling us which of the above steps worked.
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem as tonberrytoby (with +opengl):

Quote:
ESTART: 0.01263 [0.00002] - Ecore_Evas Engine Check
<<<< Enlightenment Error >>>>
Enlightenment found ecore_evas doesn't support the Software X11
rendering in Evas. Please check your installation of Evas and
Ecore and check they support the Software X11 rendering engine.
E17: Begin Shutdown Procedure!

Fixed with the above modified evas ebuild.

Thanks.
tonberrytoby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had opengl turned off only temporarily, to check if this would activate software. But it didn't.

The new ebuild fixed it for me. Thanks
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't even get off the dime. I tried enlightenment a while back, and would like to give it another go. But it doesn't even think about emerging, at the moment.

I'm working with the enlightenment overlay, and have read the wiki. I don't have the time now to be adventurous, so I'm trying to go with the snapshot. I add the appropriate link into /etc/portage/package.keywords, and when I try to "emerge -ptv enlightenment" it ignores the overlay and tries to emerge the version in the main portage tree. Just for jollies I change the symlink to livecvs, and it'd willing to go for it, but as I said, I want the snapshot. When I try:
Code:
# emerge -atv =x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.999.55225

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.0_beta[hal,libnotify]" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-libs/e_dbus-9999::enlightenment (masked by: missing keyword)
- dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.1::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.0::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)

(dependency required by "x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.999.55225" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "=x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.999.55225" [argument])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

I notice that non-livecvs dev-libs/e_dbus is no longer in the enlightenment overlay and has moved to mainline portage. But when I attempt to add "=dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.1* ~amd64" into a file in package.keywords, I get the same noise, except not it's complaining about e_dbus-1.0.0 and e_dbus-9999 being masked by ~amd64. When I next add "=dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.1* ~amd64" also, it complains about e_dbus-9999 being masked. When I look in the enlightenment-0.16.9999.55255 ebuild I see that it wants something ">=dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.0_beta", though I would have thought that the "*" I put in the "1.0.1*" and "1.0.0*" would have handled that.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, here. Apparently I'm worse with portage than I thought.

EDIT
One thing I realized, and it should probably be added to the wiki... If you want to install a snapshot, you need to add an entry like ">=x11-wm/enlightenment-1.0" to package.mask, because the former DR16 in mainline portage is now called enlightenment-1.0... Still can't get past e_dbus, however.

Another EDIT
Interesting, and the command line:
Code:
# emerge -ptv e_dbus

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ~] dev-libs/e_dbus-1.0.1  USE="libnotify nls udev -bluetooth -connman -doc -ofono -static-libs -test-binaries" 350 kB
[ebuild  N    ~]  dev-libs/ecore-1.0.1  USE="X curl evas glib gnutls inotify nls opengl sdl ssl threads xcb -ares -directfb -doc -fbcon -static-libs -test -tslib -xinerama -xprint -xscreensaver" 883 kB
[ebuild  N    ~]   media-libs/evas-1.0.1  USE="X eet fontconfig gif jpeg mmx nls opengl png sdl sse svg threads tiff xcb xpm (-altivec) -bidi -cache -directfb -doc -fbcon -gles -static-libs" 1,008 kB
[ebuild  N     ]    x11-libs/libsvg-cairo-0.1.6  318 kB
[ebuild  N     ]     media-libs/libsvg-0.1.4-r1  359 kB
[ebuild  N    ~]    dev-libs/eet-1.4.1  USE="gnutls nls ssl threads -debug -doc -examples -static-libs -test" 465 kB
[ebuild  N    ~]     dev-libs/eina-1.0.1  USE="mempool-chained mmx nls sse sse2 threads (-altivec) -debug -default-mempool -doc -mempool-buddy -mempool-fixed-bitmap -mempool-pass-through -static-libs -test" 589 kB

Total: 7 packages (7 new), Size of downloads: 3,968 kB

As a side, I notice that ecore, evas, eet, and eina are only in the layman snapshot as livecvs versions, not snapshot versions.

And I think we have a winner!!!
The enlightenment snapshot is stale. It's looking for e_dbus to have the hal flag, and that's obsolete. In fact the e_dbus-1.0.1 doesn't even offer that flag any more. I would be tempted to make my own copy of the ebuild and remove all traces of hal from it, but it appears to be used directly by enlightenment and not just wanted for use by e_dbus.

Any idea when another snapshot is coming out? The two I see are both dated May 18.

Yet Another EDIT
The portage ebuilds may be dated May 18, but the code is dated December 2010. For a Gentoo system that is kept reasonably up-to-date, this is a non-starter, since HAL is long-gone. There are also no snapshots any later than this.

How badly does the livecvs enlightenment thrash? Am I going to wind up rebuilding everything every time I "emerge --sync && layman -S" and then "emerge -atuvDN world", or is the check-in rate really not that high. I've never used a livecvs package, before.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jarealist, @tonberrytoby: I have reported this as a bug in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378949

@depontius: e17 svn is typically very stable. There shouldn't be much problems on using the live ebuilds.
Some notes:
* Before you re-emerge a live ebuild, backup the previous ones using quickpkg. Later if the new live ebuild is unstable you can quickly revert to a working system by using emerge -K
* When you re-emerge e17 live ebuilds, re-emerge all the libraries in the proper order.
* If this is the first time you are installing the live ebuilds, then follow gentoo-wiki.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you guys (and girls, of course, if any,) had a few issues to update as well... I had to remove the e17 WM quickstart.patch the other week when I updated e17 because that patch wasn't good/valid anymore and everything went fine.

I've just gone through updating e17 yesterday and a few things remain a complete mystery. It seems e_modules-efm* related repos were removed on svn but the ebuilds remain in enlightenment overlay. I went to check if those related repos were there and indeed they weren't. So I was wondering if somebody knows something about it. I did notice that efm was updated recently but I did not follow the whole story so I'm completly in the dark right now. I did not restart e17 yet after that update but many changes already affected many e17 configurations and all.

And did somebody managed to compile elsa-0.0.4? that pkg went through many changes recently it should *work* better than the previously working/tested ones (I remember to have merged 0.0.1 a few weeks ago). just look at the ChangeLog to notice... it looks like, now, elsa should be usable but one has to manage, somehow, to build it in the first place.

I have encountered a few issues and wondered if the only way to submit them was to open a (bug) ticket. I mean, there's a typo error in a Makefile, should I submit a bug for that?

Or the notification gadget/module have a funny behavior--many pop up msg(s) are just stuck on it, as it is integrated on my default shelf, the first times some messages stucked on my shelf for some time I wondered what it was and only noticed later it was notification msg(s)! ans clicking on the related icons remove the pop up msg, then, I checked the settings f the gadget to no avail. I'm only the only one with that thing? And again, I'm reluctant to submit a *bug* for something like that, that I'm not sure to be a bug...

The bug with the temperature modul/gadget... only working with udev backend... but the graphical indicator is stuck on *zero* or the minimal temperature despite being able to report the right temperature with a mouse hover. Am I the only one? A bug again?

Anybody having trouble with the analog clock? here, if the seconds are not checked the clock does not update itself, the clock is just stuck on something forever... Somebody has something similar? a bug again?

And of course, if somebody manage to compile elsa, do not hesitate to post something.
NOTE: I did not manage to compile because gcc complains about an implicit variable declaration (_elsa_gui_cont_fill), then complain about being defined but not used, and then fail to compile (elsa_gui.c) a few line later because, justly, that variable get used/referenced. I couldn't guess why it fails.

SECOND NOTE: i posted in this topic 889918 an overlay with a few ebuilds related to e17, notably, efenniht and detourious with gtk USE flag--which will pull in the gtk2 port in the package--which will ease updates. haven't yet noticed the updates to elementary/efenniht recently? not interested. fine.

EDIT: i forgot another mysterious issue... anybody can change elementary theme? because here only root can. i even copied over /root/.elementary to my $HOME (and run a `chown $user:$user -R .elementary' on it) to check out if it were a config issue but it wasn't, i guess it's something else that i did not notice yet. or does it swap/rename something in `/usr/share/elementry/data/themes'? i don't know, i did not check it out.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@depontius:
I'll add, along with ppurka, despite to have runned into a few annoying issues when I merged e17, "it's rock solid" as some say. However, you could break your stable live svn build when updating in the middle of an important update as observed a few posts above although this did not happen since years. So, go for a live svn right away. So, you could follow ppurka word to build pkg(s) before updating if you don't have them already. And I'd add to make a set like @enlightenemen-live, lets call e_extras, where you put your extras pkgs which require to be rebuild after an updtate and you'll be done with a single `emerge -av @enlightenement-live @e_extras'.

Lucky you, you're on stable arch! You know what? I woke up someday, from a nightmare maybe, and noticed to have forgotten for while, not to say months, that I am running ~arch. I tried to revert it to sable and noticed that ~400 pkg needed to be downgraded and rebuilt--no way, beside my system is very stable aside from a very few breakages... nividia-drivers-275.19 come to mind quickly, glibc-2.13-r3 to name a few.

Aside from that, I noticed when unmasking pkg by keywords you add something like `$catagery/$p* ~amd64' and it should be something like `$category/$p ** ~amd64', notice the space between the $p and '** ~amd64' that might be what was causing you headaches when unmasking packages.

So just unmask the necessary pkgs and merge right away the *-9999.ebuild, as there's nothing--stability wise--that could make you do otherwise and merge old snapshots.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: