TuxonIce nuked Btrfs FS.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colt45
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: TuxonIce nuked Btrfs FS. Reply with quote

Dont know why but it did. Its bad too; nothing Ive found so far will do anything. My fault not having backups. Anyway to recover some of the data? Nothing important on the drive, (hence playing around), but recovering the configuration files will make it that much easier to rebuild.
This is all I get on any drive operation:
Code:

parent transid verify failed on 117866496 wanted 11788 found 11666
Ignoring transid failure
btrfsck: root-tree.c:46: btrfs_find_last_root: Assertion `!(path->slots[0] == 0)' failed.

It does that same thing on the first backup superblock, then the 2nd gives me, "No valid Btrfs found on..."
punloh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I've tried Josef Bacik's recovery utility from https://github.com/josefbacik/btrfs-progs but no luck. I did have a backup of really important stuff but still I'm surprised that it manged to break so badly with all the resilience features built in. Previously I was able to hibernate/resume under high load. Anyway since it is a reproducible problem maybe a bug report should be filed to tuxonice and/or btrfs devs.
m00bie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Me too... Reply with quote

I've had the same issue.
Btrfs was my root filesystem and the corruption happened on my first ever hibernate attempt!

Fooled around with btrfs-find-root and btrfs-restore, only had these tools available in the initramfs shell that I was left in.
I reformatted my 8gb swap to ext4 as a restore target and pulled out the data from each subvolume I had, one at a time.
To get the data off the internal disk I rebooted to a livecd and copied to a USB drive.

Unfortunately the one file I wanted was the one I could not find in any of the recovered data.
(a log of every command I used to build my gentoo)

Oh well, just have to start from scratch.

But I still want to use BTRFS and Hibernate, are there any alternatives to TuxOnIce?
I know btrfs and hibernate work flawlessly in OpenSuSe, I have that installed in a separate subvolume on the same btrfs partition as Gentoo, it's where I build my gentoo from...

I hope someone can explain why this corruption happens and how to ensure it doesn't happen again OR an alternative to TuxOnIce?
Mr. Tao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Can't mount partition since then, hoping that there will be real fsck for btrfs soon.
This is huge disappointment for me, since I moved to btrfs from reiser4 (just because there is no reiser4 for 3.x kernel line). There were crashes with R4 since VFS changes in mainline, but I was always able to recover my files.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't seriously use btrfs without having backups.
MarekSieradzki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Tao wrote:
Same here. Can't mount partition since then, hoping that there will be real fsck for btrfs soon.
This is huge disappointment for me, since I moved to btrfs from reiser4 (just because there is no reiser4 for 3.x kernel line). There were crashes with R4 since VFS changes in mainline, but I was always able to recover my files.

Are you insane?! You use new experimental file system code just because when you used other experimental code you didn't encounter any problems? Btrfs has one big "MAKE BACKUPS" written all over it, you ignored it. "Fsck procedure" they recommend is still talking with btrfs devs because scrub isn't fully functional.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarekSieradzki wrote:
Are you insane?! You use new experimental file system code just because when you used other experimental code you didn't encounter any problems? Btrfs has one big "MAKE BACKUPS" written all over it, you ignored it. "Fsck procedure" they recommend is still talking with btrfs devs because scrub isn't fully functional.
@MarekSieradzki, watch the tone, please. Name calling is against the posting guidelines.

- John
MarekSieradzki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What name calling? That was only a rhetorical figure to show how irresponsible that behavior was.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: