kernel compile errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silente
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: kernel compile errors Reply with quote

Hello,
Iwas running the gentoo instalation, and everything was going smoothly untill it was time to compile the kernel, I configured the kernel with menuconfig then typed "make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install" and I recieved errors. i checked and there was no bzImage in the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/ directory. I ran a make dep command by itself and that seemed to run fine but gave me no image. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem or could help me solve it. I run an athlon 900 with 352 megs of ram and my boot partition is an ide 7 gig western digital drive set as the secondary slave on an iwill kk266 mother board (via chipset driven). I believe that part of the problem could be due to my config file. in menuconfig when it asks me to save to a file i just type config. is there a specific file name that I should use?

thank you in advance
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I made the same mistake once when using menuconfig for the first time. You are bailing out and it is asking you if you want to save the configuration, you need to exit gracefully and it will build the config correctly (with the default name and such) then you should be able to resume with the make . . .

Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Should then work fine with no errors.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'make dep' only figures out dependency information; it doesn't actually build anything of direct use to you. You shouldn't have to specify a filename when you quit menuconfig; it will use '.config' (note leading dot) as its default, which is in most cases what you want. Please try running each stage of the make separately (i.e. 'make bzImage', then 'make modules', etc), proceeding to the next stage only if the previous stage completed without error. When you notice an error, if you can't figure out what is causing it, please post the exact error and, chances are, some part of the many-eyeballed forum monster will help you.
silente
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: worked! Reply with quote

thank you for the help that worked very well. I exited menuconfig without saving and said yes when it asked me to save and it saved to the default .config file.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked for you, I made that very same mistake.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: