Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
freezing parts of portage, relaying to /opt?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: freezing parts of portage, relaying to /opt? Reply with quote

I was just wondering, since the support of GNOME-2 is soon to end and KDE-3.5.x is already "dead" (except for Trinity), how much trouble it would be to "freeze" the current state of such things?

I'm not using either, but my wife is and she can live with the bugs available, but can't do her work with the all new versions. So I thought about finding all needed deps to build ie GNOME 2.32, rewriting/patching it where needed to store it under ie /opt/gnome-2.32.

Since these are full-featured DEs, there's not much - at least for her - she's needing which need to be always up2date and thus relying on newer libs.

I know, this is a very windows-sy/osx-sy approach, but it's still better than being forced to use shitty applications/environments.

So, I'm wondering, has anyone already done such a thing, is there a feature in portage I don't know about and which could help here or are there portage-devs interested in such a thing? To make it clear, I'm not asking for further maintainance, just a proper way to keep the status quo.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propably impossible, you can freeze the tree, but it will be hard to just freeze a DM.
Soon or later you'll get a "dbus is blocking udev-x-x" and if dbus is a need by the DM, you're dead. You might then block that newer udev version to keep the one that agree to live with dbus, but you'll just see you're on the way to have a total frozen tree.
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can exclude certain parts of the portage tree from the emerge --sync rsync operation.

look up the use of PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS in portage(5) and make.conf(5)

in your case it would be smth along the lines PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude=/gnome-base --exclude=/gnome-extra"
Plus a few masks for some other libs
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE 3.5 is still in kde-sunset overlay; I'm sure there will be a gnome-sunset once GNOME2 gets punted.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2.5 years ago I installed kde-3.5.10 on my wife's lappy.
At the time kde4 made it's entrance.
I didn't want her to have all kinds of troubles with it.
From time to time I make complete backups of her system and /home.
It's still running w/o problem and my wife is quite content.
Of course if she ever needs something new I'll be in trouble because I never synced.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Propably impossible, you can freeze the tree, but it will be hard to just freeze a DM.
Soon or later you'll get a "dbus is blocking udev-x-x" and if dbus is a need by the DM, you're dead. You might then block that newer udev version to keep the one that agree to live with dbus, but you'll just see you're on the way to have a total frozen tree.
Valid point, but what about running - if needed - two instances of udev in parallel, ie udevd and udevd_old and somehow patch the packages to communicate under another namespace this old udev provides?

Is udev even needed that much? The only thing I know it does is taking care of automounting - which she uses - but which could probably be replaced by another method.

Her problem in general is, she's not a techy person and doesn't see the "great thing", ie doesn't know about or doesn't like drag'n'drop for example. For fun, I transfered her desktop to a virtual machine yesterday and updated it to GNOME-3 (Fedora Box) and she acts like a toddler, not finding anything.

I'm a little pissed that devs throw away working code and replacing it without thinking about people used to it. I mean, the intent to make it easier for noobs is good and dandy, but only for new noobs, not for once used to accomplish a given task in a trained way. But then again, that may be one of the problems why Linux isn't desktop-ready for this group of people - might as well just give her my Macbook :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: