Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
codafs? Or alternatives for keeping files in sync?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: codafs? Or alternatives for keeping files in sync? Reply with quote

In my private home net I am facing the situation that the number of devices with small data capacity grows whereas the amount of data grows. Therefore I set up a NAS.
1) Now I would like to store my audio collection, movies, photos, archived office documents, pdf and whatsoever on my server within one directory tree and...
2) have e.g. part of the audio files on my smartphone, part of the archived docs on my laptop and another part of the data on my netbook.
Since I am driven by an healthy dose of paranoia I prefer to
3) encrypt my data as well as my network connections.
4) The data should be accessible to other well knowns participants (i.e. not guests) of my private home net
which do not want to fiddle with console or complex sync tools - so
5) syncing should be automated (as long as there are no unresolvable conflicts) and
6) operation should be straightforward.
7) All devices have a linux os - no mac nor windows support needed :-)

Codafs seems to fulfill most parts of my requirement but according to some older forum posts it is unstable and deprecated. Is this true or do you have other experiences?

Or do you know any other solutions to meet my requirements? For example a combination of sshfs and rsync or unison?
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: codafs? Or alternatives for keeping files in sync? Reply with quote

I'd be careful with wholesale encryption - it will slow things down and could render your data inaccessible if you break something or lose the key/password. Save it for data that should be encrypted and I wouldn't include music/pics in that.

I use a central store as well on my MythTV backend/web server/phone exchange/DNS server/everything else! I then have an rsync server listening and then scripts to pull the data out via cron jobs to clients.

Rsync will also run through an SSH daemon, so that will fulfil your encrypted traffic requirement. In fact if you don't start an rsync daemon and instead use a command such as:

Code:

$rsync user@remotehost.example.co.uk:/home/user/files/* /home/user/files/

Then you will rsync your data over an SSH session (assuming the other end has an sshd listening.

However you say others should not have to play with the console. Union it is then!

You might want to evaluate the likes of Dropbox and Co as well.

Cheers
Jon
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out Unison - it's what I use to keep machines (well, directories) in sync.

Will
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: