Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] b2evolution: Post bodies not being displayed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ipic
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] b2evolution: Post bodies not being displayed Reply with quote

I have a b2evolution blog here - http://www.pickworth.me.uk/b2evolution/

Problem is that after posting a new article today, the body text of all the articles does not display. All you get are the headings.

This is probably a very simple style-sheet or PHP thing - but my skills are low to non-existent :(

If anyone can point me at things to look at that would be great. I've had a dig around files in ./conf and ./skins, but I can't spot anything that has changed in a long time.

Versions installed:
Code:
www-apps/b2evolution-1.10.2
dev-lang/php-5.3.5
www-servers/apache-2.2.16


Many thanks in advance.


Last edited by ipic on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ipic
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging a bit. The file that is building the page is ./skins/custom/_main.php
The relevant piece of code appears to be this:
Code:
<h3 class="bTitle"><?php $Item->title( '', '', true ); ?></h3>
                <div class="bText">
                        <?php $Item->content(); ?>
                        <?php link_pages( '#', '#', 'number', '#', '#', '%d' ); ?>
                </div>

If I look at the rendered page source (in a browser), I see this as an example:
Code:

<h3 class="bTitle">Gorgeous Peanut Butter Cookies</h3>
<div class="bText">
   </div>


So,
Code:
$Item->content();
is returning spaces?

Anyone got an idea what I could have inadvertently done to this thing to stop it working?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ipic
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still digging.
I found a table in the database:
Code:
evo_item__prerendering
In this were two entries for a recent post. For the itpr_format value of 'htmlbody', itpr_content_prerendered contained spaces. But, for itpr_format value of 'xml' the itpr_content_prerendered field contained the text of the post. I suspect the 'xml' is for an RSS feed, but shows that some part of the system can read and display the post.

In another post that contains an
Code:
<a href.. .../a>
field, only the a tag is present. All other text in the post is ignored.

All the database tables appear OK. I've tried running the upgrader via the install process, but it says the database is at correct version.

Very strange. All the posts, complete with contents, are present in the table evo_posts.

Digging continues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tomk
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Posts: 7219
Location: Sat in front of my computer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make any changes before is stopped working? Any updated packages or changes to config or anything? Things don't usually randomly break without a bit of help :)
_________________
Search | Read | Answer | Report | Strip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ipic
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is its been about seven months since the lady wife posted anything. Problems appeared after she tried to post yesterday.

I am sure loads of things have changed - in fact just about everything related to this site at some stage (new PHP, b2evolution upgrade, apache upgrade).

The previous posts were all OK until I cleared the cache (thinking that might be the problem). So, I suspect that something to do with rendering HTML from the database entries has changed somewhere along the line. Given I know nothing much about PHP I have a steep learning curve :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tomk
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Posts: 7219
Location: Sat in front of my computer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've not played with b2evolution so I don't know the specifics but it's worth trying to find where the problem is. Is there anything in your apache error logs that might suggest it's a php problem?
_________________
Search | Read | Answer | Report | Strip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ipic
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Dec 2003
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem!

By trial and error on another server I worked out that I had to uninstall all the plug-ins via the blogs admin pages.
When all plugins removed, content magically re-appeared.

Then, add back plug ins to get what I need.

Hope this helps someone - I have just had three days of the lady wife bending my ear :)

Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum