View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found the bug that reports grub as broken.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duncanphilipnorman wrote:
I think you need glibc-2.13-r2...

Yes, I can confirm this now; at least glibc-2.11.3 is not sufficient. After upgrading glibc, there was not problem compiling gcc-4.6, even with unsafer flags...
I think the most severe problems with glibc-2.13-r2 are solved now: skype was upgraded, adobe-flash was patched. So far, I had no problems concerning glibc-2.13-r2.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
Okay, I found the bug that reports grub as broken.

But it is a bad sign that broken code is produced. However, grub mixes assembler with C, so if some interface has changed, this need not be a compiler bug.
However, if kde does not start, I will also better not try to use gcc-4.6 as system compiler yet, although I must say that for development, I prefer the new warnings and the clearer warning messages.
bingyuan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc 4.6 compiles glibc-2.13-r2, then glibc causes serveal segfaults: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362391

and...my gtk icons missed...(seems caused bt gtk_3.0.*)
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just copied the stage* files from the system rescue CD. That fixed the grub boot problem for me.
duncanphilipnorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
I think you need glibc-2.13-r2...

Yes, I can confirm this now; at least glibc-2.11.3 is not sufficient. After upgrading glibc, there was not problem compiling gcc-4.6, even with unsafer flags...
I think the most severe problems with glibc-2.13-r2 are solved now: skype was upgraded, adobe-flash was patched. So far, I had no problems concerning glibc-2.13-r2.

Do you know if packages are patched in amd64 (vs. only in ~amd64)?

Edit: grammar.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if packages are patched in amd64 (vs. only in ~amd64)?

Usually this was never the case for new gcc/gibc: If some package breaks with the new version, you have to enter that package in yuor /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.
duncanphilipnorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:

Usually this was never the case for new gcc/gibc: If some package breaks with the new version, you have to enter that package in yuor /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.

Okay, thanks... I guess I just won't be installing gcc-4.6.0 for now. That'll make my systems unsuitably unstable, just for the sake of adding a new secondary compiler for development.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install gcc-4.6 for development without a problem, just don't set it as the default compiler!

(Also make sure you don't accidentally remove the old one with depclean)
duncanphilipnorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
You can install gcc-4.6 for development without a problem, just don't set it as the default compiler!

(Also make sure you don't accidentally remove the old one with depclean)

No, I can't: it won't build without glibc-2.13-r2, which breaks a whack of stuff in stable. See the discussion above.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. I knew that glibc-2.13 caused problems when built with gcc-4.6, but I missed that you can't build gcc-4.6 without glibc-2.13. That's really weird considering that gcc is supposed to be extremely portable... 8O
duncanphilipnorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
Oh, sorry. I knew that glibc-2.13 caused problems when built with gcc-4.6, but I missed that you can't build gcc-4.6 without glibc-2.13. That's really weird considering that gcc is supposed to be extremely portable... 8O

Indeed... it's quite frustrating! I wish I had time to look into whether it's a glibc bug that gcc-4.6 exposes, or a gcc bug.
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can't: it won't build without glibc-2.13-r2, which breaks a whack of stuff in stable. See the discussion above.

What discussion are you referring to? Is it this comment:

bingyuan wrote:
gcc 4.6 compiles glibc-2.13-r2, then glibc causes serveal segfaults: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362391

This bug report says that compiling world with both gcc 4.6.0 and glibc 2.13-r2 will break things, then compiling them again with gcc 4.5 solves the problems. So this is fine. Use gcc-config to keep your safe gcc 4.4.5 or 4.5.2 by default, and call gcc-4.6.0 or gccgo on demand for your personal projects. I did not rebuild world (but I do a daily emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world) with gcc 4.5.2/glibc 2.13-r2 and so far nothing to mention.
duncanphilipnorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecko wrote:

What discussion are you referring to? Is it this comment:

bingyuan wrote:

This bug report says that compiling world with both gcc 4.6.0 and glibc 2.13-r2 will break things, then compiling them again with gcc 4.5 solves the problems. So this is fine. Use gcc-config to keep your safe gcc 4.4.5 or 4.5.2 by default, and call gcc-4.6.0 or gccgo on demand for your personal projects. I did not rebuild world (but I do a daily emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world) with gcc 4.5.2/glibc 2.13-r2 and so far nothing to mention.

Nope... I'm referring to the discussion about not being able to bootstrap with glibc-2.11.3. I use these systems for work, so I'm not going to risk updating glibc to unstable (similarly, I use stable gcc for the system compiler in gcc-config).

I'm not willing to use unstable glibc => I cannot bootstrap gcc-4.6.0 => I cannot use gcc-4.6.0 for development.
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glibc-2.13-r2, which breaks a whack of stuff in stable.

I can't find reports in bugzilla that glibc-2.13-r2 would break so many things in stable.

Of course if you do not want to tale risks, you just do not… but if there are problems with glibc 2.13-r2, I would be very interested to read about it to prepare myself, since I upgraded glibc a week ago on my work machine (to get gcc-4.6 and gccgo for development), build world packages with gcc-4.5.2 and up to now, everything works just fine.
duncanphilipnorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecko wrote:

Of course if you do not want to tale risks, you just do not… but if there are problems with glibc 2.13-r2, I would be very interested to read about it to prepare myself, since I upgraded glibc a week ago on my work machine (to get gcc-4.6 and gccgo for development), build world packages with gcc-4.5.2 and up to now, everything works just fine.

Your list about sums up what I came across; I'm just paranoid about taking risks with glibc, I suppose.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an FYI, I was able to compile gcc-4.6 against glibc-2.12 (my system is ~amd64 but I decided to not update to 2.13):

Code:
# emerge -qvp gcc glibc
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.6.0  USE="fortran graphite gtk mudflap (multilib) nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -gcj -go (-hardened) (-libffi) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla"
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.12.2  USE="(multilib) -debug -gd -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) -nls -profile (-selinux) -vanilla"

spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
As an FYI, I was able to compile gcc-4.6 against glibc-2.12 (my system is ~amd64 but I decided to not update to 2.13):

Code:
# emerge -qvp gcc glibc
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.6.0  USE="fortran graphite gtk mudflap (multilib) nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -gcj -go (-hardened) (-libffi) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla"
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.12.2  USE="(multilib) -debug -gd -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) -nls -profile (-selinux) -vanilla"

... and this prevents the strange behaviour of gcc-4.6 in combination with glibc in gtk-applications? E.g. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362391?
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: gfortran-4.6.0 problem Reply with quote

I thought I'd give the 4.6 codes a try. (But not on the gentoo package codes!) Compiling some Fortran codes one problem missed in the previous gfortran was caught so that is good. But an attempt at execution gave
Quote:
./main.ex: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.2/libgfortran.so.3: version `GFORTRAN_1.4' not found (required by ./main.ex)
Can anyone explain what should be done to fix this -- without breaking other things. Thanks,
Fred
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: gfortran-4.6.0 problem Reply with quote

Fred Krogh wrote:
Quote:
./main.ex: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.2/libgfortran.so.3: version `GFORTRAN_1.4' not found (required by ./main.ex)
Can anyone explain what should be done to fix this -- without breaking other things. Thanks,
Fred

You can see if the hints given on the gcc list work for you: http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/html/fortran@gcc.gnu.org/2011-02/msg00298.html
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this link. I can get this to work if I compile with gfortran-4.6.0, and before I run it, I have
Quote:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/
in the same terminal window. Note that the path is slightly different on Gentoo, than it was in the link given.
One compiler option suggested there was "-rpath=...". My compiler does not support this option, and I can't find any other sign that this option exists. I've tried to get everything working on the compile line (for use in a make file), but using
Quote:
-L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/ -lgfortran.so
fails with
Quote:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortran.so
even though /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/libgfortran.so does exist it doesn't want to look there. It seems that I could use something like that -rpath option.
If anyone can suggest something that will get this working without requiring the export in the terminal running the code, I'd love to see it. Thanks,
Fred
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Krogh wrote:
Thanks for this link. I can get this to work if I compile with gfortran-4.6.0, and before I run it, I have
Quote:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/
in the same terminal window.

This is, because this path is not in your default library search path. You can add it to your default search path (man ld.so), but then programs requiring gcc-4.5.* libraries might get confused. gcc-config will modify the default search path.
Code:
One compiler option suggested there was "-rpath=...".

It is not a compiler option but a linker option (man ld). However, using it has some drawbacks. Usually, it is better to let the system (i.e. gcc-config) decide which libraries to use. For instance, you might get troubles with rpath when gcc-4.6.1 comes out with (perhaps) some bug fixed in your fortran library. Then your program will still use the buggy library. On other systems, you binary might cause even more confusion. Roughly speaking, using -rpath means to override the global system defaults for your binary.
Quote:
If anyone can suggest something that will get this working without requiring the export

This export is the right way to do it: As long as you use gcc-4.6 only for testing/developing, it should not hurt to set the export in your local shell. If it is not only for developing you should switch to gcc-4.6 system wide with gcc-config. (Of course, I suggest that you use gcc-4.6 currently only for testing).
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm only using gfortran-4.6 for code development. That code is not likely to be done prior to this compiler being used for the rest of gentoo.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that grub legacy is currently broken with this gcc. Is grub2 also affected?

Does KDE 4.6.2 behave normally with this gcc?
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have some news for all those who wants to give gcc-4.6.0 a try as system compiler.

I have completely whiped my old gentoo installation and rebuild everything from scratch. By now (after a lot of headaches) i have a working kde-installation again, all compiled and working nicely with gcc-4.6.0, glibc-2.12.2 and binutils-2.21. The only thing i haven't been able to compile was dev-libs/nss-3.12.9. But everything else compiled nicely, without having to manually patch things (as far as i can remember this was the first time i tested a gcc-version that early and i didn't have to patch 100 things before i had everything back in place...)

My main headache was that when i booted from the livecd and directly tried to upgrade vom stable gcc-4.4.5 from stage3 to gcc-4.6.0. Building the toolchain itself was no problem but compiling other things afterwards led to, let me say it this way, interesting results. So i had to install gcc-4.5.2 first, build a toolchain with gcc-4.5.2 and upgrade to 4.6.0 afterwards. But as i said before i have a working kde installation by now and everything is working nicely so i think it's fair to say that gcc-4.6.0 can be used as system compiler without any problems. When it comes to gtk-applications i have to say that i didn't see any problems with gcc-4.6.0 and glibc-2.12.2. I installed opera and it worked like a charm.

BUT i would only suggest to install gcc-4.6.0 now if you really know what you are doing else you might wreck your installation with just a few commands EASILY.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: