battery lifetime decreasing very fast
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barul
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: battery lifetime decreasing very fast Reply with quote

Hi there.
On last Monday, I bought a new laptop, but "acpi -V" tells me that the whole capacity is at 98%. On Monday evening, it was at 100%.
Can it be because of I never let it discharging completely ? Do you have some tips to save my battery life?

Thanks in advance.
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can you pls. explain better your problem? Didn't get the point.
About the battery: notebooks usually charge it only when the capacity is below 95% - nothing happens when it is still between 95 and 100%.
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: battery lifetime decreasing very fast Reply with quote

Cr0k wrote:
Hi there.
On last Monday, I bought a new laptop, but "acpi -V" tells me that the whole capacity is at 98%. On Monday evening, it was at 100%.
Can it be because of I never let it discharging completely ? Do you have some tips to save my battery life?

Thanks in advance.

I've never used acpi but have a look in /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info and state.

In info there is a "design capacity" and a "last full capacity". I suspect that the 98% is the ratio of these.

Against "battery type" you probably have LION or Lithium ION. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery, under Advantages there is listed "no memory effect".

So I would suspect that all you are seeing is that batteries are sent out provided their charge is within a certain tolerance of the design charge.

I see the following on my Dell Studio 17:

Code:

Info:

present:                 yes
design capacity:         5200 mWh
last full capacity:      4513 mWh
battery technology:      non-rechargeable
design voltage:          11100 mV
design capacity warning: 451 mWh
design capacity low:     0 mWh
cycle count:              0
capacity granularity 1:  100 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  0 mWh
model number:            Dell
serial number:           2301
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                SIMPLO

State:

present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            1 mW
remaining capacity:      4513 mWh
present voltage:         12373 mV

I suspect that programs like Powerdevil (KDE) etc look at the charging state for 100% and then compare remaining capacity against present voltage to show their percentage.

I don't know what acpi does 8)

Cheers
Jon
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I had a battery that was just below the design capacity when fully charged. I reboot and remove the AC cable and let the Grub menu being displayed until the laptop shut down because the power of the battery was to low. Than I put the cable in again. After the AC power charged the battery fully, the remaining capacity of the battery was at the design capability. This is possible when the battery is new. With time, I think there's nothing that can make the battery loose capability more or less, depending on it's quality and the use you make of it.

Some says that a battery must be completely discharged and fully recharged from time to time, like one time a month, others says that less you use it (under 85%), better it is. I am open to new espertises. I can say that my actual battery is at the design capacity when fully charged since I bought it 6 months ago. I use it very few.
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
Some says that a battery must be completely discharged and fully recharged from time to time, like one time a month, others says that less you use it (under 85%), better it is. I am open to new espertises. I can say that my actual battery is at the design capacity when fully charged since I bought it 6 months ago. I use it very few.

LION batteries (Lithium ion) don't have memory effects, they just degrade with time. Mine is around 18 months old and does not hit the design capacity any more.

I think NiCd (NICAD or Nickel Cadmium) do http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-cadmium_battery have memory effects.

I believe most laptop batteries have Li ion cells in them nowadays - they are the exploding ones - Mmmm exploding Apples!

Cheers
Jon
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just Google a bit to read that discharge/recharge completely a battery is applyable to Nickel Cadmium ones. Apply that to Lithium ion ones can dammage them and even worst. So, make your own searches and only do things "if you know what you do". I often read that in Linux world. I appreciate the philosophy and I try to keep it in mind.
:D
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
I just Google a bit to read that discharge/recharge completely a battery is applyable to Nickel Cadmium ones. Apply that to Lithium ion ones can dammage them and even worst. So, make your own searches and only do things "if you know what you do". I often read that in Linux world. I appreciate the philosophy and I try to keep it in mind.
:D

Ni Cd batteries suffer from a problem called 'memory effect', they need a complete discharge to put their cycles back in place.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: