Trying to use binary packages... [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Trying to use binary packages... [Solved] Reply with quote

Hi,

I have done this before in the past, but now it doesn't seem to work.

I have two systems which are identical in hardware, and identical in configuration.

Last night I recompiled the world on system A, with buildpkg in my make.conf, so /usr/portage/packages is filled with a bunch of binaries -- as it should be.

I rsynced that directory from systemA:/usr/portage/packages to systemB:/usr/portage/packages.

I then on systemB I issue:
Code:

export PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
emerge -k y -uDN world

And it refuses to use the binaries. It starts downloading and compiling everything as if the -k option was not used.

I have tried to use the --usepkg and the --usepkgonly flags along with the capital K -- nothing works. I have exported my PKGDIR both in my make.conf and in the shell and an "emerge --info" shows the PKGDIR as plain as day.

Why is portage ignoring the -k? I have used it before several times in the past, and don't recall running into this problem.

Thanks for the help.

G

cat /etc/make.conf
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
#USE="kde hal dbus fluxbox eterm sdl mmx sse sse2 nvidia xvmc dvd cdr alsa usb -gnome -qt -gtk -ipv6 -bluetooth -arts"
USE="X amr pulseaudio a52 irc oscar msn skype yahoo v4l v4l2 nspluginwrapper lcms raw gmplayer lib32 fuse id3 mtp jpeg zip bzip2 exif xvmc divx 3dnow realmedia mp3 xv flac dts hal dvdread ppds nsplugin nvidia vorbis usb wmv vidix gtk gtk2 gimp gimp-2.2 gimpprint svg libusb xsane gnome cddb apic alsa distcc java apm -arts fbcon avi cups mpeg crypt dvd flash gif gphoto2 gpm kde mmx motif ncurses oggvorbis opengl pam perl png qt4 quicktime samba spell ssl tcpd tetex tiff truetype xscreensaver oss dv dga v4l v4l2 ffmpeg ogg nptl nptlonly -bluetooth -gnome -ipv6 -bluetooth -arts"
MAKEOPTS="-j7"
FEATURES="distcc ccache buildpkg parallel-fetch"
#FEATURES="buildpkg parallel-fetch"
CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
CCACHE_DIR="/var/tmp/ccache"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon vesa"
LINGUAS="en_US en"
LANGUAGE="en_US"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* @EULA"

Last edited by grooveman on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your PKGDIR points to /usr/portage/packages, you need to put your binaries in /usr/portage/packages/All/.

Also, I don't think the -k option needs to be passed the 'y' argument. Try just emerging one package to start with the -K option, just to make sure the world argument isn't messing anything up (not that it should).

Code:
echo "PKGDIR=\"/usr/portage/packages\"" >> /etc/make.conf
cp mypackage.tbz2 /usr/portage/packages/All/.
emerge -K mypackage
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... Thanks Mike.

I don't remember having to set an "All" directory... perhaps I did and I forgot... In fact, that makes no sense to me, because portage dumps straight to /usr/portage/packages by virtue of putting buildpkg in my make.conf. If I had to use the All subdir, then my system A would never find its own binaries. I suppose I could resolve this with a symbolic link, but that seems silly. Why not just have it use /usr/portage/packages?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "Packages" index file was not transfered and/or updated after you rsynced.
Code:
emaint --fix binhost

That will update it. You should be good to go after that.

The "All" directory is part of the old system and is no longer used.
rh1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it should work fine with PKGDIR set in make.conf but since it doesn't , what about setting PORTAGE_BINHOST in make.conf to point to your packages dir and using
Code:
emerge --usepkg --getbinpkg <package>
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grooveman wrote:
Hm... Thanks Mike.

I don't remember having to set an "All" directory... perhaps I did and I forgot... In fact, that makes no sense to me, because portage dumps straight to /usr/portage/packages by virtue of putting buildpkg in my make.conf. If I had to use the All subdir, then my system A would never find its own binaries. I suppose I could resolve this with a symbolic link, but that seems silly. Why not just have it use /usr/portage/packages?
Yeah, I don't know why it works this way with the /All directory, but I've been pushing out binaries in this manner to gentoo machines for years.

You should see if you have portage save binary copies of your packages that it will set up a directory structure to portage under /usr/portage/packages and under each of those directories it will symlink to the actual binary packages in /All. For the machines you are rolling the binaries out to, they just need to see the packages under /All.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

Yes, so this will work on a per package basis... but that only begs my next question:

How do I force portage to always try to use the binary package first? I'm concerned primarily with "revdep-rebuild"s here . Even having the binary where it can be found by doing a emerge --usepkg on a per-package basis, revdep-rebuild seems to disregard them. Which pretty much undermines what I'm trying to achieve here. I can't find anything in the manpages on this. It doesn't look like revdep-rebuild can take normal portage arguments, so I'm not sure what to do...
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to pass on extra arguments to portage, you need to add a dble dash "--" then the extra args.
Code:
revdep-rebuild -- --keep-going -k

Also, if your use flags are not set exactly the same or you have some different packages on this machine. A binary from the other machine may not satisfy the dependencies and needs to be built differently than the available binary.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks! I thought there must be a way... I just did not see that in the man page...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: