Ogle, OSS and Alsa
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
|ghost|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Ogle, OSS and Alsa Reply with quote

Hi, I just tried to get ogle running but when it tries to run a dvd it tanks because it can't find the alsa driver. Since I am using a audigy the only decent driver that is available to me is OSS, which works fine with XMMS, Xine et al. I know this has to do with the fact that i emerged gamix while looking for a decent X mixer which subsequently emerged alsa utils which I unmerged aftarwards when I figured out that my audigy wasn't supported. So, right now I'm thinking that the audio library (a52dec) that ogle uses still sees alsa drivers when it emerges and compiles against them for some reason, even tho I've only got OSS. Anyone have this problem before, should I build ogle and a52 from scratch?

thnks,
ghost
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try compiling them with -alsa oss which tells it "No alsa, please add oss support" but you may want to make that a more permanent change given your description, if so edit your /etc/make.conf for your USE settings to reflect you don't want ALSA supported but you do want OSS supported. That should fix things up for you.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
|ghost|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:(
I tried setting -alsa and oss in the USE variable in make.conf but no dice, same error. It's still looking for the alsa drivers. Is there any commandline mojo I can do?

Also my /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer have permission problems, so I have to chmod +rw them every single time the computer boots which is getting really old. I only had to set the permissions once in RH and slack, so something is fishy.

Should I just compile a52 from the source and screw the ebuild?

Thanks for your help.
ghost
|ghost|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I fixed it. Seems there was alsa-lib still merged altho I never knew about it. Only problem is now ogle doesn't find any audio device even tho oss werks great with xmms etc.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to this page at the ogle site the support for OSS was recently added (6-11-02). It doesn't say what commands or switches one should use to run it with oss though. I know with xine there is a switch you can pass to the application before even launching it which will tell it what sound system to use. I imagine there is something similar with Ogle but I am not finding it. You might try doing

Code:
ogle --help

to see if there is any such switch that can be passed easily.

Their FAQ indicates though that if you do not hear anything you should attempt to change to the AC3 audio stream because both mpeg and dts do NOT work in ogle.

Other than that I don't see anything that looks pertinent to your situation. I guess you should also check the volume control inside ogle though (I'm sure you already did!)

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: