[WORKAROUND] Starcraft 2 and Nvidia
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: [WORKAROUND] Starcraft 2 and Nvidia Reply with quote

Is anyone running Starcraft 2 (through Wine, obviously) on an Nvidia card? I have for quite awhile and it's worked swimmingly. However, I'm finding that if I update from nvidia-drivers-256.53, Starcraft 2 ceases to start properly (it'll exit almost immediately after displaying nothing, Wine spits out a few wininet fixmes, but that's it). I've tried 260.19.21, 260.19.29, 260.19.36 and 270.18, all of which failed in exactly the same way.

Please note that simply reverting the nvidia drivers back to 256.53 fixes this problem... truly bizarre!

Does anyone have any insights, suggestions or otherwise useful collections of words they can share on this topic?

Last edited by Mad Merlin on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Gear.0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been trying to get this working myself and I have an NVIDIA GTX 295 card.

However, for me it crashes during the update. I can't even get into the actual game. The updater comes up and then after a while it just crashes.

My nvidia driver version is 260.19.36 but I am not sure if changing that would help at all as I've said it is just the updater and not the actual game. Did you have any problems with the updater in wine? Or did you do something to bypass it maybe, like copy over a windows installation, or somehow apply the update manually without the updater?
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had issues with the updater or the installer in Wine, they just worked for me. FYI, if you want to try 256.53 on 2.6.36 (and probably newer kernels as well), you'll need the patch posted a few comments down here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2329622
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350336

Remounting /tmp without noexec appears to be a valid workaround to make Starcraft 2 start again with newer nvidia-drivers (it was actually affecting a lot more than just SC2, as you can see in the bug).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: