slow slugish rendering of browser firefox and konqueror AGP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: slow slugish rendering of browser firefox and konqueror AGP Reply with quote

I found something that maybe of interest to AGP users if they ever have this problem.

The problem occurs when strange corrupt artefacts appear on the screen during KDE load-up. After loaded the screen seems fine with my situation but on loading any web browser everything becomes bogged down and sluggish. :(

An example would be if you try to drag your browser windows and it moves really slowly as if the mouse is attached to it by an elastic band.

I found this by complete chance when working on grub2 to boot mac x86 osx, i had graphics problems when loading mac osx so in my bios i have a setting called AMTT this is a Multi Transaction Timer that allocates clock slices at 66mhz. These clock slices normally on the majority of agp main-boards are disabled (set to 00h), on my system i can change this value. The higher the number the longer the time given to transactions to clear the back buffer. 8O

Again i received strange artefacts on the screen in fact it looked like a messed up scrambled picture of my previous desktop session(goes to prove that even after you restart your computer this data remains in the graphics memory) :? 8O :?

Anyway the setting i had for this while i was suffering the slow sluggish screen corruption was 8 :idea:

Here is how i fixed it:

Yes I went into my bios and shifted the number to its max which was 38 so as i am to believe from my study that's 38 66mhz cycles.

Solved all the above issues by doing this so if anyone is having this issue just take a look in the Bios for AMTT or multi-transaction timer under your graphics/agp and increase the value.

Hope it helps someone or even points you in the right direction to fixing it. :lol:
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: