[qmail] where's my mail?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: [qmail] where's my mail? Reply with quote

I've just emerged qmail and fetchmail and run fetchmail with -v. I've setup fetchmail to deliver mail to my local user account.

Everything looks fine, got all my mail down (as far as I can tell from the output from fetchmail) except I can't find my mail anywhere on my system. Does anyone know what qmail will do to my mail by default? It looks as if it's using maildir, but I can't seem to find my mail anywhere in there :-(

Regards
- Jacob
bob_t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: [qmail] where's my mail? Reply with quote

jacob wrote:
It looks as if it's using maildir, but I can't seem to find my mail anywhere in there :-(

stupid question, so forgive me if you've already checked, but are you sure you're in the right directory? I didn't isntall qmail, but the defaults for postfix put it in ~/.maildir.
jacob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. ~/.maildir is totally empty.

I have a ~/Mail dir which contains what looks to be the maildir directories inbox, outbox, etc. - which all contain cur, new and tmp - but nothing in there either.
jacob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little snooping around the log files tells me that everything has been bounced. Apperently qmail couldn't deliver anything, so now I'm trying to put my mail in ~/mailbox instead of using maildir :-/
bob_t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacob wrote:
A little snooping around the log files tells me that everything has been bounced. Apperently qmail couldn't deliver anything, so now I'm trying to put my mail in ~/mailbox instead of using maildir :-/

Why couldn't it be delivered?
magoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add the directories cur, new, and tmp under the ~/.maildir directory owned and writeable only by the user.

i think youll run into this problem with new users too.. might be something wrong with the ebuild as im having the same problem.[/b]
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever find out what the problem was. I'm about to set up a qmail/fetchmail system (thinking of it anyway) to get the IMAP mail from my slow email server at work. I'm not familiar with either qmail or fetchmail and so I'm hoping it will be smoothe.
magoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacob wrote:
Yes. ~/.maildir is totally empty.

I have a ~/Mail dir which contains what looks to be the maildir directories inbox, outbox, etc. - which all contain cur, new and tmp - but nothing in there either.

that ~/Mail dir i believe is created by kmail. you could verify that by telling me youve run kmail before. mail is not delivered to that directory(s), rather kmail transports it there from the ~/.maildir directory (incoming mail, of course). (this is not 100% fact, but rather an understanding, i could be wrong :) )
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: [qmail] where's my mail? Reply with quote

jacob wrote:
It looks as if it's using maildir, but I can't seem to find my mail anywhere in there :-(

Make sure and make your Maildir using (not sure if the path is the same using Gentoo's ebuild):
Code:
/var/qmail/bin/maildirmake ~/.Maildir

I'm pretty sure the 'M' on Maildir is capital.

Also, check that the domain you are sending it too is in: /var/qmail/control/locals

You will have to reload qmail to make the updated locals config take effect.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
JB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: I found IT!! Reply with quote

LOOK IN

/var/qmail/alias/.*

maybe Im a newbie w/ qmail.. but why would it put it there???

If anyone knows how to make qmail deliver to $HOME/.maildir/ I would greatly appreciate it!!
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try something like
Code:
# echo ./.maildir/ > .qmail
# ln -s .qmail .qmail-default

edit: That's meant to be in your Homedir. The system default delivery should be set in /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery.

Yours,
Larde.
JB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: done that! Reply with quote

my home dir has those files and it still delivers to /var/qmail/alias/.maildir/

my /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery looks like this:

|dot-forward .forward
./.maildir/

Im not sure if I need a .forward file or not. All i want is mail just to but dumped right into $HOME/.maildir/ for all users. I think all these config files should not be needed for just standard single domain mail. Infact I would love to go back to sendmail but I can get smtp auth working. Qmail seems to do this ok but mail delivery is KRAZY!
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My defaultdelivery just contains the line ./Maildir, as I prefer "traditional" Maildir, but I don't have the .forward line.
Well, if all the mail is delivered to the alias user, this section from Life with qmail is probably noteworthy:
Quote:
qmail's standard aliasing mechanism is a natural outgrowth of qmail's local delivery mechanism. qmail-local attempts to deliver a message addressed to localpart@host to a local user named localpart. If no matching user is found, the message is delivered to the alias user, a pseudo-user on all qmail systems whose home directory is usually /var/qmail/alias.
So qmail doesn't seem to recognize your system users. Perhaps you have to use the /var/qmail/users/assign to get it working? I've got it filled with my users also, like
Code:

=kn:kn:500:500:/home/kn:::
+kn-:kn:500:500:/home/kn:-::
for my user kn and all the mail that should arrive to kn@ and kn-*@ my domain. I am not sure if that is actually needed in a clean setup.

Hope that helps somehow, perhaps the Life with qmail site can give you some more ideas,

Larde.

edit: Populating /var/qmail/users/assign seems to be neccessary. I just created a user bla without putting him into that file, and mail wasn't delivered to bla, but to my default user. So you might have a look at qmail-pw2u ("converts the system user database, /etc/passwd, into a series of assignments suitable for assign."), if you have a lot of system users already.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: