Script to build binary updates weekly?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Script to build binary updates weekly? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a script to build binary packages weeky. Currently I use a simple command:

Code:
emerge -uvBDN @world && echo "Binary packages are ready to install" | mail -s "emerge info" @mymail

The problem is that the -B option requires all build-time depencies re emerged on the system, which isn't always the case. Who knows a good script to build update binaries without installing them?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Script to build binary updates weekly? Reply with quote

Kasumi_Ninja wrote:
I'm looking for a script to build binary packages weeky. Currently I use a simple command:

Code:
emerge -uvBDN @world && echo "Binary packages are ready to install" | mail -s "emerge info" @mymail

The problem is that the -B option requires all build-time depencies re emerged on the system, which isn't always the case. Who knows a good script to build update binaries without installing them?

what about setting
Code:
FEATURES="buildpkg"
in /etc/make.conf?
this will create a bz2 of every software you emerge that holds the bins.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the help. I have buildpkg enabled, I'm looking for a script to build these binaries without installing them.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not possible, directly, anyway. Build-time dependencies are needed in order to complete the build of the package. If your question is, how do I build these packages without building their build time dependencies, well then, you can't.

However, if you just want to build the binary packages but don't care if the build time dependencies get built--but you don't want binary packages for the build time dependencies, try emerging with the following command line options. First, to build the build-time dependencies:
Code:
emerge --onlydeps -uDNv  @world
emerge --nodeps   -uDNvB @world
- John
dwbowyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --buildpkgonly

But you can't have unsatisfied dependencies (that are not installed on the system.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you absolutely don't want the build dependencies merged on your host system use a chroot for building the packages together with the --onlydeps/--nodeps trick.
By definition it is necessary to merge the build dependencies on the build system, just like it's necessary to merge the runtime deps on the target system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: