Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wanted: good guy with gun.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Wanted: good guy with gun. Reply with quote

(or bad guy without one)

3 dead in Arizona

Quote:

Police did not know what kind of gun was used. The suspect is described as a white male in his 60s. Police are not sure if the shooter is still inside the building. The building has been evacuated and the area around the premises has been sealed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad. It will be even more sad when the ignorant masses further knee-jerk away our civil liberties.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not statistically relevant.

very few media outlets write about the hero who saved the convenience store because he was packing and the bad guy got caught.

it's further well documented that many of these incidents go unreported, because the good guys don't want some jerkoff media crew or cops breathing down their neck because, although they saved lives, they have no idea whether they violated the law by technicality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Authoritarian talibans cannot find a hobby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns don't save people; people save people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Guns don't save people; people save people.
++

Often with guns.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
Guns don't save people; people save people.
++

Often with guns.

More often without?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Often with guns.


Sorry. If guns don't kill people they don't save people either. You don't need them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
pjp wrote:
Often with guns.


Sorry. If guns don't kill people they don't save people either. You don't need them.


Zing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
not statistically relevant.

very few media outlets write about the hero who saved the convenience store because he was packing and the bad guy got caught.

it's further well documented that many of these incidents go unreported, because the good guys don't want some jerkoff media crew or cops breathing down their neck because, although they saved lives, they have no idea whether they violated the law by technicality.


My point is that the good guy is nowhere to be found, like in most of the 10,000 or so homicides.

I have an idea. Why not just station a guard EVERYWHERE!?! Adults are important too. Why should only little snots getting an education get guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Authoritarian talibans cannot find a hobby.

Zing!

Also, juniper, thank you for demonstrating your intellectual dishonesty yet again, by focusing for the umpteenth time on anecdotal evidence, in blind faith that this does not merely amplify the fact that you have no case.
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Authoritarian talibans cannot find a hobby.

Zing!

Also, juniper, thank you for demonstrating your intellectual dishonesty yet again, by focusing for the umpteenth time on anecdotal evidence, in blind faith that this does not merely amplify the fact that you have no case.


oh. I fully admit one incident doesn't mean anything (except, perhaps the primary school thing as it was so tragic).

I was just joining in on the games, posting stories where a good guy DIDN'T help (as people seem to be interested in the opposite).

this is not proof of anything of course. It just highlights that you can't just have "good guys" protecting everything.


Last edited by juniper on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You choose to see it within an authoritarian framework, because that's who you are: when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean cops; they mean people being able to protect themselves and their property, which is their right. So your joke about, "Sure! Let's just put guards everywhere!" misses the point and only reveals your own authoritarian collectivist programming.

To be fair, however, I'll acknowledge this: anybody who parrots that crap about "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", needs to understand that background checks are very consistent with this thinking, as are measures to ensure people maintain control of their firearms (that they do not flow into the black market) as are measures that would restrict personal sales and gifts of firearms to individuals not restricted from having them.
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
You choose to see it within an authoritarian framework, because that's who you are: when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean cops; they mean people being able to protect themselves and their property, which is their right. So your joke about, "Sure! Let's just put guards everywhere!" misses the point and only reveals your own authoritarian collectivist programming.

To be fair, however, I'll acknowledge this: anybody who parrots that crap about "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", needs to understand that background checks are very consistent with this thinking, as are measures to ensure people maintain control of their firearms (that they do not flow into the black market).


i never said the good guy needs to be a cop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong. You need a guy with a good gun.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
You choose to see it within an authoritarian framework, because that's who you are: when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean cops; they mean people being able to protect themselves and their property, which is their right. So your joke about, "Sure! Let's just put guards everywhere!" misses the point and only reveals your own authoritarian collectivist programming.

To be fair, however, I'll acknowledge this: anybody who parrots that crap about "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun", needs to understand that background checks are very consistent with this thinking, as are measures to ensure people maintain control of their firearms (that they do not flow into the black market).


i never said the good guy needs to be a cop.

Correction: "when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean armed minions of das kollective; they mean individuals not being prevented from protecting themselves and their property, which is their right."

If you take away that right, then it falls upon the state to provide far, far more expansive defense of everyone's rights and property. This becomes a convenient excuse for the establishment of a police state which, rather than keeping people safe, has the primary purpose of keeping people in line (forcing them to obey the state, no matter how onerous its mandates are) and maintaining the state's monopoly on the use of force, rending the people forever helpless and incapable of resistance.
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disi
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 Nov 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: Out There ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Correction: "when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean armed minions of das kollective; they mean individuals not being prevented from protecting themselves and their property, which is their right."


You need to be very careful!
If the thief or whatever tries to leave your property it is not allowed to shoot him in the back, AFAIK. Even in the USA it is not tolerated to murder people who steal stuff?
_________________
Gentoo on Uptime Project - Larry is a cow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Correction: "when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean armed minions of das kollective; they mean individuals not being prevented from protecting themselves and their property, which is their right."


You need to be very careful!
If the thief or whatever tries to leave your property it is not allowed to shoot him in the back, AFAIK. Even in the USA it is not tolerated to murder people who steal stuff?


you are joking right? Of course it is!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disi
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 Nov 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: Out There ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
disi wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Correction: "when people say "good guys", they don't necessarily mean armed minions of das kollective; they mean individuals not being prevented from protecting themselves and their property, which is their right."


You need to be very careful!
If the thief or whatever tries to leave your property it is not allowed to shoot him in the back, AFAIK. Even in the USA it is not tolerated to murder people who steal stuff?


you are joking right? Of course it is!


This sounds resonable:
Quote:
Before we proceed you need to realize an important issue: In the American court system, life is normally given priority over property.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/lethalforce.html
_________________
Gentoo on Uptime Project - Larry is a cow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16116
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
pjp wrote:
Often with guns.


Sorry. If guns don't kill people they don't save people either. You don't need them.


Zing!
Both of you should look up the definition of tool. Education, you need it.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zing!

Spank!
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
It just highlights that you can't just have "good guys" protecting everything.


Which is why it is better if people protected themselves. Arming yourself is a much better alternative than living in a police state with a cop every 10 meters.
_________________
I, for one, am glad to be living on a planet with 776x the mass of the super-massive black hole at the center of the milky way.
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zing!
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Zing!

This is you not appealing to ridicule is it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me ridiculing, plain and simple. An "appeal to ridicule" is when you're trying to degrade your opponent's argument by ridiculing it. Here, his argument is never a consideration; all I'm ridiculing is his asinine blurting of "Zing". :lol:
_________________
"The accumulation of all power, legislative, executive, and judiciary in the same hands...may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
--James Madison, Federalist 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum