USB Sound much too loud
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbmonster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: USB Sound much too loud Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I bought a "Creative Sound Blaster Play!" USB sound card to replace my laptops crappy onboard chip. The USB card works fine (I guess with snd_usb_audio and snd_usb_lib, "lsmod | grep snd" lists 13 additional modules), except for the fact that it is VERY loud.
I plug my headphones directly into the headphone jack, and using alsamixer the volume distribution is as follows:
0-3% (-28.3dB to - 27.63dB): the sound is muted, totally.
4-5% (-27.63db to -26.88dB) : the sound is OK for when I'm actively listening to music, I often would like to have it quieter.
5-100% : I fear for the health of my eardrums and for my headphones.

On a sidenote: 4%-5% are 4 discrete values (different values of dB). They are exactly the same volume. Yes, I have exactly ONE level at which I can use the card.

Is there anything I can do about that? Can I send the entire output through a software filter without losing to much quality? Am I missing drivers/modules for greater control of the output?

All responses are appreciated.

PS: I use only the basic ALSA setup, done 2 years ago as instructed in the gentoo handbook.
no OSS, no pulseaudio, and I don't have the desire "upgrading" to pulseaudio.
EatMeerkats
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a PCM channel in alsamixer? If you do, maybe you can decrease the volume there? Otherwise, I think pulseaudio is your best bet, unfortunately. :twisted:
pbmonster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for responding.
In fact I don't have a PCM mixer, and up until now I didn't miss one either, because the onboard chip always started making weird noise when PCM went above 50%.

Now that I have googled PCM and know what it is, I realised it's probably exactly what I need. Can you shove me in the direction of "HOWTO add a PCM mixer to a card that doesn't have one already"? Thanks again ;-)
EatMeerkats
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really just add a PCM channel to an existing mixer — it's dependent on the driver, and your USB sound card's driver apparently doesn't have one. Your best option at this point is probably to bite the bullet and give PulseAudio a try. It's really not difficult to get working. Just 'emerge pulseaudio', add 'pulseaudio' to your USE flags in /etc/make.conf, re-emerge at least alsa-plugins, then put the following in /etc/asound.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

Of course, you can go ahead and re-emerge any other applications that support pulseaudio, but you can get by with simply redirecting ALSA to pulseaudio using the configuration above. Once you have pulseaudio up and running, you can use something like pavucontrol to control the volume (of each application individually, even!). If things aren't working out with pulseaudio, simply remove/restore /etc/asound.conf and unmerge pulseaudio.

A couple of helpful pages on pulseaudio:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

Hope that helps!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: