recommend a gamepad for emulators
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: recommend a gamepad for emulators Reply with quote

I'm in the oldschool-mood again, playing good old games - currently TLoZ:OoT on Wii VC, but I'd also like to play some games on the computer and therefor need a proper gamepad.

I'm mostly interested in the good old Nintendo and Sega consoles, thus (S)NES, N64, MS, MD. In an ideal world, a german shop would be prefered, but I couldn't find any good pads, yet, and adapters/originals with USB are quite expensive.

So please, some advice is very welcome, budget is currently ~50€, thanks.
barul
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if you can find this one in your country (it's on a french website), but I've got it and I like it :

http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Jeux-Consoles/Playstation-2/Manette/THRUSTMASTER/415046-3-in-1-Dual-Trigger-Gamepad-PS3-PS2-PC.htm
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite ok, gotta see if it's available in a local store to try out, it's available online via Amazon and a few others.

Idealy my new pad should have: 1x digipad, 2x thumbsticks, 6 buttons (2x3, aka MegaDrive), 4x trigger, 2x buttons (start/select) - all that in a good quality, preferably from a non noname producer.

Edit, found the Saitek P2600, which has the wanted features/buttons, but according to some reviews is built quite poorly and tends to break easily :/
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've found my PS3's sixaxis controller to be excellent for emulators, genesis games require slight re-mapping but there's plenty of buttons for most consoles. I have some gravis pad's I loved as well, don't remember the exact model, but they don't get used anymore. (partly because using a sixaxis over bluetooth is both a nicer and better controller, partly because my newer sound card doesn't have a midi port :/ ). Dunno about there but you can pick one up here for $20 used and they're pretty sturdy.

Actually, I'd be willing to bet I've used the sixaxis far more on my PC than on my dusty old ps3.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor85 wrote:
genesis games require slight re-mapping but there's plenty of buttons for most consoles.
Would you mind telling me, how you'd personally go about remapping these? I mean not from the perspective of the app, that is rather clear, but from the perspective of the mind? Ie can you recommend a "simple" game to get used to the remapped layout without getting frustrated to fast?

I once tried mapping
3 4 -> C C
1 2 -> A B
, but for games using the 6-button layout, I couldn't really get used to it.

Edit, I'm currently using my real wiimote successfully with dolphin-emu, but I couldn't find a good howto on how to use it with other emus as well, if someone has some input here, maybe that could save me the money for a new controller and get me an usb-adapter for the genesis controller instead.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a sega saturn controller if you want to play 6 button games. Either the original model 2 (or japanese) controller with a saturn to pc adapter, or one of the USB ones that are available. Not all of the USB ones are very good, though. The PlaySega one for instance isn't as good as the original.
na641
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 360 gamepad. Has native support, works great. Has a similar layout to original snes controller, and works great of course with psx games. Just the best for me.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Logitech Rumblepad 2... quality wise it's a solid gamepad, only minor annoyance is that the analog sticks can't "snap" to all 8 directions if need be like the nintendo controllers do.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen a pad for the Saturn until now, looks good for everything except N64, PSX, ...

As for the x360-pad, I find the d-pad really bad. It's ok for Mario Kart, but for games needing perfect control - Street Fighter, Sonic, ... - it totally sucks, imho.

I'm doing some research for the Saturn pad(s), til know, I only found used one's or really cheap stuff.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
Raptor85 wrote:
genesis games require slight re-mapping but there's plenty of buttons for most consoles.
Would you mind telling me, how you'd personally go about remapping these? I mean not from the perspective of the app, that is rather clear, but from the perspective of the mind? Ie can you recommend a "simple" game to get used to the remapped layout without getting frustrated to fast?

I once tried mapping
3 4 -> C C
1 2 -> A B
, but for games using the 6-button layout, I couldn't really get used to it.

Edit, I'm currently using my real wiimote successfully with dolphin-emu, but I couldn't find a good howto on how to use it with other emus as well, if someone has some input here, maybe that could save me the money for a new controller and get me an usb-adapter for the genesis controller instead.

For most game's it's a simple remapping of the far left two or far right two buttons to the lower 2 triggers on the shoulders. A few games I keep specific profiles, such as if a button is for something like "dash" "speed" or "switch item" I'll map that to those instead and do a custom layout. I actually prefer it to even my real genesis/segacd controllers, It's a bit easier to combo with it all laid out under my hands like this, It's great for playing touhou as well :) (though I have big hands, and never terribly liked my segacd controllers, so YRMV)

For N64 i use the right stick as the "c" buttons, upper triggers as L and R, lower left trigger as Z, works great.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an XBOX 360 gamepad, and it works quite well with Dolphin. Even in Windows, I play Street Fighter with the keyboard, and am probably better at it that way. For flight simulators like IL2, one really needs a flightstick/joystick, even a $30 one is good.
wah_wah_69
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2d games I'd get a saturn usb pad, search on ebay.

For 3d games / games requiring an analog stick i'd get an xbox1 or xbox 360 wired controller.

The 360 just needs drivers that came with the kernel, the xbox1 pad uses the same drivers but you need to solder a usb cable.

http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbox_wiring.html

edit: A ps1 /ps2 pad with a usb adapter is a valid option too.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 360 wireless controller but I use a driver patch that I apply every time I update my kernel as it makes the controller work better. Regardless, the 360 controller works great and I think it is perfect in most ways. The only thing it falls short on is the D-Pad as has been mentioned. There is a redesign featuring a new d-pad though: http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/31/new-xbox-360-wireless-controller-featuring-a-transforming-d-pad.aspx
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a PS3 controller. It just works! :)
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a PS3 dualshock 3 which is wonderful...apart from rumble. I would advise against a 360 wireless controller simply because it does not work in wired mode!?
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuppe666 wrote:
I would recommend a PS3 dualshock 3 which is wonderful...apart from rumble. I would advise against a 360 wireless controller simply because it does not work in wired mode!?

The wire for the 360 controller is only for charging. It is the same way when using it with the 360. That is why the cable comes in a charger kit. Using the wireless adapter you can connect 4 controllers to it using a single usb port.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these Saitek pads ages ago

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-P990-Dual-Analog-Game/dp/B000AL703E

And i use it for Mame/NES/Amiga stuff with no problems. Its nice having both the D pad and the analog stick depending on what you are playing. It also has a butt load of buttons which is great for things like Mame :)
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the above two posts from a duplicate which bore profile spam.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: