Device File System
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalfa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Device File System Reply with quote

Hello, I just installed Gentoo (whew!) and while the documentation was very good, I think I missed something. According to the installer guide, when congfiguring the options to be built in the kernel, "Under the "File systems" section, be sure to enable the "Device File System"" I couldn't find Device File System or DFS anywhere. Am I missing something? At startup there was a message saying that I hadn't configured for Device File System or something to that effect, but I was able to log in and start emerging. Do I need to recompile the kernel? If so, how do I do it right this time? Thanks.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, that's just what I needed, thanks. So do I have to erase everything now and start from scratch, or is there some way to recompile the kernel with that option? Thanks
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this thread.

:D
alfalfa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I couldn't get rid of the message saying that I hadn't compiled support for devfs in my kernel, so I'm starting from scratch right now. We'll see how it goes...
edwinchester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm stuck where alfalfa left off. I _know_ that I enabled the experimental options, and that I selected everything relating to devfs when using make menuconfig. I still get the message after booting something like "Gentoo requires a kernel compiled with devfs support. You didn't do that." So what did I forget?

Would I expect that the system at this point would have X, KDE or GNOME, etc? Or, to I have to emerge to get that?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mount /boot before copying in your new kernel? Compare "uname -a" to the timestamp of your freshly-built kernel to make sure you're actually running the kernel you think you are.
someguy01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: I am having the same problem. It may be a bug Reply with quote

I have selected the manilla 2.4.19 kernel and selected both "promt for experimental or incomplete drivers" as well as "Devfs( experimental enabled)". My /boot was installed and configured properly. I can't figure out what the problem is. I found a second bug on top of that. I decided to run make menuconfig again and selected some more settings. Now I can not even build the kernel if I do not select "smp". I do not have any smp related features selected that rely on smp like Numa. I get a "undeclared error" even if I do not select smp at all. I did the make clean so its not old and stale modules lying around. This is weird and I am wondering if its a corrupt makefile that is causing both errors. Perhaps the devfs is not being compiled at all.

Anyway I am now downloading a later kernel and will try the -ac series to see if I get the same errors. I will repost and let you know if I do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: